News   Jul 04, 2024
 739     1 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 661     0 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 594     1 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

i think the presto website looks the easiest to use, the other three websites look convoluted.

I'll just be happy if it works as advertised. There's no sense spending money on a web site if the product it sells doesn't work.

I'll just be happy if it works as advertised. There's no sense spending money on a web site if the product it sells doesn't work.
I agree. They are busy working through problems with the implementation and ensuring everything is working. A site update can be done later but at this point, additional work on the site could not possibly be called critical path.

In order to accommodate the TTC's transfer system, the Presto system would have to be tied into the bus' GPS system and know the exact location where you boarded the first bus, the exact location where you boarded the second bus, and then figure out if that transfer is even possible in the time you took to make the trip.

As such, is it safe to say that the TTC will have to move to a time-limited transfer system similar to those used by the 905 agencies?

That would be the single best thing the TTC could do for ridership. I'd ride the TTC so much more often if running multiple errands in an hour didn't involve four or five fares.

Better still, those kinds of trips (shopping, random errands) tend to be off-peak.

Last edited:
I'm in Hong Kong right now, and I've used the Octopus card at cafes (even Starbucks!), grocery stores, etc....any idea whether Presto might be used for small ticket items at places like Tim Hortons, Starbucks or Shoppers?

I'm in Hong Kong right now, and I've used the Octopus card at cafes (even Starbucks!), grocery stores, etc....any idea whether Presto might be used for small ticket items at places like Tim Hortons, Starbucks or Shoppers?

I've seen Presto reader installation work at several downtown subway stations (easiest to notice is College).
Does anyone know an exact date for the next expansion in the rollout? I know it's supposed to be "Spring", which puts it 1-4 months away.
I bet we're going to hear grunblings from city-dwellers about the fancy new fare machines in the subway that only suburbanites can use.

I bet we're going to hear grunblings from city-dwellers about the fancy new fare machines in the subway that only suburbanites can use.

And they'll only have yourself to blame :p

But seriously, I heard May. Someone posted an updated rollout schedule (probably DavidH) a while ago, but I can't remember if it was here or on CPTD or both.

That would be the single best thing the TTC could do for ridership. I'd ride the TTC so much more often if running multiple errands in an hour didn't involve four or five fares.

Better still, those kinds of trips (shopping, random errands) tend to be off-peak.

I am hoping that Presto will do more than just change the manner in which fares are paid. If Presto can change the actual fare structure, we'd be miles ahead. Some ideas:

- Get rid of certain types of double fares, such as paying a full subway fare to ride 2 stops after spending 45 minutes on a GO train.
- Create a GTA wide 2 hour free transfer limit, including trips using different transit systems.
- Severing the link between monthly passes and the actual calendar month, or in other words, allowing a monthly pass to span any consecutive 30 day period. Same for weekly passes.

Another idea would be for Presto to generate an annual total for transit expenditures each year so that your transit tax credit can include single rides.

The Metrolinx RTP calls for two things to address fares. The first is to implement Presto, and the other is to integrate fares. So it will happen... eventually.

Most of the suburban municipalities would be quite happy to have certain transit responsibilities taken out of their hands, but the TTC takes the opposite opinion. I don't think we could place them, because you would want control of your own house too. However, many people feel as if the ongoing negotiations about stable funding will come with some strings on governance. Fares could very well be one of them.

But seriously, I heard May. Someone posted an updated rollout schedule (probably DavidH) a while ago, but I can't remember if it was here or on CPTD or both.
The current public schedule is below. However, I wouldn't assume that all of these timeframes will be met. :)

Stage Two
Spring 2010:

* GO Transit's Lakeshore West, Georgetown and Milton GO Rail lines
* Oakville Transit
* Burlington Transit
* TTC (6 Subway Stations: Bloor/Yonge, College, Dundas, Queen’s Park, St. George, St. Patrick)

Stage Three
Fall 2010:

* GO Transit's Lakeshore East, Barrie and Richmond Hill GO Rail lines and associated GO Bus routes
* Mississauga Transit
* Brampton Transit
* Hamilton Street Railway
* TTC (Kipling and Islington Subway Stations)

Winter 2011:

* Durham Region Transit
* York Region Transit
* GO Transit's Stouffville GO Rail line and all remaining GO Bus routes
* TTC (Don Mills, Downsview and Finch Subway Stations)

Stage Four
Winter 2011:

* Ottawa's OC Transpo System.

I think he was talking about the specific month and date. I swear I saw it somewhere...

In order to accommodate the TTC's transfer system, the Presto system would have to be tied into the bus' GPS system and know the exact location where you boarded the first bus, the exact location where you boarded the second bus, and then figure out if that transfer is even possible in the time you took to make the trip.

As such, is it safe to say that the TTC will have to move to a time-limited transfer system similar to those used by the 905 agencies?

Or they could just permit Presto for initial fare payment and keep handing out paper transfers. :)

I think he was talking about the specific month and date. I swear I saw it somewhere...
Well, "spring 2010" should be interpreted as "May". Does that help?

I wouldn't care to be any more specific about future dates at this point. See my comment above about timeframes being met. :)

I love how Ottawa gets it before the TTC (aside from the subway stations) and they're not even in the GTA!

Back