News   Jul 04, 2024
 919     1 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 736     0 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 618     1 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

You mean Presto doesn't have the little lcd/led screen that displays current balance and balance deducted?

I believe he was referring a screen on the card itself (or in this case, a cellphone in lieu of a card), so that you could check your balance anytime. The machines will have displays that show that information.

that will make the cards too expensive to manufacture.
I dont know of any smartcard system that has a display on the card but some laptops have a reader so that you can pay with your card for online shopping (and presumably recharge/check balance as well)

I believe he was referring a screen on the card itself (or in this case, a cellphone in lieu of a card), so that you could check your balance anytime. The machines will have displays that show that information.
No display on the card? I hope there will be machines scattered around to check your card status then. And a web interface. With a mobile version and an iPhone/Android/BlackBerry/etc app.

No display on the card? I hope there will be machines scattered around to check your card status then. And a web interface. With a mobile version and an iPhone/Android/BlackBerry/etc app.

They are actually tying the service in with that company that has those annoying radio ads for home alarm systems with the voice telling the crook he has been caught.

As you walk through any transit area your card will be scanned and AlarmVoice will say, either, "He's ok, let him on the train!" or "Hey, this is Presto Alarm Voice, your balance is zero, the transit police have been dispatched"

Yes to "balance checking" machines, at least at GO stations. I'm sure the TTC will have when they get going.

Yes to a web interface.

Not sure about mobile web.

Phone apps are unlikely at least for the initial phases.

Yes to "balance checking" machines, at least at GO stations. I'm sure the TTC will have when they get going.
Surely when you tap in, at least at station, it would flash your balance at you quickly ... that's what most systems do.

Surely when you tap in, at least at station, it would flash your balance at you quickly ... that's what most systems do.
Yes, but if you want to check your balance *without* tapping, there are separate machines for that at GO stations.

Yes, but if you want to check your balance *without* tapping, there are separate machines for that at GO stations.
That makes sense; and I'm assuming one can just check on the web. Does it show you a record of all your trips, like Oyster? (though I guess not as detailed, as there won't be as much tapping out).

That makes sense; and I'm assuming one can just check on the web. Does it show you a record of all your trips, like Oyster? (though I guess not as detailed, as there won't be as much tapping out).
I haven't seen the customer web interface but I would assume so, since they've got the data.

Well, there is always privacy concerns. My wife and I tend to share cards/tokens, 10-ride trips around based on who is using most in a day; I'm sure we'd do the same. Do I really want her to know I snuck downtown to go Christmas shopping ... or worse? Now, I think that they should show the information ... having little worse to worry about :)

I had a brief look at the presto "machines" at union station and it seemed that is a separate area on the machine lower down where one could tap just to see their balance. So I don't know if there are exclusively separate machines just for balance checking. :confused:

Well, there is always privacy concerns. My wife and I tend to share cards/tokens, 10-ride trips around based on who is using most in a day; I'm sure we'd do the same. Do I really want her to know I snuck downtown to go Christmas shopping ... or worse? Now, I think that they should show the information ... having little worse to worry about :)
Would you still be sharing given that it would be a single card to cover all trips, though? Unless one person is actually staying at home on a given day, I think most couples will opt for separate cards.

The "or worse" intrigues me but I suspect you would not be wise to say any more in a public forum. :)

I had a brief look at the presto "machines" at union station and it seemed that is a separate area on the machine lower down where one could tap just to see their balance. So I don't know if there are exclusively separate machines just for balance checking. :confused:
I'm surprised at the "separate area" thing as it was not on the design shots I saw some time ago, but I haven't seen a final design machine so you may well be right. I can confirm there will be separate balance checking machines, although they may not have put any in Union just yet given this is just a field trial.

Last edited:
Would you still be sharing given that it would be a single card to cover all trips, though? Unless one person is actually staying at home on a given day, I think most couples will opt for separate cards.
As so far, the pricing seems to be based on number of trips in a month, I'd think the optimum usage would be to always use the card with the most trips. Normally I have the Metropass, and my wife uses tokens ... but on a day (like today) when I don't head to the office until mid-morning, and it's much quicker to drive, I often do; and she will then have the pass for the day instead of using tokens. And if only one of us is heading out in the evening ... they take the pass.

If both work every day taking transit; then yes, both would likely always be using their own pass.

The "or worse" intrigues me but I suspect you would not be wise to say any more in a public forum. :)
It might be ... worse is probably stopping at the comic book shop without showing up with her copy of Buffy. But I've heard talk that other's have more serious indiscretions ...

I'm surprised at the "separate area" thing as it was not on the design shots I saw some time ago, but I haven't seen a final design machine so you may well be right. I can confirm there will be separate balance checking machines, although they may not have put any in Union just yet given this is just a field trial.

I'll take another look tonight on my way home... maybe snap a pic too :)

I noticed today at union station that some genius installed a presto card reader between a bench and a support pillar, so it is rather difficult to access.

Back