News   Apr 16, 2024
 118     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.3K     5 

Metrolinx: Other Items (catch all)

This I like HOWEVER. I do not want this to be open season on the transit systems in Ontario.

A GTA wide fare would be good but the province needs to realise that service costs more in Toronto than it does in places like Mississauga or Durham Region.

When Covid first hit Miway was free, Toronto was not. You could not give free transit in Toronto because you would either bankrupt the city or be forced to cut alot of service to pay for it. This is a prime example of why you cannot have one fare across the GTA.

Metrolinx may want to have fare integration but unless the province subsidizes transit one way or the other it is a non starter.

This I like HOWEVER. I do not want this to be open season on the transit systems in Ontario.

A GTA wide fare would be good but the province needs to realise that service costs more in Toronto than it does in places like Mississauga or Durham Region.

When Covid first hit Miway was free, Toronto was not. You could not give free transit in Toronto because you would either bankrupt the city or be forced to cut alot of service to pay for it. This is a prime example of why you cannot have one fare across the GTA.

Metrolinx may want to have fare integration but unless the province subsidizes transit one way or the other it is a non starter.
Service does not cost more in Toronto. It's just that the majority of the TTC budget comes from fare revenue while the 905 is government subsidy from taxes. In fact, it cost more for 905 to run the transit system. Therefore during COVID, the TTC loss more revenue per rider than the 905.

I'm sorry, didnt the Ontario PC government just remove the co-fare agreement Metrolinx had with the TTC? I dont buy a lick of the garbage spewing from their mouths right now on this file.
Well as it turns out that was done because the program was severely over-budget by several million, and they couldn't come up with a better payment agreement with the TTC. That doesn't mean that the PCs don't think there should be fare integration, in fact that's exactly what's being asked here, find a balanced solution that doesn't result in overspending.

Well as it turns out that was done because the program was severely over-budget by several million, and they couldn't come up with a better payment agreement with the TTC. That doesn't mean that the PCs don't think there should be fare integration, in fact that's exactly what's being asked here, find a balanced solution that doesn't result in overspending.
We've heard that on before havent we, with the Hamilton LRT, Hurontario LRT, DRL, and the list goes on, and on, and on, and on. and on, and on

Dont mind them, it's just typical political spinning by the PC's.

We've heard that on before havent we, with the Hamilton LRT, Hurontario LRT, DRL, and the list goes on, and on, and on, and on. and on, and on

Dont mind them, it's just typical political spinning by the PC's.

oh, are they falling into the same trap as the Liberals, wanting some sort of revenue neutral fare system? that’s funny.

I reallly have no interest in seeing Metrolinx engage in any kind of governance talks with the City of Toronto, until Metrolinx is released from the grips of the Government of Ontario. This is an agency that has shown time and time again that it’ll enter into agreements with other levels of government, and then unilaterally renege on those commitments without hesitation.

I suspect one part of the "integration" could involve the amalgamation of transit agencies in Peel and Halton, similar to YRT and DRT.

The benefit in Peel is somewhat less than in other regions, which is not to say it would be a bad thing, but I'm not sure the value-for-money is there.

But I would strongly support a move to create Halton Region Transit.

I think the value-added there is more clear.

The benefit in Peel is somewhat less than in other regions, which is not to say it would be a bad thing, but I'm not sure the value-for-money is there.
But I would strongly support a move to create Halton Region Transit.
I think the value-added there is more clear.
Halton should definitely join York and Durham's lead and amalgamate transit. This would also help Halton Hills get their system off the ground.

Peel is harder as the two main cities are so damn huge. If Ford's government had been clear on Peel's future, it may make sense to just go-ahead and amalgamate their transit, but if they end-up as single-tier cities, then perhaps less so. No direction appears clear now until at least another election.

It would benefit the Town of Caledon, which is in the Region of Peel. See https://www.caledon.ca/en/town-services/transit.aspx

Would it? Or would anti-transit councillors in Caledon dilute support for transit in Brampton and Mississauga?

This much can be said, Mississauga and Brampton don't see eye to eye on much, but both would love to oust Caledon from Peel Region.

I see lots of potential for acrimony.

It may still make sense in the medium term.

But not something I would prioritize in a world of finite resources.

Back