News   Apr 26, 2024
 28     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 397     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 

Metrolinx: Other Items (catch all)

To the surprise of exactly no one.......

The Ford gov't has been caught directly meddling over at Metrolinx.

Of course Del Duca and the Liberals did much the same a few years earlier, seems pols, at least from teams Blue and Red can't resist.

In so far as certain projects will, by definition, require political support I'm not opposed to all intervention, but I think there should be no pretense of independence in such cases.

Don't bother having Metrolinx do a Business Case study or feasibility test if you're going to, as a government pursue a project anyway.

Save the taxpayer the $$$, wear the decision and just do it.

If you're going to have the bureaucracy attempt to objectively evaluate, then take your hands off the scale in respect of the outcome.

Last edited:
The 2020/2021 Metrolinx Procurement plan has been released. An interesting read to see what tenders are going out over the next year.

Lots of good stuff in there.

Don't want to copy/paste the entire thing.

But thought I'd share a cluster of construction tenders which may be revealing.

Caledonia GO Station
Aldershot Stn South Parking Exp. & Stn. Imprv. including Esc. Replace - Construction Contract
Confederation Station Hamilton - Construction Contract Tender in Market - Main works
Eglinton Accessibility Upgrades - Construction Contract
Georgetown station and layover - Construction Contract Tender
Bradford Parking and Bus Loop Expansion - Construction Contract
Barrie Double Track - Contract 3 - PH 2- Construction Contract
Barrie Double Track - Contract 3 - PH 1- Construction Contract
Port Credit Parking Structure and TOD - Construction Contract
Port Credit Station Rehabilitation and Elevator Replacement - Construction Contract
RER Rouge Hill Stn Expansion - Construction Contract
RER1 Kitchener Track Work - Construction Contract Tender in Market - 4th Track Construction T0 (Lansdowne to Black Creek)
Bloor Station - RFP Issue / Construction
Birchmount Bridge Engineering Design
Birchmount Bridge Construction
Aurora Station - Construction Contract
New Station And Platform Rehab-Richmond Hill
Lincolnville Layover Expansion - Lincolnville New Station
Barrie Double Track - Contract
Oriole Station Relocation - O&E
RER1 Kitchener Stations
Burlington Service Increase Increment

That last one intrigues me..............its not obvious to me what that's about.

When are they expected to start work on that? And have they decided to expand parking at Old Cummer to compensate for Oriole? Seems like it's been in the works for a while.

Lots of good stuff in there.

Don't want to copy/paste the entire thing.

But thought I'd share a cluster of construction tenders which may be revealing.

Caledonia GO Station
Aldershot Stn South Parking Exp. & Stn. Imprv. including Esc. Replace - Construction Contract
Confederation Station Hamilton - Construction Contract Tender in Market - Main works
Eglinton Accessibility Upgrades - Construction Contract
Georgetown station and layover - Construction Contract Tender
Bradford Parking and Bus Loop Expansion - Construction Contract
Barrie Double Track - Contract 3 - PH 2- Construction Contract
Barrie Double Track - Contract 3 - PH 1- Construction Contract
Port Credit Parking Structure and TOD - Construction Contract
Port Credit Station Rehabilitation and Elevator Replacement - Construction Contract
RER Rouge Hill Stn Expansion - Construction Contract
RER1 Kitchener Track Work - Construction Contract Tender in Market - 4th Track Construction T0 (Lansdowne to Black Creek)
Bloor Station - RFP Issue / Construction
Birchmount Bridge Engineering Design
Birchmount Bridge Construction
Aurora Station - Construction Contract
New Station And Platform Rehab-Richmond Hill
Lincolnville Layover Expansion - Lincolnville New Station
Barrie Double Track - Contract
Oriole Station Relocation - O&E
RER1 Kitchener Stations
Burlington Service Increase Increment

That last one intrigues me..............its not obvious to me what that's about.
Never thought of this before, but why is Hamilton's Confederation station not named Stoney Creek? Is there to be a Stoney Creek one a bit further west?

Never thought of this before, but why is Hamilton's Confederation station not named Stoney Creek? Is there to be a Stoney Creek one a bit further west?

I once asked this question, to which a Hamiltonian replied that Confederation GO isn’t actually in the former municipality of Stoney Creek. I still like the name Stoney Creek GO better though.

Yes. I think most people these days think of Stoney Creek being pretty much anything east of Confederation Parkway, but pre-2001 the Stoney Creek border zig-zagged through residential areas generally east of Confederation Parkway. The border along Barton is as far east as Grays Rd.

So Confederation GO is technically well within the former City of Hamilton.

^The original CNR Stoney Creek station was at Milepost 37.56, Lake Avenue.

Centennial Parkway is Mile 38.04. (measured from Suspension Bridge at the Niagara River) - one crossing to the west.

I looked in an old 1910 timetable in my collection, and there is no other station shown. There was a station name sign at "Gages" 2 miles west in 1910, but even then no depot or office and trains didn't stop there.

The heritage enthusiast in me would have loved Saltfleet, but for wayfinding reasons Centennial makes some sense given today's road network.

- Paul

Back