News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 332     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

Metrolinx: Other Items (catch all)

No. From stuff I have received from GO, it was mainly going to be Black and White. It has to do with the visual impair people.
Trying to accommodate the 0.005% ruins it for the rest of us. Hope the visually impaired are happy, because those of us who can see properly have a real difficulty finding their train on those new screens.

Trying to accommodate the 0.005% ruins it for the rest of us. Hope the visually impaired are happy, because those of us who can see properly have a real difficulty finding their train on those new screens.
Try telling that to the Human Right Tribunal as you will loose.

Lots of complaining from other people living near the Stouffville Line (I live near it). People complaining that trains are empty (I can say first hand that is not the case) as well as about noise. It would really be great if people who were bothered by train noise to not live right by train tracks . . .

Ditto for those who complain about airport noise and then live by the airport.

Ditto for those who complain about airport noise and then live by the airport.

When I moved next to the airport it was primarily a flight school between 10am and 4pm; when I left there were dozens of commercial flights 7 days a week before 8am and after 10pm. I can understand residents taking issue with a drastic change in the use of the corridor.

The province (with Metrolinx's help) kinda brings this on themselves via this trickle of grade separations (no intersection, no horn; same list as 2005 with a few complete) and what seems like never-ending delays over electrification (announced 2008?) which would reduce general noise.

Last edited:
Apparently, Metrolinx has been quietly contemplating doing something intelligent (change is good!) .....they're considering phasing out free parking, beginning later this year, with 1/2 of all spots to be paid by Sept 2022.

One word: Overdue!

Apparently, Metrolinx has been quietly contemplating doing something intelligent (change is good!) .....they're considering phasing out free parking, beginning later this year, with 1/2 of all spots to be paid by Sept 2022.

However some people are feeling a little differently about it

Meanwhile Metrolinx is doing little to make alternative modes of travel more appealing.

Last edited:

It might incentivize people who use those parking spots to drive downtown to avoid parking fees (though unlikely).

It might incentivize people who use those parking spots to drive downtown to avoid parking fees (though unlikely).
then they will pay to park downtown.

People are upset about stuff costing more, that makes sense. Reality is that for many it won't make sense to not drive. But for many, it will, and they will opt for that. For others, the paid parking will ensure they have a space when they get there.

However some people are feeling a little differently about it

Meanwhile Metrolinx is doing little to make alternative modes of travel more appealing.

GO Transit is a rare example of a public transit operator that has somehow managed to perpetuate urban sprawl, rather than reduce it. Every one of these spots just represents one more person that can now live in a sprawling suburb, clogging up our roads daily. It's totally anthietical to the model used by Toronto and the TTC, where damn near every single subway rider either walks, bikes or uses the TTC's incredibly robust bus network to access the TTC's rapid transit network. You'd be hard pressed to find any suburban areas in North America with a better transit network than Toronto's inner suburbs. Totally different story in the 905 though.

Sometimes I question if these parking spaces have done more harm than good. With our highways at capacity, if these parking spaces never existed, would we have seen denser development around these GO Stations, allowing people to conveniently walk, bike or bus to the GO train? Would the 905 outer suburbs more resemble the 416 inner suburbs, rather than being the sprawling, inefficient mess they are now? Would more people have chosen to locate in North York, Etobicoke and Scarborough, where public transit is more robust?

The inability of the provincial government to get more than a tiny fraction of GO commuters to GO stations via public transit is a huge public policy failure. And the 905 suburbs are laid out so inefficiently that I don't know that the problem of low transit ridership to GO stations ever can be corrected. At this point I'm just hoping that a capping the number of GO parking spaces will force denser development around GO stations, as the people will no longer have the option of driving to the GO stations. And hopefully more of the GTA's growth continues to be concentrated on the 416 suburbs, where public transit is more effective

Charging for parking is a good move. This should've happened decades ago

Charge for parking, drop fares by half of the park charge. Stays price-neutral for those who keep driving, but now they have an incentive not to.

Back