News   Apr 23, 2024
 910     2 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 423     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.1K     0 

GTHA Transit Fare Integration

You can if you're going to Bloor or Weston. I've journeyed to High Park many times via GO and UP from Rouge Hill.
Hey, I do the opposite in the Summer (Bloor to Rouge Hill) for a short outing on the bike with the dog, ( a gray area now accepted by GO staff if trip starts on UPX where it is in the tariff, which is being merged with GO's). Done it *many* times. But of course, someone says you can't. lol...Same person who thinks it's OK to cycle through red-lights.

It's excellent value for the money, outside of rush-hour, where bikes not permitted anyway on UPX or GO trains.

In fact, I have the dog tomorrow, and taking him on one of our standard Bloor to Weston jaunts, then down the Humber to the Lakeshore. He can run off-leash most of the way, save for crossing a few streets. One of the most civilized trips to be had in the City, and include routing through High Park on the way back from the Lakeshore.

Last edited:
Toronto City Council yesterday voted unanimously to direct the TTC to work with Metrolinx on a single, flat fare for the city that covers both Go Transit and the TTC.

https://www.insidetoronto.com/news-...single-fare-for-all-transit-trips-in-toronto/
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DOC3SzAWkAAUjrn.jpg
Sounds good at first glance...until the "flat" is considered. Unless it doubles, it won't work for GO. The best option for all: integrate the same fare per distance.

I think there are many downsides to "uploading" TTC in some format to the province.
But then they keep doing dumb, retrograde things like this that show a fundamental inability to understand the larger context in which they operate.

im really hoping that they do their "study" as an ack move and not another serious trumplike protectionist campaign

Nothing demonstrates the concerns of the above three posts more than the "two hour transfer" debacle.

If and when the TTC can understand the underlying logic of that, we *might* have grounds for moving the issue forward.

Not that Council could ever understand the nuances required...

If and when the TTC can understand the underlying logic of that, we *might* have grounds for moving the issue forward.

They understand the logic. They just don't see justification for the cost. The TTC was able to expand night bus service, create all the new express routes and allow all-door boarding on streetcars for the same cost as two-hour transfers.

Sounds good at first glance...until the "flat" is considered. Unless it doubles, it won't work for GO.

Why? Go has very, very few passengers within Toronto right now. The flat fare would just mean extra revenue for them - new passenger revenue would be way more than the small loss in existing passenger revenue.

Why? Go has very, very few passengers within Toronto right now. The flat fare would just mean extra revenue for them - new passenger revenue would be way more than the small loss in existing passenger revenue.

Not if the extra passengers within 416 displaces capacity for 905 (Union bound) riders - esp. during rush.

AoD

Not if the extra passengers within 416 displaces capacity for 905 (Union bound) riders - esp. during rush.

AoD

I would think, or hope, that the flat fare idea for in Toronto would be only once GO-RER starts running. At that time there will be more trains, and separate trains between commuters and those closer downtown.

Even with flat fares, the sluggish pace and unreliable timetables of the current GO system probably won't sway many riders going such a short distance.

Until its frequent service and quick electric trains you won't see many people wanting to use the GO system who are used to subways.

I would think, or hope, that the flat fare idea for in Toronto would be only once GO-RER starts running. At that time there will be more trains, and separate trains between commuters and those closer downtown.

For certain corridors maybe, I am not sure how much of a difference it will make for say LSW. I can see the flat fare thing turned out to be a "Smarttrak" one-off not applied to the rest of the system.

Even with flat fares, the sluggish pace and unreliable timetables of the current GO system probably won't sway many riders going such a short distance.

Until its frequent service and quick electric trains you won't see many people wanting to use the GO system who are used to subways.

It probably won't be competitive in the inner core; inner suburbs is a different matter entirely.

AoD

Last edited:
If council wants a flat fare at all costs, then just make the GO transit’s $5.30 base fare as the one fare for TTC and GO in the City of Toronto :). This would mean fare by distance for GO only happens once you leave the city’s boundaries. I don’t think this is what council is looking for, as a $4-5 single fare makes more sense, but they said they wanted the single fare :p

What would be a good time to test out the fare integration in 2018? How about during:

Scheduled TTC subway closures for 2018
  • Jan. 13-14, Line 1: St. Clair W. to Union
  • Feb. 3-4, Line 1: St. Clair W. to Union
  • Feb. 10-11, Line 1: St. Clair to Lawrence
  • Feb. 17-18, Line 1: St. Clair to Lawrence
  • Feb. 24-25, Line 1: St. Clair to Sheppard
  • March 3-4, Line 1: St. Clair to Lawrence
  • March 10-11, Line 1: St. Clair W. to Union
  • March 17-18, Line 3: Kennedy to McCowan
  • March 30-April 1, Line 1: Wilson to Finch W.
  • April 14-15, Line 2: Kipling to Jane
  • April 21-22, Line 1: St. Clair W. to Union
  • April 28-29, Line 2: Woodbine to Kennedy
  • May 6, Line 3: Kennedy to McCowan
  • May 12-13, Line 1: St. Clair to Lawrence
  • May 13, Line 2: St. George to Broadview
  • May 19-20, Line 1: St. Clair to Lawrence
  • May 26-27, Line 1: Lawrence W. to Finch W.
  • May 27, Line 2: St. George to Broadview
  • June 2-3, Line 1: St. Clair to Sheppard
  • June 9-10, Line 1: Lawrence W. to Finch W.
  • June 10, Line 2: St. George to Broadview
  • June 16-17, Line 1: St. Clair to Sheppard
  • June 24, Line 3: Kennedy to McCowan
  • June 30-July 1, Line 1: St. Clair to Lawrence
  • July 7-8, Line 1: St. Clair to Sheppard
  • July 8, Line 2: St. George to Broadview
  • July 14-15, Line 1: St. Clair to Lawrence
  • July 21-22, Line 1: St. Clair to Sheppard
  • July 22, Line 2: St. George to Broadview
  • July 28-29, Line 1: Lawrence W. to Finch W.
  • Aug. 11-12, Line 1: St. Clair to Finch
  • Aug. 18-19, Line 1: St. Clair to Lawrence
  • Aug. 25-26, Line 1: Lawrence W. to Finch W.
  • Sept. 1-2, Line 1: St. Clair to Lawrence
  • Sept. 8-9, Line 1: St. Clair to Lawrence
  • Sept. 9, Line 2: St. George to Broadview
  • Sept. 15-16, Line 1: Bloor to Union
  • Sept. 22-23, Line 1: St. Clair to Sheppard
  • Sept. 23, Line 2: St. George to Broadview
  • Oct. 6-7, Line 1: Bloor to Union
  • Oct. 13-14, Line 1: St. Clair to Sheppard
  • Oct. 20-21, Line 1: St. Clair to Lawrence
  • Oct. 27-28, Line 1: St. Clair to Sheppard
  • Nov. 3-4, Line 1: St. Clair to Lawrence
  • Nov. 10-11, Line 1: Bloor to Union
  • Nov. 17, Line 3: Kennedy to McCowan
  • Nov. 24-25, Line 1: St. Clair to Lawrence
  • Dec. 1, Line 1: Bloor to Union
  • Dec. 8-9, Line 1: St. Clair to Lawrence
  • Dec. 15-16, Line 1: St. Clair to Lawrence

You can't transfer between UPX and other GO lines. It gets charged as two separate trips. And even if you were able to, you wouldn't have anywhere useful to transfer to. Hardly anyone is commuting to the Dundas West or Weston & Lawrence stations.

You can if you're going to Bloor or Weston. I've journeyed to High Park many times via GO and UP from Rouge Hill.

I transfer between UP and GO on fairly regular basis in the summer.....use it to go to TFC matches at the EX......transfer is, both, easy and very cost effective....tap on at Weston.......tap off at EX....same fare as if I tapped off at Union......works in reverse too.

Back