Some quick cell pics of the road widening near keele st
IMAG2908.jpg

IMAG2909.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG2908 resized.jpg
    IMAG2908 resized.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
^Normally I would go out and shame people who say this but with the ineptitude we've seen this city display, you're pretty much right.

The only difference between the two lines will be the vehicles used, which themselves aren't drastically different (asides from being coupled, bi-directional, along with a few other things).

I know people won't like this comment but if this is an upgrade over the bus capacity, comfort and reliability but not much faster than the bus I am going to be happy. This has been one of the fastest projects from start to finish to build once money was committed. A lot of Toronto streets could use such improvements yesterday. (Lawrence) (wilson/yorkmills/ellesmere)

I know people won't like this comment but if this is an upgrade over the bus capacity, comfort and reliability but not much faster than the bus I am going to be happy. This has been one of the fastest projects from start to finish to build once money was committed. A lot of Toronto streets could use such improvements yesterday. (Lawrence) (wilson/yorkmills/ellesmere)

Depends upon what kind of "transit priority" the Toronto Transportation Department will give (out of their generosity) to us. Will it be "real" transit priority, or just extend the green light a few seconds but still give the single occupant in the motor vehicles making a left turn first go?

Maybe, but does the benefits match the cost?

Finch was mainly built to increase capacity, so this isn't entirely a controversial opinion. They probably should get rid of the stops with no bus connections, but other than that, the way they're building it is, for the most part, fine, even if it's being built as a streetcar with fewer stops.

Eglinton is a different story though. That line is mainly underground for a huge section. It demands speed and reliability improvements (grade separation).

The raison d'être for Finch West is kind of why I don't think it's a good idea to extend it to Pearson. The future GO station at Woodbine, yes, but not Pearson. There simply won't be the demand for people to use an on-street LRT that passes through Rexdale, Mount Olive, Jane and Finch etc. when they can get faster transportation out of the airport area on the UPX, Eglinton West, or a future unplanned rail line.

That being said, the extension south to the future GO station should start to be drawn up not long after the line opens, preferably with Woodbine Entertainment funding a portion of the studies.

The raison d'être for Finch West is kind of why I don't think it's a good idea to extend it to Pearson. The future GO station at Woodbine, yes, but not Pearson. There simply won't be the demand for people to use an on-street LRT that passes through Rexdale, Mount Olive, Jane and Finch etc. when they can get faster transportation out of the airport area on the UPX, Eglinton West, or a future unplanned rail line.

That being said, the extension south to the future GO station should start to be drawn up not long after the line opens, preferably with Woodbine Entertainment funding a portion of the studies.
A lot of people who live in said neighbourhoods also work in and around the airport, not only that but if it did get extended to the airport, there will be a lot of connections at the new transit hub.

There are good reasons to extend the Finch line all the way to Pearson.

Yes, for a trip from Yonge & Finch to Pearson, taking the Yonge line to Eglinton and then taking the Crosstown might be slightly faster than taking Finch LRT.

But for the riders from Rexdale and the west of North York, Finch LRT running directly into Pearson will be the fastest and the most convenient option. The Crosstown or the future 407 Transitway will have a higher speed than Finch, but the added time needed to reach those routes will result in the Finch option being faster. It should be noted that the last few km to Pearson will be relatively cheap to build (no utilities to clear).

Lawrence and York Mills could be two good streets for BRT-lite style transit lines. A Lawrence-Dixon line could potentially connect the airport, the Weston GO station, and the two YU subway lines together, IMO.

The only problem with Lawrence is that it's separated from its Eastern section by the Bridle Path. There's no good way around it, putting transit through it will be politically impossible, and a tunnel is expensive.

Lawrence and York Mills could be two good streets for BRT-lite style transit lines. A Lawrence-Dixon line could potentially connect the airport, the Weston GO station, and the two YU subway lines together, IMO.

The only problem with Lawrence is that it's separated from its Eastern section by the Bridle Path. There's no good way around it, putting transit through it will be politically impossible, and a tunnel is expensive.

A BRT along Lawrence Avenue East (with the Bridle Path) is doable. With only two transit exclusive lanes, it would be less expensive to build. On the plus side, the BRT could also be used by Emergency Medical Services (EMS) to get to Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre (located just south of Bayview Avenue & Lawrence Avenue East), which is Canada's largest trauma centre.

31996-sunybrook-womansco.jpg

From link.

Last edited:

Back