News   May 08, 2024
 53     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 388     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 601     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

We would be gaining more bang for the buck with BRT implementation than LRT for the Toronto suburbs at this rate.

At least buses can move around traffic.

Coupling will depend on ridership. They can couple them should ridership increase. They could couple them during the rush hours and decouple in off-peak hours.
Yes but it'll cost money to extend the surface stops to fit 100m trains. The two terminals are supposedly 100m long so they don't have to dig again.

Yes but it'll cost money to extend the surface stops to fit 100m trains. The two terminals are supposedly 100m long so they don't have to dig again.

According to the documentation, the platforms will be a minimum of 100m. "Minimum" is defined as "the least quantity assignable, admissible, or possible". However, single cars could still use it, just make sure you can figure out where the car will actually stop. (Reminds me of the days when they ran the 4 car subway car trains on weekends, instead of the 6 cars.)

See link.

Last edited:
According to the documentation, the platforms will be a minimum of 100m. "Minimum" is defined as "the least quantity assignable, admissible, or possible". However, single cars could still use it, just make sure you can figure out where the car will actually stop. (Reminds me of the days when they ran the 4 car subway car trains on weekends, instead of the 6 cars.)

See link.

Your link states that the surface platforms will be 48m (pg 6), and Finch West will be 98m (pg 8)

We would be gaining more bang for the buck with BRT implementation than LRT for the Toronto suburbs at this rate.

At least buses can move around traffic.

But BRT isn't flashy or sexy enough for politicians to sell to voters.

But BRT isn't flashy or sexy enough for politicians to sell to voters.
It's 2020. Can we forget about busses. I can't believe the same people who think it's subways subways subways think busses are better than LRT. Just because you can't afford a Ferrari doesn't mean you need to drive a fiat. Nothing wrong with something in the middle like a Lexus.

It's 2020. Can we forget about busses. I can't believe the same people who think it's subways subways subways think busses are better than LRT. Just because you can't afford a Ferrari doesn't mean you need to drive a fiat. Nothing wrong with something in the middle like a Lexus.

The SRT shut that argument down decades ago. The problem isn't the public, but it is the politicians whom get voted in.

I have to shake my head when I think about transit planning in Toronto. LRT lines are planned promising signal priority, then when they are built the signal priority is cut and the running speeds once promised are slashed. Or lines with low ridership running through vast rights of way are built using TBMs. Most of this is down to the politics of course. The professionals who work at Metrolinx must have trouble keeping their mouths shut about the idiocy they have to produce.

The problem is overhype with BRT. It should be done but not turn it into a major media campaign.

I have to shake my head when I think about transit planning in Toronto. LRT lines are planned promising signal priority, then when they are built the signal priority is cut and the running speeds once promised are slashed. Or lines with low ridership running through vast rights of way are built using TBMs. Most of this is down to the politics of course. The professionals who work at Metrolinx must have trouble keeping their mouths shut about the idiocy they have to produce.
They knew the idea won't fly but they continue to fool the public and flatter everyone's ears with the wrong info.

In the inconsistent responses from Metrolinx, the lastest are as follow:

May 15, 2020 - 12:34 "Traffic Signal Priority and optimized traffic signal timings have been reviewed and approved by the City already in the effort to maximize the FWLRT operations along the entire corridor involving all 24 intersections."

May 15, 2020 - 12:47 "The Finch West LRT will not have signal priority."

Hoping the first response is true. I'll reword the question in the engage page and see if they say yes to signal priority.

In the inconsistent responses from Metrolinx, the lastest are as follow:

May 15, 2020 - 12:34 "Traffic Signal Priority and optimized traffic signal timings have been reviewed and approved by the City already in the effort to maximize the FWLRT operations along the entire corridor involving all 24 intersections."

May 15, 2020 - 12:47 "The Finch West LRT will not have signal priority."

Metrolinx is a Crown Agency of the Ontario government. Which means that Premier Doug Ford has influence on decisions, including his dislike of visible public transit that might interfere with his use of his SUV. We'll have to see who wins the next Ontario election to be held on or before June 2, 2022, to see if they will change the signal priority or not.

At least signal priority is something that can be modified pretty easily, given the right political pressure and climate. It's not like they're short-changing the project by building a portion in mixed traffic or something, which would be much harder to fix down the road, as it would require reconstruction of the entire roadway.

But I do agree that it's pretty foolish to spend so much money on good transit infrastructure, only to hamstring its effectiveness with the lack of something like signal priority.

Back