News   Jun 04, 2020
 439     0 
News   Jun 04, 2020
 470     0 

Metrolinx: Finch West LRT

Kitsune

Member Bio
Reaction score
If the contracts are to still to be signed but before the election, they could always put a Poison Pill into the contract making cancellation almost impossible.

nfitz

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Isn't it possible that people will go the other way and possibly provide some relief for the line?
The numbers were published and discussed in this thread too, if I recall.

No ... no it isn't. Of course there's be some westbound AM peak traffic - but the extra number going east is greater. And not a surprise if you look at a map.

I still don't know what Metrolinx is thinking ... they were all concerned that Bombardier couldn't build a handful more LRT cars for 2023, and panicked ... but are okay than they can build 70+ cars for Eglinton for the September 2021 opening.

INTz

Member Bio
Reaction score
I see some silver lining to that article - that the contract is expected to be signed in the coming weeks, and as a result, further (road-blocks) train-blocks will be introduced for anyone trying to cancel it

Mosaic has yet to sign a contract to build the project, but Aikins said it’s expected to do so “in the coming weeks.” The province would be on the hook for breaking that contract as well.

To cancel or significantly reduce contracts with Alstom and Mosaic could cost hundreds of millions of dollars, on top of the $228 million already sunk into the project.

innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
If the contracts are to still to be signed but before the election, they could always put a Poison Pill into the contract making cancellation almost impossible.
my understanding is that almost all of these AFP contracts have huge financial penalties to cancel once they are signed. Almost every one has a "poison pill" included in it. The private partners front a lot of risk on these projects with financing and construction, they won't do it if the government is just going to pull the rug out from underneath them.

TheTigerMaster

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score

sixrings

Member Bio
Reaction score
As much I want to support the Liberals and their transit.... these delays basically keep throwing my arguments out the window... Im so happy I bought beside a Subway line so that none of this really effects me...

hw621

Member Bio
Reaction score
As much I want to support the Liberals and their transit.... these delays basically keep throwing my arguments out the window... Im so happy I bought beside a Subway line so that none of this really effects me...
what about the overcrowding and constant closures, delays?

Streety McCarface

Member Bio
Reaction score
what about the overcrowding and constant closures, delays?
Do you really think any of the LRT lines that are being built will be immune to any of that? Look at Eglinton. The platforms are low floor, and there are no third rails, basically asking for people to walk tunnels. That is sure to cause future delays.

Amare

Member Bio
Reaction score
Do you really think any of the LRT lines that are being built will be immune to any of that? Look at Eglinton. The platforms are low floor, and there are no third rails, basically asking for people to walk tunnels. That is sure to cause future delays.
I've suggested retractable spikes at track level right before the underground station platforms, but Metolinx probably wouldnt buy that idea;)

But make no mistake about it Eglinton will have a significant amount of delays attributed to "trespassers at track level". As for Finch, if DoFo is elected I can almost guarantee the LRT will be scrapped regardless of whatever financial penalties are written into the contracts. He'll come up with same kind of BS excuse and reasoning as to why it will be cancelled, and the sad part is that people will buy it.

sixrings

Member Bio
Reaction score
they will be promised if they are patient there will be subways... surely everyone on this thread will be dead before finch would ever see subway construction... but hey think about your great great grandchildren.

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Maybe the NDP "government" would supply the needed funds for platform screen doors. Not just for Eglinton, but for all underground electric railways in Toronto.

nfitz

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I see Metrolinx has been taking some pointers from Bombardier. Clearly on-time project delivery isn't the strong suit of either organization. This is now the third missed deadline from Metrolinx, culminating in five years of delays.
Five years?

The Ontario government promised opening of this project, all the way to Yonge Street in 2013, with construction starting in 2010, when they first announced it in April 2009.

That's ten years of delay. https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2009/04/02/gta_transit_gets_9b_jumpstart.html

Other highlights were the Eglinton line ALL THE WAY TO THE AIRPORT complete by 2016 and the SRT rebuild and extension to at least Sheppard by 2015.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2009/04/02/gta_transit_gets_9b_jumpstart.html

TheTigerMaster

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Five years?

The Ontario government promised opening of this project, all the way to Yonge Street in 2013, with construction starting in 2010, when they first announced it in April 2009.

That's ten years of delay. https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2009/04/02/gta_transit_gets_9b_jumpstart.html

Other highlights were the Eglinton line ALL THE WAY TO THE AIRPORT complete by 2016 and the SRT rebuild and extension to at least Sheppard by 2015.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2009/04/02/gta_transit_gets_9b_jumpstart.html
Well, yes, I was only counting the delays after the Council reaffirmed their support for the Finch West LRT, after Rob Ford's failed attempt to circumvent Council to have it canceled.

The mismanagement of this project has been legendary. It's one thing for there to be delays during construction due to factors largely out of the government's hand (such as a contractor dropping the ball, or a major accident). It's a completely different thing to be totally unable to even begin major construction work for several years, as we've seen with Metrolinx's handling of Finch West LRT.