News   May 03, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 679     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 308     0 

Metrolinx: Bombardier Flexity Freedom & Alstom Citadis Spirit LRVs

If you've seen the mockup recently, it is wearing the latest iteration of the livery. In my opinion, what they had originally was better.

Oh no - what have they changed? When you say "lately", how recently do you mean?

It showed up in Hamilton a few months ago and had some extra stripes and so on and if that's what you're referring to - yeah, it's awful compared to the original, simple scheme.

Edit: Yeah, here are some really great shots by mdrejhon showing the new scheme: http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...of-hamilton-planned.6462/page-38#post-1046915

It's the silver coming down along the windscreen, how it interfaces/terminates inside the green transverse stripe that my OCD just goes insane over. I can't stand it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh no - what have they changed? When you say "lately", how recently do you mean?

It showed up in Hamilton a few months ago and had some extra stripes and so on and if that's what you're referring to - yeah, it's awful compared to the original, simple scheme.

Edit: Yeah, here are some really great shots by mdrejhon showing the new scheme: http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...of-hamilton-planned.6462/page-38#post-1046915

It's the silver coming down along the windscreen, how it interfaces/terminates inside the green transverse stripe that my OCD just goes insane over. I can't stand it.
Pretty much my thoughts; plus the widening of the green stripe. It all just kind of looks clumsy.
I heard the seats were redone, but I haven't seen it in person to confirm.

Bombardier Wins Order to Supply Light Rail Transit System for City of Edmonton’s Valley Line in Canada

cq5dam.web.750.750.jpeg

The first 7-car Freedom sets! Nice!

The first 7-car Freedom sets! Nice!

I wonder if bbr revealed to them and if Edmonton knows of their latest blunder with TTC.... Kind of surprised considering that Edmonton and Calgary have a good long relationship with seimens

The new line that Edmonton is planning to build is going to be in median for the most part, like a Transit City Line. They want a low-floor design to be better integrated with the street, rather than a high floor line.

Given that TTC keeps gushing at how high-quality their new Flexities are, I'd think Edmonton would be giving that higher weight than the short-term issue of delivery - which may well be completely resolved by 2020 when they'll need these cars.

Has there been any indication on how many they need? I'd think we are talking only dozens, rather than the hundreds already on order.

I wonder if bbr revealed to them and if Edmonton knows of their latest blunder with TTC.... Kind of surprised considering that Edmonton and Calgary have a good long relationship with seimens

I'm sure they do, but one blunder isn't really enough to make you completely change your mind about an order like this. The problem will likely be solved long before Edmonton receives their first vehicle.

It very possible that these cars will be built in Europe and ship fully completed since there is no Buy Canada Policy for them. Time will tell where they are built.

Unlikely; all the fixturing and tooling to build Freedom is in NA. If they were coming from Europe they'd have bought FLEXITY 2.

Unlikely; all the fixturing and tooling to build Freedom is in NA. If they were coming from Europe they'd have bought FLEXITY 2.

You make it sound like they're two different products. They're not.

That said, you are most certainly right that the tooling and supply chain will already exist in North America. While it wouldn't stop them from building them in Europe, it is, if nothing else, a check mark in the box for constructing them at Thunder Bay.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

You make it sound like they're two different products. They're not.

That said, you are most certainly right that the tooling and supply chain will already exist in North America. While it wouldn't stop them from building them in Europe, it is, if nothing else, a check mark in the box for constructing them at Thunder Bay.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I defer to your knowledge on this because you know better than anyone in this forum, but my understanding was BBD Europe basically went "here" and sent NA all the files on F2. Them Flexity Freedom was developed and modified from that.

Saw 7 sections in 2012 in Berlin with other systems having the same numbers. Budapest has 9 sections these days.

Not that hard to increase length and sections other than power to move them. You only need to add another power unit.

You need to increase the length of platforms when going longer that cost time and money.

Back