News   Jul 29, 2024
 793     1 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 541     0 

Megabus to come to Toronto

wyliepoon

Member Bio
Reaction score
Got a massive email from Miketoronto about this...

Link to press release

Megabus.com Expands to East Coast (Mar 28, 2008)

NEW YORK (March 25, 2008) - Megabus.com, successfully serving more than 900,000 passengers since April 2006, today announced the expansion of its low-cost, intercity express bus service to the East Coast. Beginning May 30, East Coast residents can travel for as low as $1 from New York to Boston, Washington, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Buffalo, N.Y. and Atlantic City, N.J. in the United States; and Toronto.

Passengers can begin booking today at www.megabus.com for all cities except Baltimore (coming soon, pending stop location). Megabus.com will offer up to 55 daily departures from New York in new, greener, state-of-the-art motor coaches. See Web site for details. Customers are encouraged to book early to secure fares as low as $1 and will pay competitive fares the closer they book to the day of departure.

Megabus.com is offering all fares booked to depart during the first service week of May 30-June 5 FREE, as an introductory rate (50 cent booking fee applies).

"The overwhelming popularity of megabus.com's innovative, express bus service prompted us to expand to the East Coast," said Dale Moser, president and chief operating officer of megabus.com. "A growing number of our customers are leaving their car at home to go with megabus.com and have been delighted with their travel experiences. As the leader in providing budget intercity express coach services, megabus.com looks forward to serving East Coast travelers with the same passion and exceptional value-for-money our customers have come to expect."

Megabus.com, a sister company of Gray Line New York Sightseeing and subsidiary of Coach USA, offers its customers a unique way to travel. Megabus.com provides convenient online booking, guaranteed seating, comfortable and safe coaches and luggage storage for a relaxed travel experience. Megabus.com will also offer WiFi, free video and the ability to access the Web site on customers' mobile devices (starting May 30) where they can view updates regarding travel reservations and schedules and purchase new tickets.

"The public is responding with considerable enthusiasm to the express services provided by megabus.com and other low-cost providers," said Joseph Schwieterman, director of the Chaddick Institute for Metropolitan Development and professor of public service management at DePaul University. "After years of decline, the industry is once again poised for growth.".

Booking for megabus.com travel is done via the Internet at www.megabus.com. The Web site provides information on routes and arrival and departure times. Passengers can quickly book their travel and purchase tickets from the comfort of their home, office or wireless handheld device. The Web site is in English and Spanish.

"as low as" $1 doesn't mean $1, does it? So how much is the average ticket?

It's a first come first serve on each trip for cheap tickets.
For example, the first xxx tickets are $1.. the next xxx tickets are $15... then $50... and so on.

I've yet to find a $1 trip. I did find tickets in August for $15 each way... and am very tempted.

It's probably $1 plus taxes and fees and you have to book 6 months in advance and you get dumped off in the Bronx at 3am.

I was able to find departures in June and July for $15 one way. Still damned cheap - there's two trips a day - an all-day trip, or an all-night trip.

I don't think I could sleep on a bus without drugging myself - I've taken red-eyes from LA and Las Vegas and to Heathrow, and couldn't stand the feeling the next day. I slept well one one night on the VIA train from Toronto to Winnipeg, but those coach seats are set-up for that, with seats far enough apart to put the seat back far, and bring out a legrest.

It's still tempting. $30 versus $270 for Porter.

The drop-off point is Penn Station.

I wish megabus would have a Toronto-Detroit route. It'd connect with the midwest system centred on Chicago.

$30 - 20 hours on a bus
$240 - 2 hours on a plane + EWR-NYC transfer + check-in
$210 = ~14 hours of your life?

I plugged in June dates and it came to night 25+ day 45=$70 - I guess night is cheaper?

It's almost a pity Porter are doing better. Taking off at YTZ to YOW with about six other passengers on board is probably as close as I'll ever feel to what it's like to be catapulted off an aircraft carrier :D

It's probably $1 plus taxes and fees and you have to book 6 months in advance and you get dumped off in the Bronx at 3am.
Not at all, actually. When I went on vacation in England, we took a Megabus trip to Cardiff, Wales for £1 each way. The driver was professional. The speed was relatively good. We were dropped off at a pre-designated location in front of Cardiff Castle. It was, in a word, perfect. I'm really happy that they have expanded this service to Canada (it has been in the US for a while now). The next step is for them to make it to more than 2 cities.

Absolutely.

The best part? The bus stop for Buffalo is at the Buffalo Airport. Leave 9AM, arrive 11:15AM - and you're on your way. Or take the 9PM bus, arrive around 11PM, get a hotel there (rates are good by BUF) and get an early morning flight to whereever. The bus back is at 4:45PM or 4:45AM - only the 4:45PM flight is that useful.

They sure know their market. BUF is a bargain for flights anywhere in the US - I paid a whole lot less flying to LAX from there - about half the price, even with Coach Canada/NFTA fare and one night at the hotel included.

Wouldn't it be neat if they started actually offering some competition with Greyhound? Toronto to Ottawa service for $1 would be just super.

I lived in Montreal this past summer, and those $10 fare that Coach Canada advertised were total bull. I didn't see a single one all summer. There were probably three tickets available at that fare on one day in May and that's it.

Megabus has FREE seats again to NY.

Megabus has FREE seats again to NY. (delete this thread after a few days, I just didn't know where else to post it)

Back