News   Jun 21, 2024
 4.1K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.6K     3 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.7K     1 

Mayor Olivia Chow's Toronto

Matt Elliot - who writes the excellent City Hall Watcher newsletter (I pay for a subscription and would recommend it) - has an interview with Olivia Chow.

Interestingly, congestion was brought up there, and the possibility of asking for payments for construction-related street closures.

I was a little sad that Olivia Chow didn’t mention transit at all in her interview. It seems that she has (correctly) determined that housing is where she will be judged - but it does give me the sense that projects like the Waterfront LRT will remain on the back burner.

Reactions: DSC
I was a little sad that Olivia Chow didn’t mention transit at all in her interview. It seems that she has (correctly) determined that housing is where she will be judged - but it does give me the sense that projects like the Waterfront LRT will remain on the back burner.
Waterfront East LRT is the only way to start to open up the Portlands for new Housing, so I expect it will remain at least on the "middle-burner"...

Waterfront East LRT is the only way to start to open up the Portlands for new Housing, so I expect it will remain at least on the "middle-burner"...

I think the Portlands is arguably a non-factor for tackling immediate housing needs, and any affordable housing inventory build-out there should be seen more as an inclusionary planning exercise over the medium-to-long term.

As was expected. No numbers given, but I truly appreciate the messaging and pragmatism coming from Shelley Carroll. Specifically:

* Acknowledging that some expenses are no longer ‘pandemic-related’, but the new normal
* Acknowledging that the practice of ‘balancing’ contingent of one-time funding from upper levels is misleading
* Stating clearly that the pressure for a new deal has to come from the electorate (true, but good luck with that - people barely understand jurisdictions wrt services, and they definitely don’t for funding)

As was expected. No numbers given, but I truly appreciate the messaging and pragmatism coming from Shelley Carroll. Specifically:

* Acknowledging that some expenses are no longer ‘pandemic-related’, but the new normal
* Acknowledging that the practice of ‘balancing’ contingent of one-time funding from upper levels is misleading
* Stating clearly that the pressure for a new deal has to come from the electorate (true, but good luck with that - people barely understand jurisdictions wrt services, and they definitely don’t for funding)
Agree 100%. The CBC piece quotes our favourite skin-flint:

"Coun. Stephen Holyday said the city needs to take a deep look at the services it provides, and that it might be time to cut back."

This is a bit rich from someone who fought for years to keep leaf collection going in his Ward. No doubt there ARE things the City could stop doing but it is long past time where Councillors should be able to get away with these general statements. If someone wants to stop doing something let's hear what they suggest. Then we can have a proper discussion!

"Coun. Stephen Holyday said the city needs to take a deep look at the services it provides, and that it might be time to cut back."

This is a bit rich from someone who fought for years to keep leaf collection going in his Ward. No doubt there ARE things the City could stop doing but it is long past time where Councillors should be able to get away with these general statements. If someone wants to stop doing something let's hear what they suggest. Then we can have a proper discussion!

Holyday is an opportunist.

He says whatever suits the moment and agrees with whatever saves his political skin.

Agreed. I’ve excoriated Holyday’s hypocrisy in the forums before.

I am very open the the city stopping certain services, and I agree with you that there needs to be concrete suggestions and discussion of those options (as opposed to generalities).

Of course, the problem with specifics is that when push comes to shove people realize that they love those services that are being proposed for cuts.

I am very open the the city stopping certain services, and I agree with you that there needs to be concrete suggestions and discussion of those options (as opposed to generalities).

Of course, the problem with specifics is that when push comes to shove people realize that they love those services that are being proposed for cuts.

In the words of PT Barnum.. you can't please all of the people all of the time but you can please some people some of the time.

Every special interest group wants their services protected but at some point cuts need to be made

Totally agree and I suspect that in some cases a service may be 'required' but MAYBE it should not be paid for or subsidised by property taxes. I am more than ready to pay higher property tax but an example of something which should be, in my opinion, be looked at is Long Term Care homes. Of course, there should be LTC homes and some (maybe all) should be provided by subsidised by 'the government' but the City spent $93 million subsidising them them last year. Similarly, we paid ca $90 million on child care subsidies. Are these really things that City property owners should pay through a very 'unfair' property tax system?

Last edited:
In the words of PT Barnum.. you can't please all of the people all of the time but you can please some people some of the time.

Every special interest group wants their services protected but at some point cuts need to be made
How about we return to the marginal tax rates of the middle of the 20th century, when the feds and province could sustainably pay a fair share for municipalities and the growth of the middle class just exploded?

Oh yeah, because rich folks won't get as rich as fast.

Back