News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 340     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Reactions: DSC
Adam Chaleff has filed an integrity complaint against John Tory.

The Star has the story here:

From that article, this is the pith and substance of the allegation:

"In the run up to the June 15 vote, Toronto Blue Jays president and CEO Mark Shapiro had publicly asked the city to stop regular closures of Lake Shore Boulevard West as part of the ActiveTO program, arguing that shutting the street to car traffic made it harder for fans to get to ball games. Tory publicly defended Shapiro, and later voted with other councillors to approve a plan that didn’t include frequent Lake Shore closures.

Chaleff’s application to integrity commissioner Jonathan Batty, a copy of which was obtained by the Star, alleges Tory had an indirect financial interest in the issue because he sits on the advisory committee of the family trust that controls Rogers. Rogers owns the Jays.

The complaint claims the mayor’s actions “(give) rise to concerns” that he violated the Municipal Conflict of Interest Act. The provincial legislation says council members have to declare any financial interest they have in an item that’s before council, and not take part in any discussion or vote on the matter. The Act specifies a council member is considered to have indirect interest in an issue if they sit on a body that has a financial interest in it."

Feels a bit like a nothingburger. I doubt opening or closing Lakeshore has a material financial impact for Rogers.

I see the City are right on top of things, as usual!!

City of Toronto Media Relations has issued the following:

==========================================
News Release

July 27, 2022

City of Toronto enhancing safety and coordination in construction hot spots

Today, Mayor John Tory announced the launch of five new Construction Hubs, a MoveTO (congestion management plan) and Vision Zero measure to improve road safety for everyone, reduce the impacts of construction and keep traffic moving in areas of the city with a high volume of construction activity.

The new Hubs are located in the downtown core, Liberty Village, East Harbour, Lake Shore West and Lake Shore East areas. Similar to the Yonge-Eglinton Construction Hub, which was launched in 2019, each of these areas have a high density of private developments being built, a significant number of capital construction projects planned and major transit expansion projects being implemented.

On-the-ground Construction Hub coordinators will conduct logistical planning of the right-of-way, review construction management plans, connect travellers with real-time information, collaborate with enforcement officers and communicate impacts and changes to businesses and communities in the neighbourhood.

As the City of Toronto continues to manage rapid growth and the maintenance of critical infrastructure, ensuring accessibility and safety around construction zones and reducing traffic congestion is of the utmost importance. By proactively working with constructors and neighbourhood stakeholders, Construction Hub coordinators will minimize many construction-related disturbances.

People driving within each of the Construction Hubs are advised to plan their travel in advance, consider alternate routes, be aware that street parking may be impacted, obey signage around work zones and be patient while travelling in and around work zones. Residents and visitors are also encouraged to take public transit and cycle and walk, where possible, as a greener, faster and more affordable way of getting around the city.

The City’s web-based map can be used to help plan travel and avoid road closures: www.toronto.ca/roadrestrictions.

Information about the City’s planned capital construction work is available at www.toronto.ca/inview.

I see the City are right on top of things, as usual!!

City of Toronto Media Relations has issued the following:

==========================================
News Release

July 27, 2022

City of Toronto enhancing safety and coordination in construction hot spots

Today, Mayor John Tory announced the launch of five new Construction Hubs, a MoveTO (congestion management plan) and Vision Zero measure to improve road safety for everyone, reduce the impacts of construction and keep traffic moving in areas of the city with a high volume of construction activity.

The new Hubs are located in the downtown core, Liberty Village, East Harbour, Lake Shore West and Lake Shore East areas. Similar to the Yonge-Eglinton Construction Hub, which was launched in 2019, each of these areas have a high density of private developments being built, a significant number of capital construction projects planned and major transit expansion projects being implemented.

On-the-ground Construction Hub coordinators will conduct logistical planning of the right-of-way, review construction management plans, connect travellers with real-time information, collaborate with enforcement officers and communicate impacts and changes to businesses and communities in the neighbourhood.

As the City of Toronto continues to manage rapid growth and the maintenance of critical infrastructure, ensuring accessibility and safety around construction zones and reducing traffic congestion is of the utmost importance. By proactively working with constructors and neighbourhood stakeholders, Construction Hub coordinators will minimize many construction-related disturbances.

People driving within each of the Construction Hubs are advised to plan their travel in advance, consider alternate routes, be aware that street parking may be impacted, obey signage around work zones and be patient while travelling in and around work zones. Residents and visitors are also encouraged to take public transit and cycle and walk, where possible, as a greener, faster and more affordable way of getting around the city.

The City’s web-based map can be used to help plan travel and avoid road closures: www.toronto.ca/roadrestrictions.

Information about the City’s planned capital construction work is available at www.toronto.ca/inview.
What a shock most of the focus is on driving, with barely any mention of how they will stop construction vehicles running over pedestrians.

CBC Toronto with a story out tonight that City Shelters are turning away an average of 40 people per night saying they have no room.

Lets be 100% clear here, this is completely and utterly unacceptable!

By definition this is not an 'elective' service; it is not a 'nice to have'; for many, especially on nights with inclement weather, its potentially a matter of life and death.

I'm not ok with park encampments; but the City certainly can't complain if people go looking for help and are told 'too bad'.

The answer to which is not being ok w/people camping in parks...........its having an adequate supply of housing.

Frankly, of course, permanent housing.

The problems with the City's Shelters and why some avoid them even if there is space are legendary, limited privacy (4 or more together in one room, sometimes dozens...........no privacy, problems with safety and security, people's possessions being stolen, intoxication and problematic mental illness (requires appropriate, dedicated housing) ; and hygiene issues, among other things.

That said, the very least we can do is offer that, and not tell people 'we have nothing for you'...........

Put bloody cots in the lobby of City Hall...........

I had a date with a tourist from São Paulo last night and while he liked Toronto, he wouldn't stop going no about how we have 10x the homeless his city has and that our subways feel way more dangerous with "all the crazies." I can't validate this statistically or anecdotally (as I've never been to SP), but I thought it was an interesting observation.

I had a date with a tourist from São Paulo last night and while he liked Toronto, he wouldn't stop going no about how we have 10x the homeless his city has and that our subways feel way more dangerous with "all the crazies." I can't validate this statistically or anecdotally (as I've never been to SP), but I thought it was an interesting observation.
Sao Paulo has 3x the homeless rate IIRC.

I have been to Brazil one time for about a week, and to make an observation based on similar time circumstances to this tourist, what was notable was the number of people in very low quality housing, equivalent to rooming houses in Toronto's worst areas. It poses a dilemma: do you house people like that because having permanent, private housing, no matter how bad, still provides at least some emotional and physical security to people vs. living on the streets, or do you aim much higher in standards but produce much less actual housing. It's a classic debate.

Last edited:
Sao Paulo has 3x the homeless rate IIRC.

Sao Paulo has a homicide rate of 13.2 per 100,000

Toronto has a homicide rate of ~2.3 per 100,000

So SP has 5.5x more homicides each year per 100,000 people.

I do not consider SP a city to emulate in that regard.

Looks like there's a blackout covering a large swath of downtown on the east side of Yonge Street.

1660238038769.png

hearing that in some cases this spills over all the way to University Ave

Back