News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 347     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

You completely missed the point of the entirety of that intersection being built solely for the convenience of cars.

Yes, because it had nothing to do with changing the display of the pedestrian signals.
You want more significant changes to that intersection, go for it.

Yes, because it had nothing to do with changing the display of the pedestrian signals.
You want more significant changes to that intersection, go for it.
Actually, it had to do with Jaywalking (and why one might do it), which you also made note of.

Oh Glory! So happy to see the traffic on Jarvis, feels like some kind of normal! Yes, it is a pain, the dust, the grit, the frustration but it feels like years since I could choke on petrol fumes! What world is this?!

I notice more and more patios that are roofed over and have coverings (solid or transparent) on at least 3 sides. This is hardly 'outdoors' and probably NOT going to 'ventilate' covid particles away. The City should 'do something"!

From the provincial regulations https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/200082#BK14
12. If an outdoor dining area at the establishment is covered by a roof, canopy, tent, awning or other element, at least two full sides of the entire outdoor dining area must be open to the outdoors and must not be substantially blocked by any walls or other impermeable physical barriers.

13. If an outdoor dining area at the establishment is equipped with a retractable roof and the roof is retracted, at least one full side of the outdoor dining area must be open to the outdoors and must not be substantially blocked by any walls or other impermeable physical barriers.

My family plot finally ready at Prospect. I dare say alot of people are learning about pursuing final arrangements. Still can't believe it. Thought it would be the cancer not some stupid virus. That and the hospital holding onto him for 3 1/2 weeks because no donations were being accepted, the whole episode has been a surreal nightmare. The city is starting to feel normal again lots of traffic people out and about, let's see how long that lasts.

I notice more and more patios that are roofed over and have coverings (solid or transparent) on at least 3 sides. This is hardly 'outdoors' and probably NOT going to 'ventilate' covid particles away. The City should 'do something"!

Don't you worry, mate.....it's all shut down again! Just for you! :D

People are the exception? Are you aware of the history of cars on the street? "Jaywalking" was an idea deliberately created by car manufacturers to criminalize pedestrians on the (then) mixed-use streets.

As for pedestrian walk signals; I invite you to visit the intersection of Charles and Jarvis/Ted Rogers Way and observe the west side crosswalk.

To cross Charles, there's 7 seconds of "clear" walk phase, and 15 seconds of countdown. We've been told pedestrians aren't supposed to start walking during countdown. So you have 7 whole second window to cross the street. Except that the white walk light immediately follows an advanced left onto Charles, which I guarantee you is almost always run by someone who sees a yellowing advance light as "hit the gas". There's 1 minute and 35 seconds between those 7 seconds of clean walking time. I've almost been hit several times there (like, slam-on-the-brakes-screetching-leave-black-streaks level hit).

Because it's probably the least pedestrian friendly intersection in the city, you also can't cross directly from one side of Ted Rogers Way to the other. Workers from Rogers who want to get a coffee, a slice of pizza or hit up Rabba across the street often jaywalk, rather than make the (also dangerous) four separate crosswalk-traversal required to make a "legal" crossing from one side of the street to the other. There's no viable reason there couldn't be a crosswalk on the south side of that intersection, except that it might slow down cars on the "Rosedale Expressway" (Jarvis/Mt. Pleasant).

There are tens of thousands of people living within a handful of blocks; many who work literally across the street from where they live. Thousands just in the condos and apartments at the north end of Jarvis (with more being built every year). The priority here though, is being given to people who drive into the core from Rosedale, Leaside or further away.

Cars have had too much of the focus in our planning. That needs to stop.
What you say is quite true; nevertheless, placing all the blame for pedestrian mishaps on drivers is just as silly as placing it all on pedestrians. As a culture (at least in the English-Speaking world) we seem given to throwing ourselves into orthodoxies. Before, the car was king; now pedestrians are saints and martyrs. The foolishness of drivers is well documented in the press these days. But (before COVID) every morning as I drove into the school parking lot where I work I'd have to swing my head left and right hawkishly looking for a student who was about to step directly in front of my car as he was checking his Instagram. Just like in the Paris video above, no looking left or right; just forward and head down. "Someone else will look out for my safety!"

Reactions: DSC
Councillor Matlow has sent an open letter to the Infrastructure and Environment Ctte asking for to permit drinking in select Toronto Parks this year.

From the post above:

He formally recommends that the city introduce a pilot program to sanction the consumption of alcoholic beverages up to 15% ABV in public parks and beaches with public washrooms between 11 a.m. and 9 p.m. from May 21 until Oct. 31 of this year, to start.

Councillor Matlow has sent an open letter to the Infrastructure and Environment Ctte asking for to permit drinking in select Toronto Parks this year.

From the post above:

He formally recommends that the city introduce a pilot program to sanction the consumption of alcoholic beverages up to 15% ABV in public parks and beaches with public washrooms between 11 a.m. and 9 p.m. from May 21 until Oct. 31 of this year, to start.

15% ABC? Hmmm. Guess I'll mix my own drinks before going to the park. Just graduated to...

a Dirty Shirley Cocktail

• Ingredients​

• 2.5 oz top shelf vodka
    • 1 oz fresh lime juice
    • 0.25 oz grenadine syrup
    • 3 oz ginger beer
    • Garnish with lime, maraschino cherries or brandy-soaked cherries

Instructions​

• Place all ingredients (except ginger beer) into a cocktail shaker and add large ice. Shake cocktail shaker vigorously. Add ginger beer and roll the cocktail shaker once. Taste for balance, adding more lime if you prefer.
    • Strain over fresh ice. Garnish with, maraschino cherries or brandy-soaked cherries for a more adult taste.

Back