News   Mar 28, 2024
 198     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.3K     2 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Geez.

At a time of social and political unrest, where the last decade has been marked by vehicle ramming attacks, lets make Eglinton a bowling alley for the next Charlottesville.

Some concrete barriers would be nice.

I was thinking not so much of intended attacks vs just car accidents. What about letting the stores use the sidewalk as the patio, and have pedestrians walk on the street? At least pedestrians would be more mobile then patrons sitting down at tables.

Driving through Queen St. E. I was a bit aghast at how close those folks were sitting there and eating. What is the pollution effect as well?

What does it has to do with the current bunch refusing to wear masks? They are refusing because WHO told them not to now? You are making excuses for the indefensible - their bad behaviour isn't the result of bad information - but from a misguided sense of entitlement, self-importance and lack of responsibility for others. Not because the WHO "confused them".

AoD
That is the issue if rules were made to have masks in April I think we have less issue.

I was thinking not so much of intended attacks vs just car accidents. What about letting the stores use the sidewalk as the patio, and have pedestrians walk on the street? At least pedestrians would be more mobile then patrons sitting down at tables.

Driving through Queen St. E. I was a bit aghast at how close those folks were sitting there and eating. What is the pollution effect as well?
Forcing pedestrians to move makes for a world of accessibility issues. Not just for those in wheelchairs and other mobility issues, but those who live in second-floor apartments, etc.

The WHO at the same time said masks were not needed which went against local experts.

This caused mass confusion if you remember and over time our leaders have seemed to stop listening fully to the WHo and make their own rules based on Canadian experts.

Which is for the best considering how dumb the WHO has been.
Stop trying to blame this on the WHO. As though the WHO themselves are any lesser an expert on this than *ours*. How many pandemics has the WHO dealt with vs. the Canadian Government? Yeah, I'll wait.

Our own experts (Teresa Tam), and health ministers (Christine Elliot) also did not recommend wearing masks until late May. We don't even have a law at the federal or provincial level requiring it.

Or set up tables in the (former) traffic lane.

From link. But then the prohibitionists would get upset.

Who authority dhould be beyond approach or why should they exisit lol
For global sharing of information? For a global response? That's a really dumb question, if you believe they exist solely to respond to this particular novel virus.

Should our own "experts" authority be beyond reproach as well? If so, they need a good turfing for a lot of this as well.

You also miss the part about this being a "novel" virus. From a medical standpoint, this means new and unknown to the human body. We have no immunity from this virus. It seemingly affects some with zero symptoms, but keeps others in a debilitating state for months. We believed it was respiratory, but now know it's circulatory. We told people they could get it from touching infected surfaces, but now we know that there are so few cases of this that the risk is negligible. And let's not get into the Hydroxychloroquine goose chase. Geez, we'd have as much luck, information and understanding a sudden alien invasion. But, if someone needs blame, why not blame the people who've actually fought and beaten numerous epidemics.

This. We are learning more about this virus every day. So yes, information changes, but that’s what happens when you do research and find out things. And yes, sometimes the scientists get it wrong in the early stages and then they learn more and make adjustments, including issuing new advice/directives. Sure, it would be nice if they got it right the first time, but that’s not how science works. They do research and experiments for a reason.

This. We are learning more about this virus every day. So yes, information changes, but that’s what happens when you do research and find out things. And yes, sometimes the scientists get it wrong in the early stages and then they learn more and make adjustments, including issuing new advice/directives. Sure, it would be nice if they got it right the first time, but that’s not how science works. They do research and experiments for a reason.

Yes, with the caveat that our 'experts' really should have known better about several things; simply put, if Bonnie Henry in BC got it right; no excuse that those in Ontario or Quebec did not.

'

The way science also works is you dont make sweeping generalizations such as no need to wear masks when you dont know the answers.

Yes the people not wearing Masks now are idiots because the science and experts and common sense shows wearing masks help.

HOWEVER, we debated from late march to pretty much early June about should we wear masks or not...

This is was a grave error made.

Last edited:
The way science also works is you dont make sweeping generalizations such as no need to wear masks when you dont know the answers.

What does it have to do with your assertion that the current refusal of some to wear mask has to do with the WHO? That's the topic at hand, not whether WHO is at fault or not. This is a distraction.

AoD

What does it have to do with your assertion that the current refusal of some to wear mask has to do with the WHO? That's the topic at hand, not whether WHO is at fault or not. This is a distraction.

AoD
If govt made a rule from start then this would not be an issue I think today.

People are dumb, but our experts and government really mishandled the mask issue badly, that is my point :)

If govt made a rule from start then this would not be an issue I think today.

Haha, you think people who refuse to wear a mask will listen and act accordingly just because the government made a rule back in March? Some people couldn't even socially distance themselves and maintain their bubble - then, and even now, 3 months after. That has nothing to do with the quality of the science - that's some people deciding that rules doesn't apply to them.

AoD

Back