News   Mar 28, 2024
 158     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 196     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 253     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Last edited:
^the wording is also probably due to liability/sensibility issues. Kind of like some reporters now say "people experiencing homelessness/mental health issues" instead of "homeless/mentally ill people." (note: not equating the two groups lol)

* cross-post from Covid thread*

Tis my understanding that Mayor Tory will announce some variation of a mandatory mask policy next hour.

#CafeTo has arrived at Midtown Yonge (just south of Eglinton).

No new bike lanes here, at least not on purpose, but parking is gone in favour of patio space; and there seems to be about a bit over 1M left over before the car lane.......hmmmm

1593952287140.png

Image from Kevin Rupasinghe 's Twitter

Be Honest

I blame the WHO for its moronic mask guidance in causing this whole Mask issue

Uh no, there is plenty of blame to go around, but the current kerfuffle around mask use has nothing to do with the WHO. People who refuses to wear them aren’t refusing to do so because the WHO didn’t recommend them at the start of the pandemic. This is a case of making excuses to fit “I didn’t want to wear them”

AoD

No new bike lanes here, at least not on purpose, but parking is gone in favour of patio space; and there seems to be about a bit over 1M left over before the car lane.......hmmmm

View attachment 255652

Geez.

At a time of social and political unrest, where the last decade has been marked by vehicle ramming attacks, lets make Eglinton a bowling alley for the next Charlottesville.

Some concrete barriers would be nice.

Geez.

At a time of social and political unrest, where the last decade has been marked by vehicle ramming attacks, lets make Eglinton a bowling alley for the next Charlottesville.

Some concrete barriers would be nice.
Eglinton would be where we watch BLM and the Boogaloos battle each other. At least it would be a few blocks from where the Battle of Montgomery's Tavern took place. The upcoming battle would be the Second Battle of Montgomery's Tavern.

Uh no, there is plenty of blame to go around, but the current kerfuffle around mask use has nothing to do with the WHO. People who refuses to wear them aren’t refusing to do so because the WHO didn’t recommend them at the start of the pandemic. This is a case of making excuses to fit “I didn’t want to wear them”

AoD
Well be honest if the WHO said from april to wear masks and govt put rules we wont have this issue as the thinking back then was different.

Like personally I thought there was no need to wear masks indoors unless you talking to people very close because govt said not needed.

It was around May I was like um wait a second lol reading alternative medical sources.

Like before I only wore it only grocery shopping now I even wear it always.

So yeah people who dont wear now are dumb but a lot of people were basing behaviour on bad information.

Well be honest if the WHO said from april to wear masks and govt put rules we wont have this issue as the thinking back then was different.

Like personally I thought there was no need to wear masks indoors unless you talking to people very close because govt said not needed.

It was around May I was like um wait a second lol reading alternative medical sources.

Like before I only wore it only grocery shopping now I even wear it always.

So yeah people who dont wear now are dumb but a lot of people were basing behaviour on bad information.

Not really. It was more misunderstood or outright ignored.

From a Public Health Ontario document from April 7, 2020 (Archived in the Wayback Machine):

2019-nCoV – What We Know So Far About...Wearing Masks in Public

Public mask wearing is potentially beneficial as source control when worn by a person with respiratory symptoms when exposure to public spaces is unavoidable and physical distancing is not possible (e.g. traveling for medical care). The role in preventing spread from asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic individuals is unknown, but theoretical.

Recommending indiscriminate public wearing of medical masks may result in additional critical shortages of masks needed to protect front-line healthcare workers, and any potential benefits of mask wearing are likely less impactful than physical distancing and hand hygiene.

We were told to avoid public places unless absolutely necessary, go out only once a week for groceries and one person per household was a designated shopper. Many people ignored this.

We were told wear a mask if you have symptoms and save medical grade masks and other PPE for healthcare workers. People ignored this as well.

We didn't know the level of asymptomatic spread that was involved in this virus, but if the above measures were followed to the letter, spread would've been more easily contained, even without everyone wearing masks.

Unfortunately, human nature and selfishness being what it is, many people have pushed this on much longer than it's had to be, and continue to spread the virus to this day.

A month ago, doctors recommended mandatory masks in Ontario. The Ford government passed the buck to the municipalities on this (and weirdly, not the Public Health Units). A lack of mandatory masks throughout the province means small towns with no cases are going to think they're safe and not introduce any mask laws. And they'll be just like Red States were back in May; laughing at New York saying, "It's not going to come here."

Not really. It was more misunderstood or outright ignored.

From a Public Health Ontario document from April 7, 2020 (Archived in the Wayback Machine):

2019-nCoV – What We Know So Far About...Wearing Masks in Public

We were told to avoid public places unless absolutely necessary, go out only once a week for groceries and one person per household was a designated shopper. Many people ignored this.

We were told wear a mask if you have symptoms and save medical grade masks and other PPE for healthcare workers. People ignored this as well.

We didn't know the level of asymptomatic spread that was involved in this virus, but if the above measures were followed to the letter, spread would've been more easily contained, even without everyone wearing masks.

Unfortunately, human nature and selfishness being what it is, many people have pushed this on much longer than it's had to be, and continue to spread the virus to this day.

A month ago, doctors recommended mandatory masks in Ontario. The Ford government passed the buck to the municipalities on this (and weirdly, not the Public Health Units). A lack of mandatory masks throughout the province means small towns with no cases are going to think they're safe and not introduce any mask laws. And they'll be just like Red States were back in May; laughing at New York saying, "It's not going to come here."
The WHO at the same time said masks were not needed which went against local experts.

This caused mass confusion if you remember and over time our leaders have seemed to stop listening fully to the WHo and make their own rules based on Canadian experts.

Which is for the best considering how dumb the WHO has been.

The WHO at the same time said masks were not needed which went against local experts.

This caused mass confusion if you remember and over time our leaders have seemed to stop listening fully to the WHo and make their own rules based on Canadian experts.

Which is for the best considering how dumb the WHO has been.

What does it has to do with the current bunch refusing to wear masks? They are refusing because WHO told them not to now? You are making excuses for the indefensible - their bad behaviour isn't the result of bad information - but from a misguided sense of entitlement, self-importance and lack of responsibility for others. Not because the WHO "confused them".

AoD

View attachment 255652

The idea is great, but I wish these installations (for curbTO, quiet streets and cafeTO) were more visually appealing. The street usually just ends up looking more like a construction zone than a space to hang out.

Back