News   Mar 28, 2024
 114     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 568     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 359     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Given the nature of the Ford base (and how it's voted in other levels of government): with the right kind of candidate with the right kind of message, how possible is it for any of *that* to break off to a "left" candidate? Despite present "base is solid" indicators, it's still not out of the question that tired-goods Doug could wind up as a third-place also-ran...

The issue is the only way a left wing candidate wins if Ford takes away a lot of Tory's support.

The issue is the only way a left wing candidate wins if Ford takes away a lot of Tory's support.

That is, (a) assuming that the "left" ceiling is low, and (b) assuming the Ford core is absolutely immovable (despite a lot of that base actually being amenable to Lib/NDP at other levels of gov't), and (c) assuming the "left" candidate shall "inevitably" be another Pantalone/Chow-style stale downtown drudge, and (d) assuming that Tory can't, simply can't, possibly be "Denis Coderred".

I could just as well foresee that, win or lose, a compelling "left" candidate could conceivably eat into the Ford base, more so than Ford eating into the Tory base.

Plenty of selfish people are Ford and Trump supporters. Me, me, me. They think people should just pull themselves up by their bootstraps and get rich and not depend on the public purse. They think everyone else gets in their way. They're not generally good at long term thinking or critical thinking. They tend to be hypocritical -- they are against (or for) something until it affects them directly, and then suddenly it's different because it's about them.
Narcissistic, silver spoon fed, low cognitive ability, habitual lying trust fund kids with daddy issues; check.:D

He has a point if the homeless shelters was a scandal on the scale of the garbage strike.

But it is not.

But was even the garbage strike as much of a damaging "scandal" as some claim?

One thing to remember about the 2010 election is that when pollsters offered the hypothetical of David Miller running again, he would have won over Rob Ford.

The issue in 2010 was George Smitherman was a pretty useless candidate like Hillary.

Not that I am a fan of Smitherman at all (nor being particularly hagiographic about Hillary), but it turned out we went for the useless mayor in 2010 instead.

AoD

Last edited:
The issue in 2010 was George Smitherman was a pretty useless candidate like Hillary.
Yes and now he is apparently running as Councillor in new Ward 21 (St Lawrence). I doubt if he has got less furious or more organised in the last few years. There are good reasons that the Provincial Liberals told him that he could not be an MPP candidate again.

Back