News   Jul 23, 2024
 355     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 431     1 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 1.8K     3 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

The graph ends at 2006 though. 2008 was the start of the crash, and employment decreased in the City ...
I wouldn't call 2008 a crash.

It went down a bit, but not as much as 2001, and nothing like 1991. At best it lost a couple of years grown, and then soared since then to new record highs. Just like transit.

Gas prices are much less of a factor in ridership these days.

jobs+in+the+city+of+toronto[1].jpg

Attachments

• jobs+in+the+city+of+toronto[1].jpg
    jobs+in+the+city+of+toronto[1].jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 615
I wouldn't call 2008 a crash.

It went down a bit, but not as much as 2001, and nothing like 1991. At best it lost a couple of years grown, and then soared since then to new record highs. Just like transit.

Gas prices are much less of a factor in ridership these days.

Sure, when you look at the number of jobs, things look good... but that does not take into account the population growth that has occured. The unemployment rate is a much better metric to compare to:

unemployment+rate+in+the+city+of+toronto+versus+gta.jpg

http://www.torontocondobubble.com/2013/05/toronto-unemployment-from-1987-2013.html

Attachments

• unemployment+rate+in+the+city+of+toronto+versus+gta.jpg
    unemployment+rate+in+the+city+of+toronto+versus+gta.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 584
Sure, when you look at the number of jobs, things look good... but that does not take into account the population growth that has occured. The unemployment rate is a much better metric to compare to:
If the number of jobs has gone up, but unemployment has increased more because of population increase - surely TTC ridership would follow the employment rate ... not the unemployment rate!

There was a poll that showed Chow would win an election if ran as well.

And in the future, there will be a poll (multiple polls, actually) that will show that the Honourable Benevolent Dictator of Toronto, TheTigerMaster, will win with at least 107% of the vote if he were to grant the people of Toronto democratic rights.

Last edited:
Sorry, what? Is there? Ha, could have fooled me.

I'd be concerned about granting democratic rights with universal suffrage. That would only enfranchise the poor and shift policies to their greater benefit against the business community.

(And sadly that was exactly what some of the anti-democrats in Hong Kong said a few months ago...)

I'd be concerned about granting democratic rights with universal suffrage. That would only enfranchise the poor and shift policies to their greater benefit against the business community.

(And sadly that was exactly what some of the anti-democrats in Hong Kong said a few months ago...)

Universal suffrage hasn't exactly shifted policies to the greater benefit of the poor while damaging the interests of business. What was the total dollar value of all corporate subsidies in the last year in Canada?
The anti-democrats in Hong Kong were pulling at straws as I doubt they're ignorant of how many tax dollars go to prop up sometimes failing enterprises.

Approval ratings this early in a mandate are really meaningless.....but this story is even more so.......if some one has an approval rating of 74% with a margin of error of 3 points that means it is really between 77 and 71%.....now it polls as 67% which is really between 70% and 64%.....so, quite possibly, we are seeing news reports that could be about nothing more than a blip of 1 percentage point 2 months into a 4 year term....says a lot about our news cycles if that is "news".

Sometimes no news is good news.

I've noticed that the news in Toronto is picking up more crime stories from other parts of North America. I guess there is just not enough blood on the streets here in Toronto anymore! Not enough snow either judging by the fact that 25% of our news coverage was just about a snow storm in New York.

The 33% of responds that didn't approve of John Tory all work in the news media industry.

Back