News   Jul 23, 2024
 91     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 207     1 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 980     2 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

I still don't get how someone seemingly intelligent such a John Tory could say something as profoundly stupid as this. It forces me to question his judgement.

Have you ever read a Stephen King quote on a book cover? He unfailingly says it's the best book ever written. Because there's absolutely no upside in saying anything else.

Shawn Jeffords ‏@Shawn_Jeffords 11m11 minutes ago
Deputy Mayor Denzil Minnan-Wong calls Cllr. Perks and Ford an "unholy alliance" after the pair both slam city budget in same way. #TOpoli

DMW speaks! Also, the media really needs to stop asking the ex-mayor what he thinks...

betsy powellVerified account
‏@powellbetsy
Coun Perks says if council ignored Rob Ford 49 months ago the Shepard LRT would be up and running implores executive not to make same error

Last edited:
...Also, the media really needs to stop asking the ex-mayor what he thinks...

+10,000. Reporters have dozens of other councillors to talk to. Unlike Rob, some of them even have a grasp of this issues. I'm hoping this "what does the former mayor think" goes away soon. If anybody cares, they can ask Joe W. or join Neil Flagg's group.

No, we don't. Because no, he didn't. I know I'm flogging a dead horse, but still by far the best Mayor in my decades in Toronto. Although Tory is starting off with energy and promise.

I don't want to get too off-topic, but here's a choice quote from Toronto Life:

Since Miller came into office, Toronto has drifted far from the ideals its citizens hold dear: cleanliness, efficiency, competent governance, a degree of fiscal solvency, traffic that isn’t as bad as L.A.’s. Only the most determined utopians, innumerates and CUPE members still think this is a model of a high-functioning city. Toronto’s net debt is more than a billion dollars greater than it was in 2004. The 2010 operating budget projects 43 per cent more spending than in 2003, much of it on salaries and benefits to Miller’s purported friends in the unions.

http://www.torontolife.com/informer...n-long-years/?page=all#tlb_multipage_anchor_1

betsy powell ‏@powellbetsy 9s10 seconds ago
Tory love in at executive. "It's our turn to do the right thing," and leave a legacy, says Coun Palacio, praising the mayor for his vision
betsy powell ‏@powellbetsy 8m8 minutes ago
Coun Paula Fletcher tells executive she's all over SmartTrack and let's get on with it. Praises Tory for his leadership.

So, we have a former Ford ally praising Tory in Palacio.

Well that rules out.....everyone.

I suppose we can always put the anarchists in charge.

Exactly! They all lie.

Shawn Jeffords ‏@Shawn_Jeffords 1m1 minute ago
Exec Committee approves SmartTrack work plan unanimously. #TOpoli

Well now, Rob didn't even bother to vote against it.

Last edited:
Speaking of Flagg, what is Ford Nayshun saying about the brothers backing different leadership candidates?

I wouldn't know. :p But I don't imagine it's a big deal. I doubt Rob and Doug have much do with each other these days, beyond Doug's understandable concern for his brother's health. I don't think they get together and debate their preferred candidates.

I wouldn't know. :p But I don't imagine it's a big deal. I doubt Rob and Doug have much do with each other these days, beyond Doug's understandable concern for his brother's health. I don't think they get together and debate their preferred candidates.

Well cognitive dissonance is their specialty - they can paper over anything and claim 1+1=3.

AoD

No, we don't. Because no, he didn't. I know I'm flogging a dead horse, but still by far the best Mayor in my decades in Toronto. Although Tory is starting off with energy and promise.

I don't know that he's the best mayor we've had in decades. But I will say that Miller is, without a doubt, the best Mayor we've had since amalgamation. However mind that his "competition" for the title of best mayor has been pretty pathetic (Ford and Lastman).

I don't know that he's the best mayor we've had in decades. But I will say that Miller is, without a doubt, the best Mayor we've had since amalgamation. However mind that his "competition" for the title of best mayor has been pretty pathetic (Ford and Lastman).

Miller was definitely better than both Ford and Lastman. Will Tory be better? So far he's better than both Ford and Lastman, we'll see after four years where he rates with Miller.

Yeah! Let's make live miserable for drivers! Yeah!

What are you talking about? Why would reflecting the true cost of a behaviour make people miserable? As a daily driver, I'll tell you what makes me miserable: traffic. Especially traffic caused by the sheer volume of people driving a car alone when they don't NEED to be driving at all.

Transit should be cheaper and driving should be more expensive.

Back