News   Mar 28, 2024
 955     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 541     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 834     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Giorgio Mammoliti used to be NDP at the start of his political life. At the "end", he had turned to the "dark side" and tried to seek the (Progressive) Conservative nomination in Brampton Centre in 2018, but decided to try to remain in municipal politics. See link.
Speaking of Mammo… It would appear *someone* wants to employ him; and his lack of scruples clearly makes it easy for a councillor who demanded his coworkers take drug tests to work for a cannabis company.

Speaking of Mammo… It would appear *someone* wants to employ him; and his lack of scruples clearly makes it easy for a councillor who demanded his coworkers take drug tests to work for a cannabis company.

Isn't that the preferred retirement destination of politicians with umm, colourful careers?

AoD

Jimmy K is still officially a Liberal.

Remember, the Liberal Party is a big tent. Within that tent are dark corners, where you'll find the Sgros, Mark Grimes, Justin DiDunpar, and Jimmy K.
Though there certainly is a wide range of Liberals (both Federal and Provincial), I am not really sure if they are "Liberals" (from what I know of them, none are 'liberals') or if they are simply people who want to be on the winning team (or run in a safe seat).

....or if they are simply people who want to be on the winning team (or run in a safe seat).

That's kind of what being a Liberal is all about though. Guess you hadn't noticed. See, for example: Trudeau's lie about electoral reform.

I'm not sure of the best place to put this, so here it is.

I raised an eyebrow at this

No, not the stabbing. I'm not surprised by that, but by the fact it happened in the "Port Lands."

Port Lands? Is it Port Lands or Portlands? The question of our times.

City budget has passed.

While there were no major amendments, a few positive small tweaks did work there way through.

An extra $858,000 for Library Open Hours passed, on the motion of Councillor Peruzza, whose speech for this was one of the more odd in the history of council. He spoke of having some of his best naps in York Woods library branch.....LOL

Some emergency money was freed up for Cabbagetown Youth Ctr

1M was added for Eviction Prevention.

A few report requests were approved including on examining a parking levy........which the Mayor voted for.l

How much revenue do you think the commercial parking levy could potentially generate?

From this KPMG Report, from a few years ago:

1582153885961.png

That suggests something in excess of 600M per year is highly plausible.

Realistically, I would see small businesses being exempt (I don't see the City exhausting political capital on 2 spaces behind a storefront.)

But you hit an easy 200M on the paid spaces alone.

Assuming you hit 'free spaces' only for commercial sites and with a minimum lot size of .....50 spaces?

I think you would hit 350M per year with your eyes closed.

But that's a crude guess.

As the report notes, there isn't yet a fulsome inventory of spaces with which to work.

I'm also assuming the $1.50 per day price.

One could easily argue for more.

Next Council Agenda is up, for Feb 26.

Mostly, as per the norm, this is approval of what's already gone through the committed process, but sometimes interesting stuff comes up in 'new business' or in 'member motions'.

This motion from Councillor Bradford caught my attention, asking for a report on a Vacant Storefront Tax.

Next Council Agenda is up, for Feb 26.

Mostly, as per the norm, this is approval of what's already gone through the committed process, but sometimes interesting stuff comes up in 'new business' or in 'member motions'.

This motion from Councillor Bradford caught my attention, asking for a report on a Vacant Storefront Tax.

Good god, I hope it passes.

Back