News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 390     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Perks would be a terrific candidate. Scrappy and unabashedly progressive. Would he risk a run though and lose a safe council seat?

I think some high profile councillors - KWT, Mike Layton - might wait until 2022 when Tory is past his best before date or bows out.

Perks would be a terrific candidate. Scrappy and unabashedly progressive. Would he risk a run though and lose a safe council seat?

I think some high profile councillors - KWT, Mike Layton - might wait until 2022 when Tory is past his best before date or bows out.
Tory has promised not to run again after 2018 - and given his age there's no reason to think he'd reconsider. It's also a good tactical move because as we see it's keeping his critics on the sidelines for 2018

Perks would be as polarizing as Adam Vaughan, if not more so.

He does actually understand the city though.

I don't think Gord Perks oozes 'urban champagne sipping elitist' the way Adam Vaughan does, though. Perks' disheveled look and matter-of-fact tone might be more attractive to the inner burbs.

Tory has promised not to run again after 2018 - and given his age there's no reason to think he'd reconsider. It's also a good tactical move because as we see it's keeping his critics on the sidelines for 2018

Tory also said he would only run in 2014 and that ain't happening.

Tory wants to be re-elected as Mayor, and has determined that there are a lot of Scarborough votes in advocating for SSE because the whole mess has turned into one of those gruesome suburban identity politics issues. Wynne apparently made the same calculation.
But its only 1 stop so unless you live near scsrborough town centre how will it benefit anyone? If you live south are you going to travel north just to get on the subway to come back down south?

But its only 1 stop so unless you live near scsrborough town centre how will it benefit anyone? If you live south are you going to travel north just to get on the subway to come back down south?
It will benefit everyone in Scarborough because they'll feel recognized as equals to the downtown elites, even though their transit will continue to be shit. And don't forget the 2300 new daily riders the line is forecast to attract. That's 839,500 extra trips a year, my friend. Let's say the interest on the $4 billion cost is 4%, or $160 million a year. And we never repay the principal. That works out to a reasonable $191 cost we all pay for each incremental SSE trip. Or $188 if you deduct the three bucks for the fare. Because you can't put a price on justice for Scarborough. Oh wait, you can.

Last edited:

If they create a proper transit hub similar to York Mills and Don Mils as an example there could be some salvage of the situation. Including a BRT/LRT to Centennial and Sheppard-Morningside would make things palatable.

It will benefit everyone in Scarborough because they'll feel recognized as equals to the downtown elites, even though their transit will continue to be shit. And don't forget the 2300 new daily riders the line is forecast to attract. That's 839,500 extra trips a year, my friend. Let's say the interest on the $4 billion cost is 4%, or $160 million a year. And we never repay the principal. That works out to a reasonable $191 cost we all pay for each incremental SSE trip. Or $188 if you deduct the three bucks for the fare. Because you can't put a price on justice for Scarborough. Oh wait, you can.
Oh please... feelings? elites? you have been drinking the kool-aid.

Back