News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.4K     12 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 602     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

why is this surprise and not necessarily from Di Ciano but I am talking in general about most councillors. Plus how many times does council not make a decision within required time and then developer goes to OMB - obviously councillors do not want to make these decisions which will be on the record and then face the wrath of residents or the developer that paid them off
I can't speak for the majority of councillors, but it really is no surprise for a South Etobicoke councillor to be facing these allegations, considering all the development that has gone through in South Etobicoke during this boom.

Screen Shot 2016-10-21 at 10.43.25 PM.png

1. Bob Richardson
- Edelman Canada’s executive VP for public affairs, co-chaired Tory’s mayoral campaign
2. Nick Kouvalis - co-owner of pollster Campaign Research, senior strategist of the Tory campaign

Councillor Davis: “It is clear the mayor favours privatization. Hydro hiring some of the people who helped him get elected looks concerning and may be a conflict of interest. It appears there is a plan underway not just to investigate financial information but to come up with a plan to sell privatization to the public.”

http://on.thestar.com/2eCNGmn

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-21 at 10.43.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-21 at 10.43.25 PM.png
    27.1 KB · Views: 543
The punishment for corruption needs to be merciless. Our anti-corruption laws are a joke.
Whistleblower protection might be useful.

The Intercept has published a four part report on The Code of Silence in the Chicago Police Department which is very informative, explaining some of the high crime rates in that city. Democracy Now today broadcast an interview with the Chicago crime reporter and the whistleblowing cop who brought this story to light.

Backgrounder for Police Reformation process in Toronto.

View attachment 89625

1. Bob Richardson
- Edelman Canada’s executive VP for public affairs, co-chaired Tory’s mayoral campaign
2. Nick Kouvalis - co-owner of pollster Campaign Research, senior strategist of the Tory campaign

Councillor Davis: “It is clear the mayor favours privatization. Hydro hiring some of the people who helped him get elected looks concerning and may be a conflict of interest. It appears there is a plan underway not just to investigate financial information but to come up with a plan to sell privatization to the public.”

Richardson was supposed to be paid back with an Olympic bid, so this must be the consolation prize.

View attachment 89625

1. Bob Richardson

It gets better...

Screen Shot 2016-10-22 at 10.20.52 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-22 at 10.20.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-22 at 10.20.52 AM.png
    30.2 KB · Views: 359
The mayoralty that keeps on giving.

How a bid to resurrect Scarborough LRT was killed: Analysis
Documents and sources reveal the inside story of how a plan to return to an LRT alternative was killed by the mayor and discredited by staff

[...]Chair Rob Prichard responded directly to McCuaig with a suggestion.

“I would say (Metrolinx) will work with city, not prepared to. Make it positive. Let’s get on with it,” he said.

But he made clear that the province would not make good on their commitment to fund the subway until the city paid for millions in lost work planning the LRT. To make his point, he raised the spectre of another recent scandal over cancelled plans that embroiled the Liberal government.

“I would not and will not flow a dollar to the city until they repay the $85 (million) plus. Period. Non-negotiable. Rigid,” Prichard wrote. “No gas plants for us, thanks.”

[...]

Today, plans for the revised one-stop subway extension are already behind schedule, meaning the $3.2-billion cost estimate is expected to rise, a fact council should have known in July but which staff did not emphasize.

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...rect-scarborough-lrt-was-killed-analysis.html

This from todays Economist Briefing:

The night mayor: From dusk till dawn

When the mayor of Amsterdam heads home at the end of the day, the city’s “night mayor” clocks in. His job is to breathe life into a city’s nightlife and create a space for culture to flourish after offices close. Paris and Zurich have already followed Amsterdam’s example—and London is set to appoint a night mayor of its own. It is easy to see why: a city’s after-hours economy generates billions of dollars annually

Care to nominate a Councillor to take this on?

Not sure if it's been discussed on this thread, but I don't see where else TPS/Saunders related issues are being discussed. Anyway I'm not a fan of the new squad car colours and wanted to see how the Taurus Interceptor would look with the old livery. Or rather the colour scheme prior to the old one. With newer vehicles the angles aren't level so things look a bit off, which may be a reason they previously veered away from the stripe to the current swoop. But for fun and if anyone else is interested:

TPS-new-taurus-old-livery_44N.png

Attachments

• TPS-new-taurus-old-livery_44N.png
    TPS-new-taurus-old-livery_44N.png
    140.4 KB · Views: 384
Time to vote out crap from all political levels! Time to show the door to almost all of Toronto Council, and a slew of MPPs and MPs!
Actually it is time to get rid of partisan politics altogether and have a true democracy.

Amsterdam also has a "cycling mayor". We need to pay more attention to Amsterdam.
I was baked most of my time there but from what I can remember Amsterdam is awesome for cyclists. I recall a big, separated path going right through the heart of the city.

Back