News   Mar 28, 2024
 621     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 441     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 771     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

It feels like 'Smart Track' means something different every day and Tory is inching towards accepting some things he previously worked against, as long as he gets to put the name on it.

In reality, I think Smart Track has been a necessary political move in this city, no matter what people may think about it. It allowed the anti-LRT sentiment to die down, and took attention away from the Subway Subway Subway crowd. It essentially bought Tory enough time to completely re-draw transit plans for the city. Look at what we are getting now... essentially Transit City, plus a subway, plus improved RER (branded as Smart Track), and more progress on the DRL.

None of this would have been possible under Ford as he would have charged ahead with his subways everywhere plan, and none of this would have been possible under Chow who would be too polarizing, which is why she got trounced in the election.

I have no doubt that this city will be in great shape after Tory is done his term, especially when it comes to transit. We'll be paying more due to tax increases and 'revenue tools', but its about damn time we do. As long as I see things happening, its worth it.

http://news.nationalpost.com/toront...uld-set-good-precedent-for-transit-in-toronto

Check out the map under Ford and the new map. Night and day. Of course he's against it but it's so necessary in Scarborough.
Hmmm... If things actually get done then Scarborough will have a good deal of the transit Robbie interfered with after his election. I think the singular station on the B&D extension is more fitting for a one trick pony.

The one part of Transit City I was truly pissed about being cancelled was the Scarborough-Malvern LRT... so I am having a hard time dealing with the present happy.

I've said it before, but I wouldn't be surprised if Michael Binetti--"Miketoronto" of decade-ago UT lore--was part of Rob Ford's "Night Shift" (as per Towhey) on the Scarborough transit issue.

http://news.nationalpost.com/toront...uld-set-good-precedent-for-transit-in-toronto

Check out the map under Ford and the new map. Night and day. Of course he's against it but it's so necessary in Scarborough.

Meanwhile, Doug Ford (what does he actually do now?) is foaming at the mouth to Don Peat, saying Scarborough councillors should be fighting for a subway ... even though Tory's latest proposal/compromise includes a subway extension (albeit just one stop), regional express GO, and LRT and Smart Track (whatever form that ends up taking). Seems like Scarborough would be getting quite a lot of transit, but Doug wants people to be mad about that?

Meanwhile, Doug Ford (what does he actually do now?) is foaming at the mouth to Don Peat, saying Scarborough councillors should be fighting for a subway ... even though Tory's latest proposal/compromise includes a subway extension (albeit just one stop), regional express GO, and LRT and Smart Track (whatever form that ends up taking). Seems like Scarborough would be getting quite a lot of transit, but Doug wants people to be mad about that?

If SmartTrack actually ends up with 5 minute headways, even 10 or 15 minutes (which is about the norm for U.S. subways), Scarborough will be getting its "subway", but on the surface.

Adding the Malvern LRT is great, but Tory still needs to justify why a one-stop subway extension is better for Scarberians than using the cash to build the grade-separated Scarborough LRT + Sheppard LRT. If you look at the city's presentation showing transit usage there's a lot of value to linking Sheppard East with STC.

Adding the Malvern LRT is great, but Tory still needs to justify why a one-stop subway extension is better for Scarberians than using the cash to build the grade-separated Scarborough LRT + Sheppard LRT. If you look at the city's presentation showing transit usage there's a lot of value to linking Sheppard East with STC.
Politics, the new plan has the majority support of MPP/Counselors. Metrolinx was planning the revival of the "Scarborough-Malvern LRT", Tory and company want ST and the subway counselors get their extension.

Don't forget that the supposed earmarked money, as per Robbie's mouth, for a "Scarborough Subway" was killed by Harper (to balance the books I assume) and the 660Mil would need to come from Provincial infrastructure fund; I haven't seen anything specific from Trudy.

I'm all for an EL from Kennedy along Eglinton and north on Danforth/McCowan to at least the STC, and a BRT across Progress to Centennial College and north to Sheppard. I firmly promote that all major scholastic institutions should be serviced by rapid transit.

I have said it before but it needs to be said again, what's the Blizzard doing in Toronto business? Is she bored with he own job, is she tired from trying to keep SAL's focus on being the Blizzard's subordinate? Anyway, I always thought that increasing proposed rapid transit, not buses that the Blizzard muses about, was a positive thing. I guess I'm wrong that more rapid transit serving more people and reducing travel time must be wrong, I'm so confused.

Scarborough residents deserve the subway that was promised
Suck it up, Scarborough.

You got screwed again.

Politely and with great consultation and hand-wringing all around.

But make no mistake, all you transit-bereft east-enders.

You got the subway shaft — again.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/01/23/scarborough-residents-deserve-the-subway-that-was-promised

Peace In Our Time? Who, exactly, is Chamberlain in this scenario? Who is Hitler? Blizzard, get it together. I know the Sun has to ritually shake its fist at LRT, but reaching into the gutter for such ridiculous hyperbole demeans you and the dead trees this rubbish will be printed on.

Nice job, incidentally, not reporting on the LRT that will serve many more people than the 3 stop subway extension would. I guess they and the UTSC students don't matter to you.

Back