Market Wharf Condos (Context Development) - Real Estate -

I would only go for tiles throughout if I lived in the southern State where its warm for most of the year ... you won't like the feeling of those tiles in Toronto's winter (although this past one is very mild)

My vote goes to engineering hardwood~

I would only go for tiles throughout if I lived in the southern State where its warm for most of the year ... you won't like the feeling of those tiles in Toronto's winter (although this past one is very mild)

My vote goes to engineering hardwood~

Except the unit below you is heated so it isn't like you are on top of the ground (at least in the tower).

Yeah, I don't think tiles are necessarily cold unless you're in a basement or in direct contact with the ground. I have tiles and they're comfortable year-round. But if you drop any glass on it, the glass will shatter into a million pieces.

We probably shouldn't be having a conversation about finishes in the P&C forum...

Wow, colour selection is starting already? I was hoping to do some homework before my appointment gets set. Don't want to spend money if I can save elsewhere. I'd better get on it.

If you're thinking of ever reselling the unit do not go with all tile. It will make it significantly harder to sell and may hurt the value of your unit. Tile through out is popular in the south of Europe, Australia and warmer places. If it's a personal taste you really want then fine, otherwise go with as much hardwood as you can.

last year I saw a 2 bed unit in 60 Bathurst. It was all tiled with a beautiful dark gray porcelain, the unit looked spectacular, very warm as the tile was dark. The unit was sold in less than a week. very unique. If you like it go ahead, people will love it

Having tile through out the unit is definitely a unique feature.
Having tile floors everywhere is especially common in southern Europe, Central and South America and Southern Asia where hot weather exists, but I think it will be a harder sell here because people love wood floors so much and it is softer and warmer to walk on.
Tile floors in a condo building will not tend to get too chilly because of the amount of heat absorbed by the concrete structure from the surrounding floors.

Maintanence is better with tile as it is doesn't scratch or dent like wood, but it will crack or chip with a hard impact, however as long as you have extra tiles repairs is much easier than wood and could be something you could do yourself.
It's hard to say whether to go with tile or wood. Do you intend on living here for a while or is it for investment? Wood is a safer choice, but tile could look just as good (or even better) if done right.

I almost bought a Unit K on a high floor in Market Wharf and think it is still a very nice building in a great location. The east side is not an area I would consider initially, but being across the street from SLM and so close to Loblaws, the waterfront, the ferry terminal, the Distillery District, and the Gardiner/Don Valley Parkway, it has a lot going.
The reasons I came so close in buying here is not just because of it's best location in the east side, but because of the clear west view to downtown (along the railway corridor), the clean design of the building, and its amenities. However King West area became my calling and I got a great deal.

Context is an excellent developer and I have bought a unit from them (in the Ideal Lofts in Little Italy) before and never had an issue. They maynot be not the most aggressive developers/builders in Toronto (like Freed and Lamb), but they have consistantly built excellent condos in Toronto for a while: 20 Niagara, Mozo, District Lofts, Tip Top Lofts, Spire, Radio City... and the list goes on.
Construction is going much faster than most developments downtown, and I believe Market Wharf would be a greatly positive addition to the neighborhood.

Price per sq.ft. is a bit high, but if you compare to a similar unit at the first phase tower at the Distillery District it is not that much more and you are so much closer to downtown.

I decided to go with all tile. The hardwood option didn't cover the whole main area. With my layout even with hardwood, there would have been tile in the entrance and tile in the kitchen. the kitchen is a linear kitchen so there would have been a strange transition between the tile and the wood - ie. a quarter of the l/r, d/t kitchen area would have been tile. There was no option for all hardwood or an island (which would have helped with the transition between the tile in the kitchen and wood in the l/r and d/r). It'll look good and can be warmed up with some rugs. The area is small enough that it won't seem like there is too much tile. I was surprised at how few upgrades there were. When I bought my old unit in Mozo there were many more. Maybe there aren't many upgrades with the smaller units (680 sq ft).

I purchased Water Suite Type E and if you look at that layout, I think it would've been weird to have tile in the foyer and kitchen and then wood in the dining and living room. I wanted continous wood flooring throughout and I got it - but I had to sign a waiver related to the warranty. Also got wood instead of carpet in the bedroom. At only 619sf and a desire for wood flooring, I felt I had to have it throughout.

Urban Vigor - I asked if I could get wood in the kitchen and foyer and they said no. I had wood everywhere at Mozo and had no problem. They did mention that the quality of the engineered hardwood at M Wharf was not as good as the maple upgrade I got at Mozo. We got the Market Flat type A (see attached for the floorplan http://www.marketwharf.com/floorplans/mf_a.pdf) on the fourth floor - the transition bw the tile in the kitch and the wood would have been in the middle of the dining table on the attached. I think this will be a good long term investment ppty.

I'm curious what the waiver said. Hopefully you didn't waive the entire warranty.

Specifically related to the kitchen (and if I recall correctly the waiver overlooked the foyer even though that'll be wood too). So the warranty would still stand for the wood flooring in the living room and bedroom (and I assume the dining area would be considered separate even though it's right next to the kitchen).

The thing is while water is a bigger concern on wood than it is on tile, I wipe any messes immediately and I currently have concrete flooring in my kitchen. It's best to clean any water or mess on the floor immediately no matter what the material is made of. Also preengineered hardwood is actually considered good quality for kitchens. Better than laminate and even then it's often used in kitchens. My only concern is when contractors who don't apply TLC install the appliances. Should there be any damage by them to the floor, have I waived any insurance against that? Or will they commit to a quality of workmanship? That's the only issue I see.

Looking at your floor plan, just like mine, it would be weird to have tile and then transition to wood in the living/dining. If our kitchens were galleys then it would be OK.

Whether you go all tile or all wood is a good idea, IMO. I think you made a great choice. It would only be weird to transition from wood to tile with our floor plans.

I'm sure it will look great.

I asked and got hardwood throughout, including the entry and kitchen. A waiver must be signed to protect the builder from water damage.
This was requested with my offer, so I think if you ask for it after your offer becomes firm they may be reluctant to give it to you, or they are just being lazy.
The sales representative I worked with was Miriam.

I eventually didn't go through with the offer though.

Market Wharf - Special Promos

Hi Urban Vigor,

If you are still interested I can get you into Market Wharf at about 530/ sq. ft. on a high floor.
You can contact me through this site if you are still interested!

Hi,

I am interested in buying a unit (around 600sqf) at Market wharf at the high floor. Let me know if anything is available and If I can get it the below mentioned 530/sqf price.

mverma

for the finishes selection, do you have to pick up a package previously selected by the builder or can you select and combine any color from the standards? what is the size of the tiles? 1'x1', 1'x2' or 2'x'2'? is there any cost if you want to go hardwood throughout?

Back