News   Apr 24, 2024
 682     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 884     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 557     0 

Mark Saunders: Toronto's new police chief

So, Saunders comes out for carding and Royson James blisters him for it.

I get why the opponents hate it, but I don't get why the supporters care to keep it. Am I obtuse? The evidence doesn't seem to ever get used in court. What am I missing?

If you miss 99% of the shots you don't take, you still score once every hundred times.

I get why the opponents hate it, but I don't get why the supporters care to keep it. Am I obtuse? The evidence doesn't seem to ever get used in court. What am I missing?
Because it's effective policing.

Summary executions of anyone the police to believe to be in a criminal gang would be effective policing as well though.

Because it's effective policing.

Summary executions of anyone the police to believe to be in a criminal gang would be effective policing as well though.

And the Baltimore police seem to think assaulting citizens is effective policing...

That's a bit of a provocative comparison, but just because the police think it's effective policing, I don't quite get why the courts/board/politicos think it's effective policing. The whole 'buy us a helicopter' episode with Fantino comes to mind. It was very expensive and there was never any study presented that it added to better arrest rates or more efficient policing.

The Cole article reminded me of a buddy of mine, upper-middle-class black, who would tell stories of getting stopped every time he jogged through Rosedale. I'd roll my eyes. I shouldn't have. Stopping Andy to ask why he was jogging a block from home? How is that effective policing?

If you miss 99 of 100 shots you don't take (99%), then you make a goal in 1 of 100 shots you don't take.

Hahaha... My sarcasm meter must be broken. That makes as little sense as the first version to me. So, you're trying to twist the hackneyed hockey line 'You miss 100% of the shots you don't take'? My (reaching, I know) metaphor would be 'sure, you scored once out of a 100 times, but the other 99 hit spectators and now the crowd is angry and suspicious.'

I expect it's time to move on...

So, Saunders comes out for carding and Royson James blisters him for it.

I think it's fairly clear that carding isn't about collecting evidence. It's about the police demonstrating how much power they have over a person in order to intimidate them. In high school it would be called bullying - "I can make you do stuff you don't want to do because you are powerless to stop me".

The simplistic theory is that this kind of intimidation will keep people in line and therefore helps prevent crime. In reality it doesn't work, and often makes things worst, because the police lose the respect of citizens and a police force can only be effect if they maintain the respect of the community they serve. If the citizens come to view the police as nothing but a militia for the rich and powerful (or of one race) then the suppressed people will rebel like they are doing in various US cities. Committing crimes, everything from shoplifting to graffiti to rioting, becomes a form of protest against the bullies. The best way to prevent these kinds of sociopolitical crimes is to make ALL people feel like they are worthy and respected citizens of their community.

Last edited:
I was just reading a Reddit news item re: Google's Map Maker problems in the USA, esp re: the White House. Well in the interests of research, I noticed that same offensive word leads you to a pin over TP's 22 Division. Surprised it hasn't made the news yet.

Btw, there's a graphic with the description and if you zoom out a bit, the neighbouring property is labeled with a "z."

Last edited:
I was just reading a Reddit news item re: Google's Map Maker problems in the USA, esp re: the White House. Well in the interests of research, I noticed that same offensive word leads you to a pin over TP's 22 Division. Surprised it hasn't made the news yet.

Btw, there's a graphic with the description and if you zoom out a bit, the neighbouring property is labeled with a "z."
There is a way to search for the White House correctly: 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC

I'm gonna put this in here because I'm not sure what thread it would be better in - want some feedback from the overall group.

I have a friend of a friend (personally, I greatly dislike this guy) who is trying his hardest to become a cop and be accepted in the Toronto Police College. This guy is a complete psychopath and I'm worried he will get in and become a cop. He steals, lies, brags about how he can't wait to pull people over for bullshit, confiscate kids' weed to smoke it himself, etc...

A police offer is the law, he has to be a morally strong person, one who upholds the law and doesn't use it to benefit himself... We see bad cops all the time, but how do we stop them? In this case, is there an anonymous tip line for people who are concerned about crazy cops-to-be??

I wouldn't worry too much. They screen potential hires. Though, sounds like he'd fit right in with Durham Police.

Toronto police chief's SUV seen parked illegally next to hydrant

Driver stayed close to Chief Mark Saunders’ vehicle, near Yonge-Dundas Square, in case of emergency, a police spokesperson tells the Star.

global-police-tweet.jpg.size.custom.crop.496x650.jpg

From link.

Police Chief Mark Saunders’ vehicle was spotted parked illegally on Wednesday afternoon, next to a fire hydrant at a busy intersection, while he attended an event in downtown Toronto.

In a photo taken by a Global News cameraman, the chief’s police-issued SUV was parked directly in front of a fire hydrant on Victoria Ave., just east of Dundas St. E., at about 12:30 p.m. Global reported that the SUV remained parked there for more than 30 minutes.

According to the police service, Saunders was attending the Simon Wiesenthal Centre for Holocaust Studies’ Freedom Day, and ensured that the driver of the vehicle was “close enough in the event firefighters needed access to the hydrant.”

“The Chief of Police’s driver goes to great lengths to park appropriately,” police spokesperson Meaghan Gray told the Star. “If there is no other option, they will park where they need to, in order to provide that safety and security should something happen.”

In an initiative at the beginning of September to crack down on gridlock, Toronto Police issued 1,467 tickets and towed 298 vehicles in a four-day enforcement blitz targeting parked vehicles that were obstructing busy downtown streets.

According to a Canadian Press analysis of Toronto’s parking-ticket data, the city collected more than $24 million between 2008 and 2014 in fines levied against drivers who parked too close to hydrants.

Wonder if Police Chief Mark Saunders will give himself a parking ticket?... Nah.

Back