News   Apr 18, 2024
 6.3K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.5K     4 

Low quality goods

lol Harry Rosen has a Dolce and Gabbana shirt for $775, are you kidding me lmao

lol Harry Rosen has a Dolce and Gabbana shirt for $775, are you kidding me lmao

I did make lots of suggestions that were a fair bit cheaper, LOL

I also suggested avoiding their casual shirts as I didn't see the value for money.

Your note above comporting w/my supposition.

Indeed... I genuinely don't mind spending extra for quality, but not that much extra. For $700, I expect the shirt to stop a bullet lol

One gets what one pays for. Everyone is looking for cheap stuff. Cheap stuff costs you more in the long-term as you have to replace it more frequently. Case in point - I bought a fancy espresso maker - cost me $800 as it was bean to cup kind. I considered it to be an investment as I can make good quality coffee at home. I've had it for 10 years now. No issues and still going strong. Or one can get cheap versions for $100-$200 that break all the time.

Clothes is a very interesting case - they have gotten worse. Female clothing is much worse than male clothing. Many shops, one can wear an item only until the first wash, then it shrinks or rips and it's garbage after. Harry Rosen does have some great male clothes. I'd suggest buying on sales as they are not cheap but their quality and service are superb.

Another area that people complain about is airfare. Fares have gotten lower and lower if accounted for inflation. Yes everyone complains about all the ancillary charges for bags, food, etc.. The airline costs have gone up with each passing year. 10 years ago I could fly from YYZ-LHR for $1000 - $1200 in peak summer round trip (booked early). The price is the same now. The old economy class is now called Premium Economy and the same trip in that cabin would cost another $1000 more. New Economy should be rebranded as bus class - you get a seat and that's about it. This is the only way airlines can stay in business.

It's a personal choice in how to spend money. You can consider it an expense or an investment. If I need good quality stuff, I will pay a premium for it but expect it to last for years (10+).

Indeed... I genuinely don't mind spending extra for quality, but not that much extra. For $700, I expect the shirt to stop a bullet lol
No need to spend $700 on a shirt. There is quality and there is brand. A good shirt can be had for <$300. Anything more and you are paying for the logo/brand.

Speaking of shirts, I have been wearing Ralph Lauren since I was a child. Never had an issue. Some brands will always get my money. Roots used to really be good. Not as good now but still solid. Have hoodies that are 20 years old.

I believe coach and Michael Kors have lifetime warranties as well. You can take back purses. MEC fixed a coat of mine for free. This was before they went to shit though.

Canada Goose...never had a problem. I’d be weary of the other luxury winter coat brands. A lot of them are cheap crap. Nobis is OK but their warranty sucks and the material pills. I get deals on nobis and still buy CG at full price. Buy brands that focus more on quality and function than actual style. Eddie Bauer clothes aren’t stylish but relatively good quality and solid warranty.

Clothing is all over the map when it comes to quality. Hign-end doesn't always mean quality. I have had excellent luck with Ralph Lauren, Strauss, Victorinox, Zegna, Bugatti, Etro, Varvatos. And for sunglasses, Ray-Ban's with scratch-resistant. lenses, they will last 10 years or more if you take care of them.

I had bad luck with Cole Haan, the shoes are expensive and garbage quality. The shoes didn't last a year. I got about 6 months out of them. $300 black Hugo Boss pants didn't last long, I got a cheap pair from Mark's that have held up better! Not a fan of Boss suits either. My Gucci belt broke after a few months of wearing it, they replaced it at the store. but still should have lasted longer than that. I barely wore it!!

Dolce & Gabbana and Gucci have some pretty crazy prices. I have seen $1200 T shirts at Gucci, $20,000 coat at Alexander McQueen. That really ugly D&G coat Melania Trump wore, sells for $68,000. You're paying for the name, these brands cater to the wealthy fashionista's like the Kanye West/ Kardashian types, who will only wear the clothing for a season or two, then buy an entire new wardrobe.

Clothing is all over the map when it comes to quality. Hign-end doesn't always mean quality. I have had excellent luck with Ralph Lauren, Strauss, Victorinox, Zegna, Bugatti, Etro, Varvatos. And for sunglasses, Ray-Ban's with scratch-resistant. lenses, they will last 10 years or more if you take care of them.

I had bad luck with Cole Haan, the shoes are expensive and garbage quality. The shoes didn't last a year. I got about 6 months out of them. $300 black Hugo Boss pants didn't last long, I got a cheap pair from Mark's that have held up better! Not a fan of Boss suits either. My Gucci belt broke after a few months of wearing it, they replaced it at the store. but still should have lasted longer than that. I barely wore it!!.

I had a similar experience with Boss. I had a shirt that literally fell apart, and the buttons on a coat fell off the first season it was worn. Ralph Lauren is ok but I always try their shirts on first - I once bought one whose sleeves were ridiculously short for the size. Zegna is good, Strellson, Etro - I had a Valentino suit that I really loved. Ferragamo has great belts (I once bought one at Harry Rosen and they pretended to having cut it to my size but I had to do it myself later - obviously, they just didn't want me to be able to return the belt! That was a rather questionable practice...). But in general, I find that quality has been dropping for years. Cole Haan is a good example; what they were making in the early 1990s was much better than the crap they sell now.

Back