News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 390     0 

lost Toronto in colour--late 40's-early 70's

When we were at art school, my friend Beni Sung ( a jewellery designer who later worked for Secrett and eventually had his own boutique in Creeds at the Manulife Centre ) rented a room in a tiny house just to the north of A. Stork. The squawking of chickens woke us in the early morning - they were either killing them or delivering more to be slaughtered. The pungent smell of chicken shit and the little twisters of feathers blowing around in the breeze added even more charm.

Yup, those were the days, all right
VICE_logo.jpg

When we were at art school, my friend Beni Sung ( a jewellery designer who later worked for Secrett and eventually had his own boutique in Creeds at the Manulife Centre ) rented a room in a tiny house just to the north of A. Stork. The squawking of chickens woke us in the early morning - they were either killing them or delivering more to be slaughtered. The pungent smell of chicken shit and the little twisters of feathers blowing around in the breeze added even more charm.

once in a while a fowl or two would escape from their crates and go running madly down the lane onto Queen St, dodging punks...

Great shot there of York street, TKTKTK.. Globe building on the right, Lord Simcoe on the left.

Like Urban Shocker, I was in the crowd too that day.

I was there when it "arrived" at University and Queen, though there's no photographic evidence in those shots.

Really? That's fun! I like that the house seems to crowd surf across Toronto, as if you guys had hoisted it on your shoulder for a victory lap before setting it down in its new spot.

We should form an official UT reception line to greet the bowling club house when it arrives at Broadview and Langley later this year.

look at how clean and legible the gardiner and DVP signs are.

That's because the buildings were more assertive and declarative in their
design. Today, we have buildings that are just walls with windows and
it's hard to tell one from another.

Some photos of Toronto from the mid 1970s posted to flickr by a Robert Taylor. Kudos to Skeezix for finding these, I noticed him uploading some of them to Wikipedia.

3792280215_05cc2f6a3f.jpg

3805311698_d620df9cac.jpg

3805281964_1e7a959106.jpg

3758943893_a3ed40c556.jpg

3849251545_632678d5b8.jpg

3774149390_d099a3fe54.jpg

800px-CN_train_in_1975.jpg

Back