News   Aug 30, 2024
 2.8K     2 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 2.7K     0 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 634     0 

Loggia Condos (Queensway & Islington, Brandylane, 2x 10s, SMV Architects) COMPLETE

yyzer

Member Bio
Reaction score
Couldn't find a thread for these, currently looking good at the corner of Queensway and Islington, on the site of what used to be a car dealership....pretty sleek design for this part of Etobicoke...

logg01.jpg

nice clean detailing...
logg02.jpg

there are two buildings, joined by an elevated walkway...the easternmost building appears already occupied...

logg03.jpg

The sun was going in and out of the clouds...

logg04.jpg

westernmost building, still u/c..looks like there will be street level retail at both buildings

logg05.jpg

fixed!

yyzer,

Some of your images were so crisp I almost mistook them for renderings - but with better looking rendercars.

There are supposed to be more developments of this scale along the Queensway, all in an effort to make the stretch a little more urban.

I've been wondering about these ones after seeing them regularly from the Gardiner. They look great and very avenues-like. Seeing these pics, it's sad to see the ground level is disappointing. The overhang makes the retail space look really unappealing. I'd love to see the city develop some design standards for ground retail.

Yeah, the overhangs are unfortunate. Better than having retail behind columns like on Bay, but still hides them from the street.

Otherwise, a crisp, decent, yet simple building well suited for roads like Queensway.

Wait, so the rendering showed green glass and the building ended up with some blueish/clear colour glass? I thought it usually happened in the reverse order.

I've been past this development several times while entering or leaving the city. Thanks so much for posting the photos.

My main complaint is about those random circle windows on it at the base, and the retail looking uninviting.

The Queensway is slowly going to urbanize though, you can see it start to happen.

I think that a good idea for avenues would be to replace the existing strip mall parking lots with diagonal parking spaces on the street. With the parking lots eliminated, it would be easy to fit them, and they would replace some of the parking that seems to be needed for shops to be successful. Look at the base of this building. Queensway is lined with retail, but it doesn't seem to be able to support much.

...and unfortunately, all too much of what it *does* support seems to support some form of the House of Lancaster crowd--clients, workers, whatever...

This is a very nice development for the area. Unfortunately, right across the street is a massive parking lot to service the movie theatre that popped up there a while back.

There will be no retail under the overhangs - that area has ground level townhomes. The retail is at the outside ends of the buildings where the shops come forward to the balcony walls above them. It's most easily seen in the rendering Ed posted above.

Unfortunately, right across the street is a massive parking lot to service the movie theatre that popped up there a while back.

Never mind the parking lot on the south side... The 50 or so TOWNHOUSES on the south-east side of Islington/Queensway intersection is what makes me REALLY (and I mean really) mad every time i drive by... Whoever designed them is really smoking something and whoever approved them.... well .. will try to take some pics (or if someone has recent pls post) to show you what i mean...!

Back