255     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 240     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 281     0 

Loblaws

Loblaws plans major growth in Ontario

Loblaw plans to open 30 new stores and upgrade more than 500 others
BRAMPTON— Loblaw said Thursday that it plans to open 30 new stores and renovate more than 500 existing stores as it continues to adapt to changes in the food retail sector.

The grocery and pharmacy giant said the investment includes the continued roll out of its Click & Collect e-commerce, improved health and wellness services, and the inclusion of fresh food at select Shoppers Drug Mart locations.

Loblaw (TSX:L) said the moves will invest about $1.3 billion into the economy and create an estimated 10,000 retail, trade and construction jobs.

Thursday's announcement comes almost exactly a year since Loblaw said it planned to build 50 new stores and renovate 150 others as part of a $1.3 billion revamp and expansion.

Loblaw made a similar announcement in 2015, when it said it would build 50 new stores and improve more than 100 others.

The company later said it would shutter 52 locations across Canada that had fallen short of expectations.

Loblaws plans major growth in Ontario

Loblaw plans to open 30 new stores and upgrade more than 500 others
BRAMPTON— Loblaw said Thursday that it plans to open 30 new stores and renovate more than 500 existing stores as it continues to adapt to changes in the food retail sector.

The grocery and pharmacy giant said the investment includes the continued roll out of its Click & Collect e-commerce, improved health and wellness services, and the inclusion of fresh food at select Shoppers Drug Mart locations.

Loblaw (TSX:L) said the moves will invest about $1.3 billion into the economy and create an estimated 10,000 retail, trade and construction jobs.

Thursday's announcement comes almost exactly a year since Loblaw said it planned to build 50 new stores and renovate 150 others as part of a $1.3 billion revamp and expansion.

Loblaw made a similar announcement in 2015, when it said it would build 50 new stores and improve more than 100 others.

The company later said it would shutter 52 locations across Canada that had fallen short of expectations.

I always wonder, w/the seemingly perennial nature of these types of announcements from Loblaws, how some of its eyesore stores manage to escape the wrecking ball.....

Danforth/Broadview anyone?

Or that dilapidated store just off Bloor/Dundas/Roncy?

I think the Danforth/Broadview store has been mentioned in the past here on these forums. Someone said the Westons also own some of the adjacent properties. Presumably waiting for the right time for a redevelopment overlooking the Don Valley, with a brand new Loblaws store at the base. In the meantime, that store seems very busy.

I think the Danforth/Broadview store has been mentioned in the past here on these forums. Someone said the Westons also own some of the adjacent properties. Presumably waiting for the right time for a redevelopment overlooking the Don Valley, with a brand new Loblaws store at the base. In the meantime, that store seems very busy.

It's a large site and does seem ripe for development.

I have also wondered when we're going to see some movement at Bloor and Dundas. That is a huge and tragically underused site, with incredible redevelopment potential. The Loblaws there is a dump, the former Zellers has been vacant since 2013, and there are acres of perpetually empty surface parking, all within a five minute walk of a major transit node. I believe Loblaws owns the whole site, so I wonder what they're waiting for.

My dream (which I know is just a pipe dream) is for a land swap with the TCDSB to move Bishop Marrocco/Thomas Merton to the interior of the site, unlocking the prime land at the corner for something truly urban and allowing for some permeability on the Bloor side to connect to the RER and subway stations. Also, a pedestrian bridge over the rail corridor to connect to the new park, museum, and residential developments on Sterling. And a pony.

I find it odd that some are criticizing Loblaws for doing "something" right. They would have been criticized if they didn't, but they still get criticized for acknowledging there was a problem.
Doing “something right” would be releasing all evidence of collusion and terminating or at least announcing if not handing over to police the executives responsible.

Last edited:
Not to mention that a $25 gift card doesn't come even close to touching the amount of tainted profit they made from the scheme. I can only hope there is investigations ongoing that will end up with someone being penalized (although knowing the way these things work, even if those responsible are fired they'll probably make off with large severance pay, bonuses, pensions, etc. etc.)

Loblaw piloting "one-way lane" traffic for customers in select stores

Daily Hive Staff | Apr 2 2020, 1:47 pm

Loblaw, which runs Loblaws, Shoppers Drug Mart, Real Canadian Superstore, and more, is piloting one-way customer traffic in some stores.

This new measure, which sees customers move through select locations in one direction, with no backtracking, is one of the many ways the company is responding to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Further, some stores have been asking customers to refrain from bringing their own reusable bags, as the sanitization of each individuals bags cannot be guaranteed.

To help make this adjustment easier on shoppers, the fee for paper or plastic bags has been temporarily waived.

Loblaw piloting "one-way lane" traffic for customers in select stores

Daily Hive Staff | Apr 2 2020, 1:47 pm

Loblaw, which runs Loblaws, Shoppers Drug Mart, Real Canadian Superstore, and more, is piloting one-way customer traffic in some stores.

This new measure, which sees customers move through select locations in one direction, with no backtracking, is one of the many ways the company is responding to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Further, some stores have been asking customers to refrain from bringing their own reusable bags, as the sanitization of each individuals bags cannot be guaranteed.

To help make this adjustment easier on shoppers, the fee for paper or plastic bags has been temporarily waived.

I went to s Loblaws today and saw it. Unfortunately too many foreigners don't understand social distancing, i don't think they have been reading the news about the pandemic. They show up to the store with their entire families and completely ignore the rules. The store has arrows posted telling what direction to go, and yet I had to yell at them going the wrong why down the aisle, they didn't seem to care. I think they should have police in the stores making sure people follow the rules.

Loblaws getting some Easter egg on their face:

Toronto Loblaws mistakenly left open on Easter Sunday leads to customers stealing groceries

Loblaws getting some Easter egg on their face:

Toronto Loblaws mistakenly left open on Easter Sunday leads to customers stealing groceries

If one look at this Twitter thread about this incident; It raises the question of why people removing goods from the store w/o paying at the time are called 'customers' and not 'thieves'. The issue is raised about whether this is a function of the area 'Forest Hill' or related to the 'customers' not being black.

I tend to have a distaste for alleging racism w/o foundation; but I confess, I find it hard to believe the wording would be the same if goods had been walked out of a 'closed' supermarket at Jane/Finch.

Back