News   Jul 05, 2024
 3K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 2K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 701     0 

Licensing Bicycle riders

There was a family on bikes. Parents and 3 children or so biking across spadina west side passing the on ramp. I find it rather dangerous since there were several cars coming down. Not sure if they planned to turn on the ramp or go straight, but it seems reckless. Adults fine. But having the kids cycle across is dangerous. They're endangering their kids if the cars don't slow down.

That part of Spadina will cause an accident sooner or later. A lot of people jay walk across the road leading to the on ramp.

License the bicycle. not the rider

A drivers licence assures that at one time the holder understood and obeyed the laws of the road, licensing a bicyclist would do the same.

The licence holder may or may not continue to respect the law, in either case however the car driver is often held to account by the plate on his car not by the piece of paper in his pocket. Bicycles should be required to carry plates just like cars for the same reason.

Not fair you say, how about red light cameras or parking tickets both of which result in tickets being issued to the owner of the vehicle, not the driver. Be very careful about lending your bike to friends.

Imagine a camera at every intersection taking a portrait of scofflaws and issuing tickets.

So far in this thread, everyone has assumed that all cyclists do not have license. But is that actually true?

I don't care what excuses they come up with. It's another potential cash grab.

Making people get bike licenses?!? Yeah right! LOL!

^^^

I agree. Licencsing bike riders would be impractical, and would appear to be somewhat of a cash grab.
If they could somehow channel the money into bike lane improvements, then it might be more plausible.

Bicyclist would need to see tangible results for the money being spent on bike licensing.
Simple bike lane improvements, like painted lanes (i.e. yellow, blue...) would be an excellent start.

^^ A significant amount of money could be gotten by actually fining bad bicyclists, which should then be spent on bicycle infrastructure improvements like bike lanes.

^^^

I agree. Licencsing bike riders would be impractical, and would appear to be somewhat of a cash grab.
If they could somehow channel the money into bike lane improvements, then it might be more plausible.

Bicyclist would need to see tangible results for the money being spent on bike licensing.
Simple bike lane improvements, like painted lanes (i.e. yellow, blue...) would be an excellent start.

From the Toronto Bike Plan (June, 2001) which, unfortunately, is running a couple of years behind.

"Toronto already has some 166 kilometres of bikeways throughout the City (see Figure 2.1)."

"Complete the Bikeway Network in 10 years
A key element of the Toronto Bicycle Plan is the completion of the bikeway network, shown in Figure 5.1, by 2011. The proposed network will comprise approximately 1,000 kilometres of bikeways, consisting of:

· 495 kilometres of bike lanes;
· 249 kilometres of off-road paths; and
· 260 kilometres of signed routes."

Source

Full Bike Plan Report (21 MB, .pdf) (Well worth a read)

I just read this. Who knew?

Cyclists entitled to whole lane, bicycle cop says

Source

To those who oppose or are upset about bicycle lanes being painted on roadways, remember the above headline Cyclists entitled to whole lane. For example, Royal York Road was single lane before and after the bicycle lanes were painted. Therefore, before the lanes, bicycles could legally use up the entire lane of traffic. You would have had to crawl along behind them.

They painted the bicycle lanes just for those motorists. You don't have to be upset with bicyclists using up the whole lane. Now you can pass the slower bicycles, in your hurry to get to the next traffic light.

Except, you will now just crawl along behind grandma, who driving along slowly, looking for a house number.

Painted Bike Lanes & Licensing

In advocating for painted bike lanes - I hope the city means the entire bike lane is painted...

http://www.bikingtoronto.com/uploaded_images/Strachan+bike+010_1-765919.jpg
http://ispynyc.wordpress.com/2009/05/22/new-bike-lane-on-christopher-street-new-york-city/
http://www.sightline.org/images/blog-2007/Copenhgn-blue-bk-ln-350w.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3184/2998316287_3319112356.jpg
http://www.brownstoner.com/brownstoner/archives/2007/07/lime_green_bike.php

Also - it might be easier to regulate bike licenses for people using such painted lanes.
Clear demarcation might help both bicyclists and motorists follow rules of the road more consistently.

Licensing bicycles makes about as much sense as licensing running shoes. It's so impractical, pointless and downright silly that it could never happen in the real world. The answer is a more bike friendly cycling environment which means actual infrastructure devoted exclusively to bikes--just as cars and pedestrians have.

Sorry motorists, but throwing repressive, nanny state measures at cyclists with the ultimate intention of reducing their presence to such a degree that the problem magically disappears is not the solution. So please stop dreaming about it and try to think of some practical solutions to bring to the debate.

Sorry motorists, but throwing repressive, nanny state measures at cyclists with the ultimate intention of reducing their presence to such a degree that the problem magically disappears is not the solution.
What do motorists have to do with it? Almost all of my complaints about cyclists have been made as a pedestrian!

In advocating for painted bike lanes - I hope the city means the entire bike lane is painted...
Ehh, I don't think it matters so much. On bigger roads, a solid line might be needed to remind motorists that this is a lane for bikers, but slower roads don't need it IMO.

What I really get hyped up about is real bike paths. If built right, these are the highways of biking and can get you going very fast. As such, they need to be placed strategically like highways. Places where they connect well with other routes, opens up new, fast corridors for travel, and that will relieve other corridors. Routes like the Finch Hydro Corridor, Waterfront Trail, and RailPath are all good examples.

That said, they have a lot more potential to be public spaces than highways do. But I took a ride on railpath to test it out, and there were dog walkers and even little kids blocking my way. I could run faster than the speed I was going at. It can be a public space or a big linear park, but it needs to be clear that this is supposed to be a demi-highway and not a park with a piece of asphalt running through the middle. Maybe even some partial separation is the answer. If they want to make it park-ey, they could put in some nice painted metal fences, or some similar thing that would keep it aesthetically nice, but not intrude on the speed of the path.

You are so right! OMG I'll never forget the day I had half my leg ripped open by a pair of Nikes that took off from their owner and ran down the street uncontrollably. It was awful! You wouldn't believe the "tongue" lashing I took from those freakin shoes when they opened their laces and said I was in the wrong.
Hey, if you think that, you should see me freerun when I'm in a hurry. I may not be nearly as inconsiderate as some bikers, but I think if I ran into you, you'd need some help up.

Anyways, why don't we license Skateboards, or Scooters, or Roller Blades, or Heelys? There comes a point when it stops making sense. In this case (biking) it's the point that the good of not licensing vastly outweighs the bad (most of which can be negated by enforcement of bad bikers.)

They were when I was a kid and they can be now. Use the road....pay for the road.
When my grandfather was a kid, first nations children were sent to schools where they were assimilated into Western culture. Live in Canada, act like other Canadians.

They were when I was a kid and they can be now. Use the road....pay for the road. Simple as that. Licensing isn't just about being accountable for what you do wrong. Everything is pay as you use. Cyclists should contribute.
As should walkers contribute to their use of the sidewalk. Seriously, how much wear do you think gets put on our sidewalks by pedestrians? How much do you think it costs to replace and build new sidewalks? That's a lot of money!

And do you honestly think that licensing pays for a significant portion of our roads? I'm thinking that it just pays for the amount of money needed to provide the licensing service, which is there because it's really needed.

Could you imagine Ontario where a 10 year old could hop into a car and drive it around? Now what about bikes? Six year olds are encouraged to learn how to ride a bike, and many people are at least adequate at doing so by the age of 10. Obviously, they're much easier to use and much safer than a car.

As I said, these deaths are tragic, but are completely random and isolated incidents, and happen just as often as a person falling down the stairs. They are preventable, but licensing won't do anywhere near as much as something as simple as cracking down on bad cyclists. And once you crack down on bad cyclists, the gain from licensing will be almost unnoticeable.
And licensing will be a massive determent for people who might take up cycling in any way (whether it be recreational, commuting, or as a true transportation purpose.) It'll also put an immense amount of pressure and inconvenience to people who currently use bikes as their only option.

It should be obvious that the cons far, far, far outweigh the benefits. And considering the benefits can easily be replicated by cracking down on those bad cyclists with no cons and a hugely increased revenue, I wonder why people are even putting it up as an option.

Back