News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 441     0 

Letters to the Toronto Sun

Does that involve only the presses? (cf. the Star's printing plant in Vaughan)

what?

How many torontonians actually consider themselves to be Canada's New York? This is a branding Toronto is given by the rest of Canada.

if this article is any indication, the quality of journalism in edmonton really reflects poorly on the people who live there...

is toronto new york? god no. it's only about 100 years younger. but can I see a play or musical in toronto? sure can. major sporting events? yup. concerts big and small? uh huh. wanna pay massive amounts of money on bottle service and stand around in a dark room with obnoxiously loud music hoping to get laid? sure can. what about restaurants and coffee shops and streets loaded with retail worth more than small third world countries? that would be a yes.

basically, if I'm going to do the 'city' thing, why on god's green earth would I go to new york to spend my money when I can pretty much do the same thing here?

now give me mountains or beaches or history going back thousands of years - and yeah, I'll be the first one on the plane there.

Of course, living in and visiting a city are two different things. So, somebody saw Cats on Broadway and walked through Barney's and now they're enamoured with the Big Apple.

Would said Sun contributor be willing to have Craigslist strangers pay them $500 a month to share their bed so they can make the rent for a $1,400/month 350 sq. ft. irregularly-shaped studio on the Lower East Side?

Despite the stereotype of rude New Yorkers, I found them far friendlier than the average Torontonian.

That's a sign of superiority in itself, since it truly is the people who make a city great -- and New York's got that all over Toronto too.

Zzzzzzzzzzz...

Yes, Donald Trump is so much nicer and more respectable than Galen Weston.

(From today's Sun)

Undermining T.O.

If I didn't know better, I would think the Sun has a fiendish plot to undermine and demoralize the self esteem of the citizens of Toronto, after reading Kerry Diotte's June 27 column about how Toronto can't hold a candle to New York (and he is from where?) and then Lorrie Goldstein's June 28 attempt of a humorous rebuttal. I suggest both Kerry and Lorrie get their passports in order and re-locate to the Big Apple and leave the rest of us to enjoy our city of choice. Add to this, the on-going whining of Sue-Ann Levy, who has a good mud-slinging arm but little by way of original, constructive thinking, and we may as well all move to Edmonton ... except we would still have to read the Sun and hang out with Kerry.

Peter Francey

(We knew we'd find someone who likes Toronto. Happy to have you!)

And responses to the original "slagging Toronto" article from the Edmonton Sun.

Re: Kerry Diotte's slagging of Toronto compared to New York. I was born and raised in the great city of Montreal, came to Toronto 24 years ago and enjoy raising my family here. I have spent a lot of time in B.C. and other cities in Canada, including Edmonton. Jasper and Banff are exquisite. Nova Scotia is a real treasure. Every destination one travels to should be appreciated in its own right for what it has to offer.

John den Ouden

(Sure, except for grimy ol' centre-of-the-universe Hogtown.)

-------------------------------------------
Re: The article by Kerry Diotte comparing Toronto to New York. It's good that a true Edmontonian points out Toronto is worse than New York City. I've been to Toronto, Kerry, and you are so right about how bad people are and how dirty the city is.

P. Ashby

(Hogtown could use a thorough cleansing.)

I've lived most of my life in Toronto and I've never heard of anyone comparing it to the Big Apple. Torontonians have an inferiority complex about their town. They know Hogtown is a cowtown with good theatre - a horribly provincial burg that couldn't produce a good bagel to save its life. How does Edmonton (a town I love) stack up against the Big Apple? Edmonton doesn't have the gall to compare itself to New York. Well, except for that one guy your columnist overheard, neither does Toronto.

Mark Umland

(Hogtown a cowtown? Calgary will be jealous.)

Re: Kerry Diotte column, Big Apple beats Hogtown. I have lived in New York and Toronto and I totally agree with Kerry. I found Toronto to be very boring and the people were arrogant and insecure. I love New Yorkers. In three years there I never saw any crime and was never mugged or threatened. I saw much more crime in Toronto. Also, New York was much cleaner than Toronto.

Scott MacKenzie

(New York's the Big Apple of your eye.)

Re: Kerry Diotte column, Big Apple beats Hogtown. I have lived in New York and Toronto and I totally agree with Kerry. I found Toronto to be very boring and the people were arrogant and insecure. I love New Yorkers. In three years there I never saw any crime and was never mugged or threatened. I saw much more crime in Toronto. Also, New York was much cleaner than Toronto.

Scott MacKenzie

(New York's the Big Apple of your eye.)
Funny; his name is Scott MacKenzie, and there's no mention of San Francisco...
http://www.nonstick.com/sounds/FX/ltfx_067.wav

I saw much more crime in Toronto

Funny that, but I don't know how many years I have wandered around Toronto at night; but I have never seen a mugging or a robbery like this guy has seen.

Then again, I just spent some time in Philadelphia, which had over 400 murders last year. I didn't see one (not that I'm complaining).

Opinions of cities are subjective, of course, and experiences vary, but this...

"New York was much cleaner than Toronto"

...is not an opinion - it is a lie, full stop.

The young Dubliner who got off the 506 at the same Riverdale stop as me the other night said Toronto is safer than his hometown. Clubland has made quite an impression - he goes there to meet what he called 'frat guys' and party. Next summer he's visiting the States, though, because it is cheaper.

Back