News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 438     0 

Letters to the Toronto Sun

^^ Ha ha! I remember back in the old days of skyscraperpage there was this forumer from Chatham or somewhere who was so pathologically obsessed with Toronto hatred that he had to go see a shrink. Old timers might remember his name.

True story!

I think his name was/is Jaybird...although there was another like him.

Apparently he went to therapy and is more accepting of Toronto now.

Having to go to see a therapist over hatred of Toronto. That
would make for a very interesting case study. I believe research on this topic will have national implications.

AoD

Apparently he went to therapy and is more accepting of Toronto now.

I always wondered if this was a true story... it's just too bizarre.

Cartoon1.JPG

Having to go to see a therapist over hatred of Toronto.

Wasn't there the case of the guy who came to Toronto to kill people, but then met a friendly doggy and changed his mind?

Man, it's been a long time since I've had anything to add to this thread. I almost suspect that a Sun editor reads this forum and clued in that printing illogical condemnations of the entire city was pretty illogical in itself.

But, bringing it all back from the dead is this article (not letter) from today's Sun which just seemed to be a listing of stereotypes that could have been written without travelling anywhere.

------------------

NYC beats T.O. anytime

By KERRY DIOTTE, OTTAWA SUN
(Interestingly, the print edition said he was an editor from the Edmonton Sun)

I just returned from a vacation split between Toronto and New York City.

Curiously, Torontonians like to think their burg is Canada's version of New York. I overheard that very sentiment last week in T.O. while kicking back on a sliver of an outdoor restaurant patio on a busy street.

"Yes, Toronto's amazing," one man enthused to another. "We're basically the New York City of Canada. There's so much going on here. It's incredible."

Well, having just spent five days in both T.O. and the Big Apple, I'd say Toronto, as a city, couldn't carry New York's jockstrap. Compared to New York, Toronto feels about as big-city-like as Saskatoon.

Hogtowners who believe they're at the centre of the universe need a dose of reality.

Granted, Toronto is big, busy and there are plenty of things to do. While I was there, the Blue Jays were on a homestand. There was a small blues festival in the Annex area and a decent soiree in Little Italy. By contrast, New York was jumping. There's an indescribable energy to the city, particularly in its best known borough, Manhattan, the most densely populated place in the U.S., where 30,000 residents share each square kilometre.

Sure, it can cost $14 for a half hour of parking, but most people don't drive. They use one of the best transit systems in the world. While Toronto's subway system is extensive, it can't hold a candle to New York's.

As for entertainment, there were dozens of Broadway and off-Broadway plays, countless high-calibre live musical acts ranging from k.d. lang and Lyle Lovett at Radio City Music Hall, to B.B. King at a blues bar.

There are a host of cool sites in Toronto, including the CN Tower, St. Lawrence Market, the Hockey Hall of Fame and Ontario Place, among others.

New York, though, is mind-numbing when it comes to world-famous sites, stores and attractions.

SO MUCH POPULAR CULTURE

In just one day of walking in Manhattan, I eyeballed Saks Fifth Avenue, Macy's, Madison Square Gardens, the Empire State Building, Times Square, the Trump International Hotel Tower, St. Patrick's Cathedral and Central Park. That's the incredible thing. New York's attractions are embedded in all of us through popular culture. Turn one corner and you're at Grand Central station. Turn another and you're outside the David Letterman Show.

Sure, Toronto's called Hollywood North. The difference is movies are shot there and then passed off as being scenes from New York. So, Toronto gets to be a stand-in for the Big Apple -- which is fitting since T.O. is clearly the inferior burg with a strange superiority complex.

If I was doing this column as a Letterman-style Top-10 list, I'd rank the character of New Yorkers as the No. 1 reason why that town has it all over Hogtown.

Despite the stereotype of rude New Yorkers, I found them far friendlier than the average Torontonian.

That's a sign of superiority in itself, since it truly is the people who make a city great -- and New York's got that all over Toronto too.

Yeah, the fact that the writer wasted so much effort crayoning out the obvious (with considerable cynicism ans smarminess) is pathetic.

Do you get the feeling someone hates a certain city?

Walkign by Saks Fifth Avenue qualifies as a major tourist draw for him?

The article is terrible. I can't see how simply glancing all the things he's listed is impressive - is it really that surprising that a real life location you saw on TV is actually there?

If that's the kind of thing that impresses him then there's very few places in the world he'll be impressed with.

A quick look confirms that he is from Edmonton (quelle suprise!).

Here's his blog featuring responses to his self-described "column slagging City of Toronto".

Here's a Sun-like letter he received from someone from Vancouver, mentioned in his blog:

"I loved your article on New York vs. Toronto. Being from Vancouver (which also claims to be Hollywood North), there has always been a regional rivalry with the 'Centre of the Universe.' However, you would be hard-pressed to find Vancouver residents telling visitors that we are basically Canada's Los Angeles. We seem to be comfortable with our local identity.

For years, when visitors from outside of Canada have asked me whether Toronto is like New York, I have always responded, "Not really. It's more like Cleveland, Ohio."

Sure sounds like he's comfortable with his local identity...

Obviously this person has some sort of jealousy towards Toronto. A person enjoys reading a slagging of Toronto, mentions 'Centre of the Universe', and tells people that Toronto is like Cleveland. Oh, the poor tormented souls in the rest of Canada that can't accept Toronto for being Toronto.

The Sun's Editor Lorrie Goldstein writes a "witty" retort "defending" his city in today's paper.

Ah, the joys of this city and its local tabloid. When another city's paper "slags" your city you complain about it then join right in.

In other Sun news, their presses are going to be vacating King St E in a few month's time. The paper will be printed somewhere in the Islington & 401 area instead. I'm guessing Quebecor is getting ready to sell (at least part of) the site to a developer.

Back