News   Apr 24, 2024
 987     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 631     0 

Leslieville / Studio District

The edges of BIA areas are established for reasons that often have nothing whatsoever to do with commonly-understood neighbourhood boundaries. The reasons are usually financial and political.

When I moved to Toronto in 1985, there was Riverdale (north of Gerrard, east of Pape) and South Riverdale. "East Riverdale" (as far as Greenwood) began to creep in for east of Pape once the housing market heated up. Everything else was no man's land. I am not sure when Riverside and Leslieville were concocted as names but those sure did not exist in the 80s.

Riverside was in use as the portion from Broadview to Carlaw when my wife had her store on that stretch ten years ago. Leslieville predates that by a while. Because Leslieville was tonier, it has crept west from its Jones to Leslie epicentre for years, with each real estate agent's claims.

Is this on the site where the walmart was being planned?

http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2013.TE28.40

Summary
This application proposes redevelopment of the property located at 629, 633 and 675 Eastern Avenue. The proposal is to maintain approximately 16,535 square metres of existing space for film studio and production purposes and to construct approximately 75,630 square metres of new office/flex space, 7,290 square metres of hotel space, and 14,060 square metres of retail space. The total gross floor area proposed is 113,520 square metres. The applicant's concept plan identifies 15 existing and new buildings proposed on the site.

This report provides preliminary information on the above-noted application and seeks Community Council's directions on further processing of the applications and on the community consultation process.

A community consultation meeting is targeted for the fall of 2013 or winter 2014, with a Final Report and Statutory Public meeting anticipated for the second quarter of 2014. The target dates assume that applicant will provide all required information in a timely manner.

Yes, it's the same site.

Funny thing. Thanks to a century of heavy metal contamination the powers that be figured it's best not to build residential there. However, work is fine - even though film work tends to involve long days (anywhere between 10 and 16 hours, depending on your position and the nature of the gig)... plenty long enough to be exposed to some nasty stuff. And they permit retail, too - presumably the big box, 24/7 kind. Lucky retail workers! Seems rather arbitrary to me, this distinction between living there and working there and what's considered acceptable risk in terms of exposure to soil-based toxins.

My own theory is that the existing film component will wither and die on this site, owing to innate incompatibilities with other proposed activities. I hope I'm wrong on that score, but the expansion of Pinewood, the huge facility at 777 Kipling (plus other Etobicoke production facilities occupying former industrial lands/buildings) and the growing importance of Hamilton (especially for period location shooting) are all factors which render 629 Eastern less vital than it once was.

The rumour we heard when we attended the last round of meetings involved a large Sobey's. I don't know of any other large anchor retail at this point. It's still a moving target.

In any case, I welcome some changes to this largely fallow chunk of real estate. It's nice to see 629 Eastern come alive again with film and television production.

Funny thing. Thanks to a century of heavy metal contamination the powers that be figured it's best not to build residential there. However, work is fine - even though film work tends to involve long days (anywhere between 10 and 16 hours, depending on your position and the nature of the gig)... plenty long enough to be exposed to some nasty stuff. And they permit retail, too - presumably the big box, 24/7 kind. Lucky retail workers! Seems rather arbitrary to me, this distinction between living there and working there and what's considered acceptable risk in terms of exposure to soil-based toxins.

They still need to mitigate against the soil contaminants. It's not as if developers have free rein with non-residential uses. The theory behind provincial guidelines treating some non-residential uses differently than sensitive land uses such as residential uses is due to the fact that people at work are less likely to have their children with them playing and rolling around on the grass on a constant basis (as compared to a back yard) and people at work are unlikely to be digging around in the soil the way they do at home (gardening, etc.). And while office and retail workers might be spending long days at their places of work, people with greater sensitivities (children, seniors) tend not to spend long hours at such workplaces. In any event, that's the theory. It is, as you point out, arbitrary and subjective, but most environmental regulations are.

They still need to mitigate against the soil contaminants. It's not as if developers have free rein with non-residential uses. The theory behind provincial guidelines treating some non-residential uses differently than sensitive land uses such as residential uses is due to the fact that people at work are less likely to have their children with them playing and rolling around on the grass on a constant basis (as compared to a back yard) and people at work are unlikely to be digging around in the soil the way they do at home (gardening, etc.). And while office and retail workers might be spending long days at their places of work, people with greater sensitivities (children, seniors) tend not to spend long hours at such workplaces. In any event, that's the theory. It is, as you point out, arbitrary and subjective, but most environmental regulations are.

Good points though, and ones I hadn't thought of. Unfortunately, kids still make an appearance as actors and extras. But no, they won't likely be digging up the lot.

Blackout Lounge Bar & Cafe is opening at Carlaw & Dundas in Flatiron Lofts. http://www.blackoutlounge.com/

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Inspection

TORONTO ON M4M 1S2

Ward 30: Toronto-Danforth

Application#: 13 263977 BLD 00 BA Issued Date: Jan 22, 2014

Project: Other Interior Alterations

Description: Proposal for a restaurant cafe use in unit #E-101 (occupant load 28 persons w/ 2 employees). Tenant: Black Out Cafe and Lounge.

Small stores like Regal are just too small to compete in the hardware business; they're fine if you want to buy individual nails, but what about bags of concrete, lumber, flooring, paint, appliances, and so on? Real pros have their own specialty stores and DIY'ers like the wide product selection at big boxes, so the small independents are left selling odds and ends.

This made me determined this year to buy at least half of my rakes, garden gloves, bags, hoses, etc. at my local Home Hardware rather than Home Depot.
Ditto. And what about the occasional small appliance. Sure, I could save $10 if I get the car out, and drive to Home Depot, and wander around for 30 minutes, rather than the 5 minutes in Home Hardware. Even got my lawn mower there ... of course my lawn is about the size of my living room ...

intersection closure and 501 streetcar diversion due to the Leslie Barns for a few weeks coming up

the TTC has to install new tracks at Queen and Leslie streets, which will result in an extended closure of the intersection this spring. Between May 11 and June 21 (assuming everything goes according to plan) the corner that's home to The Duke and The Nose will only be passable if you're on foot or bike.

Heading east, the 501 car will divert to Gerrard St. via Broadview before returning south on Coxwell.

http://www.blogto.com/city/2014/04/ttc_construction_forces_long_closure_of_queen_leslie/

Back