News   May 03, 2024
 808     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 517     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 252     0 

Leslieville / Studio District

Seems there's some disagreement about the neighbourhood's borders. I dunno. I tend to think it's encompasssed by Carlaw on the west, Coxwell on the east, Dundas on the north and Lakeshore on the south. But I'm not usually hard and fast about such things.

Seems there's some disagreement about the neighbourhood's borders. I dunno. I tend to think it's encompasssed by Carlaw on the west, Coxwell on the east, Dundas on the north and Lakeshore on the south. But I'm not usually hard and fast about such things.

These are the boundaries of Leslieville, according to Google Maps: https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=leslieville+toronto&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x89d4cb82a8598111:0x14c6bd97125f2116,Leslieville,+Toronto,+ON&gl=ca&ei=MNxiUrj9HKqoyAGUh4GAAQ&ved=0CIwBELYD

Grew up in the Beaches and have lived in Leslieville since 2003. I hate these debates, as Leslieville was never incorporated and has never had truly defined borders. It's usually real estate driven - bleh.

However, for the sake of chatting about it - from living in 4 different addresses in the area and speaking to folks around much longer, this Google map definition is pretty good and makes sense. The train tracks are definitely the Northern boundary. As residential begins to blend into Commercial/industrial to the south it creates a southern edge. In the West, I understood that Logan was the line where Leslieville ended, leaving a small patch including Booth and Empire as orphaned territory between Leslieville and the so called Riverside on the other side of the tracks. To the East I had never thought I would call anything beyond Greenwood Leslieville. However, the area between Greenwood and Coxwell certainly fits the neighbouthood profile of Leslieville versus the Beach to its East.

I am now living at Broadview and Queen and out of habit and fondest I still pronounce myself as living in Leslieville - Terrible I know!

Grew up in the Beaches and have lived in Leslieville since 2003. I hate these debates, as Leslieville was never incorporated and has never had truly defined borders. It's usually real estate driven - bleh.

However, for the sake of chatting about it - from living in 4 different addresses in the area and speaking to folks around much longer, this Google map definition is pretty good and makes sense. The train tracks are definitely the Northern boundary. As residential begins to blend into Commercial/industrial to the south it creates a southern edge. In the West, I understood that Logan was the line where Leslieville ended, leaving a small patch including Booth and Empire as orphaned territory between Leslieville and the so called Riverside on the other side of the tracks. To the East I had never thought I would call anything beyond Greenwood Leslieville. However, the area between Greenwood and Coxwell certainly fits the neighbouthood profile of Leslieville versus the Beach to its East.

I am now living at Broadview and Queen and out of habit and fondest I still pronounce myself as living in Leslieville - Terrible I know!

When I moved to Toronto in 1985, there was Riverdale (north of Gerrard, east of Pape) and South Riverdale. "East Riverdale" (as far as Greenwood) began to creep in for east of Pape once the housing market heated up. Everything else was no man's land. I am not sure when Riverside and Leslieville were concocted as names but those sure did not exist in the 80s.

There are no official neighbourhood boundaries. Boundaries are a matter of convention and opinion, and are subject to change. Some are widely accepted, others are endlessly debated, and none are official. Even where an area was once separately incorporated, a lot has changed since 1882 or 1912 (or whenever the village or town was amalgamated into Toronto) and those old municipal boundaries might not be all that relevant today. Even the pre-1998 municipal boundaries are, in some cases, starting to get hazy (nonetheless, people are still very aware when they cross Victoria Park :)). The City has neighbourhood boundaries, but they were created for specific, discrete purposes, are often as artificial and arbitrary as any other boundaries, and the City often uses different boundaries for different purposes. There is no City by-law establishing a full set of official neighbourhood boundaries in this City.

While I think it is fascinating discussing neighbourhood boundaries, because people are always full of interesting insights into our collective sense of place, it is utterly pointless to argue over neighbourhood boundaries.

Booth is the official "BIA" western boundry (although the tracks really should be, damn you Riverside!). East tends to be more conentious, but Coxwell is about right (although, that leaves a bit of a neighbourhoodless void until The Beach). North I'd say the tracks again (assuming Leslieville assumed the South Riverdale boundaries) and to the south Lake Shore Blvd.

Back