News   Apr 18, 2024
 289     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.9K     4 

Leslieville / Studio District

This is so dumb. There was a KFC at Coxwell for years, and now it's gone. So there's a new one opening up a few blocks west, and it represents a corporatization of the neighbourhood.

Exactly, it's the objective of every corporation like KFC to squeeze out the small independents from the neighbourhood, and KFC has now moved closer to Chicke'n'Joy (or whatever it's called) thus upping the competition with the small operator.

KFC will probably sell the Coxwell property to some developer for a condo building, a much better neighbourhood intensification prospect than a KFC outlet and parking lot at that location. I hope the developer incorporates street-level commercial space and somehow makes it affordable for small operators and not just chains with deep pockets.

Heard a rumour this evening that an application had been filed to put a ‘Farm Boy’ at Lakeshore & Leslie.

I recently attended the open house for the "Leslieville Traffic Management & Mitigation Study".

The presentation and boards are available online, and mostly describe the current problems. In general, the concerns are around increased traffic due to the ongoing development on the neighborhood. The crowd at the open house was mostly anti-car, but the presentation (in my opinion) was more in favour of status quo.

They are focusing mainly on short-term changes to show immediate impact. All of the city representatives seemed reluctant to even discuss major change due to the relief line coming in which will disrupt everything anyways.

Follow up meeting (which is supposed to have initial recommendations) is to be scheduled in Fall 2018.

New
Hi everyone, I'm interested in buying a house a block from the Ashbridge Sewage Plant but I'm worried about the odour. Can someone tell me how often does the smell get noticeable/disturbing? I've read that the City did a big odour treatment program in 2014 - has it helped?

Some days you can smell the plant depending on the wind. The bigger issue depending the street is about flooding and water in your basement. Make sure you get that checked out.

Does anybody have a recommendation for a place that has good bagels in Leslieville/Riverside? With all the great food options in the area I have found this is one thing I wish was nearby.

I know there's Bagel Time on Danforth but I'm wondering if there's anything on Queen East or Gerrard?

Nutbar is opening a new location in The Logan Condo at Logan and Queen.

Nice to finally see what some of the new retail will be. There are at least 1 or 2 more spaces in that building and a few more in the the one on the west side of Logan. Anyone have any insight on what else might be moving in?

Word on the street is that Starbuck is moving across the street into the corner unit. A& W and Sleep Country are the other rumored tenants.

Word on the street is that Starbuck is moving across the street into the corner unit. A& W and Sleep Country are the other rumored tenants.

Sigh.

Not unexpected.

But I really do dislike chain-ification on the whole.

When places are still indy'ish (ie. Balzac's), under 10 locations, I can live with one more, if they are a quality and unique'ish offering.

But when you're seeing the 30th, 300th, 3000th whatever, it really adds nothing to the local retail scene.

There is the odd time a chain can be a useful add-on, if its for a type of product that indies rarely do, or offering a needed lower price point for folks in an area.

But those are exceptions, and the above retail list doesn't meet that criteria.

Back