News   Apr 19, 2024
 117     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 447     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 652     1 

Leslieville / Studio District

Is it just the very corner building only or the strip westward to the new condo development? It’s hard to tell in the pic. Thank you

Is it just the very corner building only or the strip westward to the new condo development? It’s hard to tell in the pic. Thank you

I would suggest its the entire block.

Bullpen lists the site as 1599-1609 Queen East

The western most address appears to be 1597 Queen East.

The eastern may go as high 1617 (Coxwell)

Bullpen indicates the frontage is 106ft on Queen.

That is definitely less than entire block, which google measures as 185feet.

But its also more than just the corner.

Hmmm.

Based on the quoted 6,100ft2 of retail.

I believe it excludes the dry cleaners site.

It would everything from the corner to the driveway.

But that's a guess.

Last edited:
Went by the area on the weekend. Yes, the dry cleaners building have an address of 1597 Queen E and look to be outside of the assembly. The Subway sandwiches appear to be as far as it goes.

20201114_131131.jpg

While, there's some work at the corner of Queen E & Knox. Flying Squirrel Motorcycle centre is setting up, which will also include a cafe.

20201114_130222.jpg

The Lee's Food Products/China Lily soy sauce factory at (1233 Queen E & Leslie) has closed, as the company has moved operations to a facility in Scarborough. Some standard speculation has come up in the community but no official word on what will be happening yet in the future at this site.

Last edited:
The Lee's Food Products/China Lily soy sauce factory at (1233 Queen E & Leslie) has closed, as the company has moved operations to a facility in Scarborough. Some standard speculation has come up in the community but no official word on what will be happening yet in the future at this site.

Almost half acre site at the corner of 2 main streets. This site is capable of supporting much more than the cookie cutter mid-rise guidelines. Would planning agree to a more dense/taller built form here?

Almost half acre site at the corner of 2 main streets. This site is capable of supporting much more than the cookie cutter mid-rise guidelines. Would planning agree to a more dense/taller built form here?

I don't have any insight on what the future/new owner plans to do with this site, but I doubt this will get the height of the Queen Ashbridge project near Coxwell. If this were to be redeveloped, I'd expect something similar to 875 Queen East @ Logan:

So you lot made me have a good look at the site.

This won't be a revelation to anyone whose paid attention to it, but I was interested in looking at the Sat. photos to note this is 4 different buildings on Queen and one on the laneway grafted together. You can see all the discrete rooflines.

Quite the hodgepodge!

1606224552802.png

In terms of height precedents:

Corner of Queen/Leslie:

Duke - 2 storeys
Former Bank - 1 storey
Seniors Home - 4 storeys

Here's a view of that intersection looking north, the closed factory being lower-right.

1606224723414.png

To the south, with a laneway as buffer:

SFH - 2 storey

1606224772061.png

To the east:

More SFH at 2 storeys ( would be ripe to add to an assembly here, though I'd rather see more developments than one big monolith)

1606224879855.png

In terms of the closest developments and what their approvals say:

George is 8 storeys

It too was beside 2-storey SFH, and its only 284M away.

While the Beer Store redevelopment site is even closer, and coming in at 6 storeys, its onlyl 65M away.

So I think we have our range, it seems like 6-8 storeys would be the most likely.

Good insights!
In my view, 8 should be a starting point. Leslie Street is not a typical "side street" that is contemplated in the mid-rise guidelines. I believe that section of Leslie south queen is actually categorized as a main street in the City Zoning maps. If an Avenue abuts a Main street then the rules on terracing to the rear should be dropped to adjacent SFHs that front on to Leslie b/c they too should become development sites on their own as you mentioned above. I am not sure why those houses are even categorized as neighbourhoods other than the fact that they exist at SFHs (there is nothing stable about that 'neighbourhood').

In terms of the intersection, the street view picture shows a pretty hostile urban environment *although I am not sure anything more is possible with all those overheard wires*. The corners of the intersection contain a 2 story designated heritage building on the south-west corner, a 4-storey retirement residence that is set back from the street with a front parking pad on the north-west corner, and a collection of small single to 2 story lots that will be hard to redevelopment on the opposite corner.

This is the sole development lot in the near future for this intersection. The guidelines imagine a 6 story street wall with associated densities that will take decades if ever to occur. Planning should take density when they can in a location that allows for it. I would be supportive of a 8-10 storey building, that is set back even more than 4.8 m from the street to lessen the harshness of the corner, maybe a notch in the building to create a corner parkette?

As a side note, I also firmly believe that densities from adjacent historic buildings should be allowed to be transferred, with some form of compensation provided back to ensure the historic building does not fall into disrepair

I'm not huge on the density transfer thing; I'm perfectly content to support the greater density/height you envision, I''m just not a fan of monetizing density permissions even as much as we do now.

I think what's best for the City should be the focus, not the monetary interests of developers.

In terms of park space, I don't see any value to that on this small site.

I'm all for widening the sidewalk sufficiently to allow for quality street trees, with integrated seat walls, but otherwise, parks/pops don't make much sense to me here.

If any area parks were to be expanded; for the immediate area, I might consider, buying the properties on the left below, beside the 'Maple Leaf Forever' cottage, to give that park more visibility from the street; although the current entrance is quite quaint.

1606316436833.png

As a second choice, a bit further afield, taking some money to further acquisitions in the 'Small's Creek' system would be nice.

Small's Creek is now a small trickle of water; but was once more robust, flowing from just north of Danforth, through what is now East Lynn Park, southward, ultimately, to the Lake.

1606316649333.png

From: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...Goads-Map.jpg/250px-Smalls-Pond-Goads-Map.jpg

Today, the 'creek' is still above ground just north of the railway corridor, then south to roughly Gerrard, disappears into a pipe, before a brief reappearance opposite to the rear of the No Frills on Coxwell.

Moncur Park, and Orchard Park are part of the historic Creek system.

I have this nuts idea that we could fully re-daylight the creek one day; and in furtherance of that, slowly buying up the missing links and adding them to the park system would further that goal.

I've used the 'distance' measure function in Google to draw a white line showing the approximate route of the creek (still in pipes, in tact).

1606316949497.png

Leslie Street south of Queen could not be any less charming than it is now..It is basically an off/on ramp to lakeshore and hence the Gardiner. Therefore there is only one way to go and that is for the better IMHO. I do see something here a little higher than allowed with retail on Leslie and Queen and with townhomes along Memory lane as proposed for Poet Condos and mayb be seen currently for George Condos.

Between the George condos and China Lily site, seems like serious potential for some big changes with the Poet condos demo already starting. The large auto body business between the Burren pub and Poet site seem a bit out of place now. The old union building is for sale next to the large single story Noble HVAC store. Rezone application for the Post lofts I believe. This area may look very different in the near future.

Does anyone have insight into the commercial building at 1315 Queen St East? Looks to have been abandoned for quite some time. I last found that they purchased the laneway behind it from the city in 2013 but after that it seems to be nothing going on.

Back