News   Jul 08, 2024
 0     0 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 371     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 3.2K     0 

Leave 'Scarborough' out of crime reports

All those places I mentioned were amalgamated into one city and it only makes sense for places like the Scarborough Town Centre to be renamed the Toronto Town Centre.

so will north york city centre have to be renamed toronto city centre? fort york as fort toronto? downsview park as toronto park? downsview airport as toronto airport? scarborough bluffs as toronto bluffs? richview corridor as the toronto corridor? etc..

here on marklar...

I never mentioned those places because I have never been there. But I do live in Toronto. If you want to live in the past, that is your choice. But it's 2009, and I avoid using words like East York, Etobicoke, North York, Scarborough, York. All those places were amalgamated in 1998.

Going by your logic (including the hilarious proposal to rename Scarborough Town Centre "Toronto Town Centre"), I'm suspecting you weren't even alive in 1998. And that goes, too, for your "I never mentioned those places because I have never been there"--which kind of misconstrues my point re Kawartha Lakes, Chatham-Kent, etc in a way that only someone who hasn't yet hit puberty might do.

In which case, for your own good, may I suggest you take a hiatus from Urban Toronto until you gain a little more maturity or seasoning. Yes, I know, you're young and ambitious and precocious and feel that you know it all, enough to feel up to mingling with we older folk on UT. But for you to make these stupid, idiotic, ill-informed suggestions that'd be horselaughed out of the room by any reasonable municipal official, maybe you're pitching beyond your 10-year-old capability...

kid+in+corner+with+dunce.jpg

Last edited:
First off, I don't care about how people type.
You should, since a poorly communicated point of view is usually assumed to be a poorly thought out one as well. You'll quickly see this impact first hand once you enter the work force.

The amalgamated city of Toronto contains the below specific wards or areas, each represented by a councilor at City Hall. Should we tell them and their constituents that their wards do not exist?

Ward 35 Scarborough Southwest
Ward 37 Scarborough Centre
Ward 39 Scarborough-Agincourt
Ward 41 Scarborough-Rouge River
Ward 43 Scarborough East

Going by your logic (including the hilarious proposal to rename Scarborough Town Centre "Toronto Town Centre"), I'm suspecting you weren't even alive in 1998. And that goes, too, for your "I never mentioned those places because I have never been there"--which kind of misconstrues my point re Kawartha Lakes, Chatham-Kent, etc in a way that only someone who hasn't yet hit puberty might do.

In which case, for your own good, may I suggest you take a hiatus from Urban Toronto until you gain a little more maturity or seasoning. Yes, I know, you're young and ambitious and precocious and feel that you know it all, enough to feel up to mingling with we older folk on UT. But for you to make these stupid, idiotic, ill-informed suggestions that'd be horselaughed out of the room by any reasonable municipal official, maybe you're pitching beyond your 10-year-old capability...

Who ever thought that someone can take something so serious? I'm not the one who making personal insults to somone they do not know. I wonder what your really like in real life. Really, I would like to meet you in person. I would want to see your arrogace in person. It's funny how you consider me a child when right here you are acting like a 5 year old. I have no problems with anyone who opposes my views. But to act like a child just shows that you should need take time off UT, and the computer all together. This is the internet and you have to choose what you read. I'm all for a friendly debate, but this is going no where if you and some others get so angry at ones opinion that you have to come up with pre school insults. This is a forum where people should be able to express the views without facing backlash. It's too bad that a few people understand that. Control your anger and then reply to me like a adult should.

Have a good weekend to all

Last edited:
You should, since a poorly communicated point of view is usually assumed to be a poorly thought out one as well. You'll quickly see this impact first hand once you enter the work force.

The amalgamated city of Toronto contains the below specific wards or areas, each represented by a councilor at City Hall. Should we tell them and their constituents that their wards do not exist?

Ward 35 Scarborough Southwest
Ward 37 Scarborough Centre
Ward 39 Scarborough-Agincourt
Ward 41 Scarborough-Rouge River
Ward 43 Scarborough East

The thing that you learn in life is that everyone has a different way of communication. Plus, I doubt anyone here is at a Einstein level

The thing you don't seem to get is that if nobody called it Scarborough then everyone would call it "eastern Toronto". There would be no benefit because any negative connotation certain people have due to "Scarborough" being mentioned in the news would then be attached to "eastern Toronto". The other reality is that people who live there consider it to be Scarborough so calling it Scarborough properly conveys the meaning in a way people there can understand. If the news people were to talk about an event in Wexford then hardly anyone would know where the event is, but if you tell them it is in eastern Scarborough they will know roughly where it is and whether or not it is worth the drive. Calling the area Scarborough breaks up the city into manageable parts. Neighbourhood is too granular and city is too large when talking to people who live in the Toronto area. I'm sure most people travelling outside the Toronto area do refer to living in Scarborough as living in Toronto.

If a teacher at a neighbourhood school asks you where you live you tell them your street. If someone from work asks you where you live you mention Scarborough and if they ask you what part then you tell them your neighbourhood (if it is well known) or a major intersection. If someone on a trip to Alberta asks you where you live you tell them Toronto or Toronto, Ontario. If someone on a trip to Europe asks you where you live you tell them Toronto, Canada. You tell people the location based on the expected granularity and based on what you think they might understand.

Last edited:
The thing that you learn in life is that everyone has a different way of communication. Plus, I doubt anyone here is at a Einstein level

By that measure, neither David Miller nor any of the marginal tinfoil-hatters running against him in 2003/06 are "at a Einstein level".

Sort of like how, when it comes to architecture and urbanism, neither Jack Diamond nor some dumb hick slathering an Edwardian (or Modernist) commercial block with EIFS stucco and nitwit fake pediments is "at a Frank Gehry level".

And I'm sure said dumb hick would react like you are re my calling him a dumb hick. Doesn't make him any less of a dumb hick.

First off, I don't care about how people type. Second, There's a major difference in looking at this, http://www.stime.com/toronto/images/ward_map.gif and looking at this, http://map.toronto.ca/imapit/iMapIt.jsp?app=TOMaps. The fact is, that all the areas I mentioned are under one roof. It's up for places like the STC to update their names. The media has a important part too. Instead of saying Scarborough, say Toronto. Instead of North York, Say Toronto.

I refuse to live in the past and believe that these places are still cities. De-amalgamation isn't happening so deal with it.

Those names still exist for a reason.

They are also used to describe or pinpoint exactly a certain area of Toronto.

When co-workers etc ask me where I live, I don't just say Toronto because that is too broad. I say Liberty Village.

If someone on a trip to Alberta asks you where you live you tell them Toronto or Toronto, Ontario. If someone on a trip to Europe asks you where you live you tell them Toronto, Canada. You tell people the location based on the expected granularity and based on what you think they might understand.

It depends. I've heard someone in Wasaga Beach say that they're going to Concord (a total nonentity), while nobody would say they're going to Willowdale. There's a myth that people think that GTAers say they're from Toronto whenever they're outside the GTA, but that's often not the case at all.

Though normally after you tell someone your from Concord, or Vaughn, or Milton, or Acton, and they start asking where is that, you end up saying Toronto. And outside of the country, that applies to places further afield such as Kitchener.

But they say Concord and not Vaughan (this applies even to communities in Mississauga, which is much more coherent). Nobody says they're from a community in Toronto when they're in a more distant place.

Last edited:

kid+in+corner+with+dunce.jpg

Why don't you go sit in a corner yourself until you learn a few more social graces? What a prick you are to people sometimes, and for what reason?! His opinion on region and neighbourhood names? What happened in your life to hurt you so badly? Shame on you, really. Shame!

Back