News   Jul 09, 2024
 383     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 501     0 

Leave 'Scarborough' out of crime reports

Depends on the media. CBC keeps saying east end of Toronto. Though how Shepherd and Morningside can be described as east end is beyond me ... I'd have thought that east end would have been south of St. Clair.

Well, Toronto goes up to Steeles, and to the Rouge River.

More traditionally though I think of East End as something like at the level of The Beach or Riverdale, usually south of Sheppard.

Last edited:
People need to stop living in the 1980's. Scarborough and the other municipalities were amalgamated into a single city. So Scarborough should be out of the news reports for that reason.

People need to stop living in the 1800s. Yorkville and other municipalities were amalgamated into a single city. All neighbourhoods in Toronto should be struck from the public consciousness and renamed "Toronto."

People need to stop living in the 1800s. Yorkville and other municipalities were amalgamated into a single city. All neighbourhoods in Toronto should be struck from the public consciousness and renamed "Toronto."

why not revise history and erase all traces from all records?

People need to stop living in the 1980's. Scarborough and the other municipalities were amalgamated into a single city. So Scarborough should be out of the news reports for that reason.

Okay, then; you can apply that same logic to other 90s Mike Harris mega-amalgamations. No more references to Lindsay or Bobcaygeon or Fenelon Falls; it's all now the City of Kawartha Lakes. No more Chatham, because it's now part of Chatham-Kent. Etc. Etc.

Boy, you're an amateur.

I never mentioned those places because I have never been there. But I do live in Toronto. If you want to live in the past, that is your choice. But it's 2009, and I avoid using words like East York, Etobicoke, North York, Scarborough, York. All those places were amalgamated in 1998.

Jays753, they are making fun of your idea because it is stupid. Most of this city was amalgamated from separate towns over a century before the 1980s and we still use those names today. Nobody will EVER forget the names Scarborough, Etobicoke, York, etc. They are themselves composed of distinct neighbourhoods and if you suggest your point of view to people living in those areas, you will encounter heavy resistance.

I'm afraid your suggestion doesn't reconcile with the entire Canadian identity.

Jays753, they are making fun of your idea because it is stupid. Most of this city was amalgamated from separate towns over a century before the 1980s and we still use those names today. Nobody will EVER forget the names Scarborough, Etobicoke, York, etc. They are themselves composed of distinct neighbourhoods and if you suggest your point of view to people living in those areas, you will encounter heavy resistance.

I'm afraid your suggestion doesn't reconcile with the entire Canadian identity.

All those places I mentioned were amalgamated into one city and it only makes sense for places like the Scarborough Town Centre to be renamed the Toronto Town Centre. I can understand why people from outside the GTA may get confused when places are referred by something else than Toronto. Here's a example:

http://www.nooobody.com/locations.php

When you read were the locations are, unless you know the area, you are led to believe that Scarborough and North York are cities when their not. Your led to believe that they are not from Toronto. What they should've done was list it under "Toronto" for people to understand. I can understand why some people could get confused.

Now I know that many people hated amalgamation but the thing that people have to do is move forward.

I have news for you: Scarborough, Etobicoke, and the Yorks all still exist. They are simply part of the larger City of Toronto. The names didn't magically disappear in 1998. Go look at a map if you don't believe me.

Naming store locations the way they are makes sense. This is a huge city, and listing locations properly is more descriptive and helpful than just "Toronto." How is it a problem if people unfamiliar with the area think Etobicoke is still a city? It will literally take them 5 seconds to figure it out just by looking at road signs and maps.

This has nothing to do with loving or hating amalgamation, it is simply the way things are.

Also, there/they're/their and your/you're.

Last edited:
I have news for you: Scarborough, Etobicoke, and the Yorks all still exist. They are simply part of the larger City of Toronto. The names didn't magically disappear in 1998. Go look at a map if you don't believe me.

Naming store locations the way they are makes sense. This is a huge city, and listing locations properly is more descriptive and helpful than just "Toronto." How is it a problem if people unfamiliar with the area think Etobicoke is still a city? It will literally take them 5 seconds to figure it out just by looking at road signs and maps.

This has nothing to do with loving or hating amalgamation, it is simply the way things are.

Also, there/they're/their and your/you're.

First off, I don't care about how people type. Second, There's a major difference in looking at this, http://www.stime.com/toronto/images/ward_map.gif and looking at this, http://map.toronto.ca/imapit/iMapIt.jsp?app=TOMaps. The fact is, that all the areas I mentioned are under one roof. It's up for places like the STC to update their names. The media has a important part too. Instead of saying Scarborough, say Toronto. Instead of North York, Say Toronto.

I refuse to live in the past and believe that these places are still cities. De-amalgamation isn't happening so deal with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, you really don't get it, and this in the city of neighbourhoods.

Should Malvern Town Centre be renamed Toronto Town Centre to match STC's renaming to Toronto Town Centre? Kind of like Yang Yang A and Yang Yang S?

Back