News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 836     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Laneway Housing and Garden Suites

Anything that increases density and provides an alternative to point towers is good news to me.

I'm sorry I can't remember where, but I read an article recently that said the fire dept. turned down smaller fire engines because it would mean using fewer firefighters.

A professor of mine back in the day, Martin Liefhebber, won a competition back in the early 1990's to come up with a solution, and a plan for laneway housing. His plan was to allow for what would essentially be the extension of the existing street grid by including the laneways and to make all housing/dwelling/offices located in the laneways almost entirely self-reliant. Rain water collection, solar and wind power, sewage collection all done in house and used to fertilize garden in greenhouses etc. This would have meant increased density without only having to build ridiculous condos everywhere, but also would have created some absolutely phenomenal intersections of life within many neighborhoods scattered across the city.

The ideas went over so well, that this city even tasked him to draw up preliminary plans as to how to implement his plan. However, due to the narrow laneways, the plan died a quick death- why? Our immensely large firetrucks cannot fit in the laneways and poof! that was the end of that.

Why not have some smaller trucks that can make it into these places? How does Europe manage, or any city where they have tight lanes, only wide enough for three people? The point is they do and they have and they have accommodated such interesting places by making smaller firetrucks. We on the other hand do not and will not. Let's just make outright illegal.

p5

I favour having as many firemen as possible ... and they should travel in style.

If property owners agreed to it, the city could widen laneways by appropriating a foot or two of their lots. Fire trucks could come and go all day then. The obstacle, of course, would be existing garages that backed onto laneways - but property owners would gain the right to build granny flats in return. The loss of a garage or two would make the city a greener place, too. Some ten years ago we ceded ownership of our private laneway to the City; they paved it and put in drains and street lights and it's much better as a result - UTGA holds dances there on Victoria Day weekends.

Last edited:
I'm looking to explore laneway housing in Toronto.

Can anyone point to some of the best examples, or, better yet, any resources on laneway housing in Toronto?

There is a U of T thesis turned into a small book - I will give you the citation in a few days since I don't quite remember who the authors are.

I would go through the City of Toronto UD awards - there are a few examples from there. Ditto Canadian Architect. I believe Shim-Sutcliffe Architects worked on a few Laneway projects, ditto newer firms like Superkul. Just look up their portfolio.

AoD

Last edited:
I have come across a few in my travels. Off hand I remember a few on Croft Avenue in the College Bathurst area and on Craven in the Danforth Coxwell area.

I don't know if it qualifies as laneway housing but there's a newish block of townhomes just off of Christie (in between Pendrith and Barton) just off of Pendrith lane I believe.

I live in a laneway, but I guess that's pretty common for a large asian city :D

Here is the citation of the book mentioned earlier.

Shim, B., & Chong, D. (Eds.) (2003?). Site unseen: Laneway architecture & urbanism in Toronto. Toronto: Faculty of Architecture, Landscape & Design, University of Toronto.

It's available from the Toronto Public Library.

AoD

Thanks for all of the info!

In terms of Kensignton Place and its sister Fitzroy Terrace, I'm not sure if they're laneway houses, more like laneway streets, perhaps. However classified, they're the kind of spaces the city could use more of.

I walked them today and was surprised by the quiet, you can't hear the noise and music coming from the market.

laneWayHousing pics;

I'm looking to explore laneway housing in Toronto.

Can anyone point to some of the best examples, or, better yet, any resources on laneway housing in Toronto?

if i can figure out how to upload them here are a few pics:

hmmm, o.k. one pic (guess the others were to big?)

Attachments

• alleyResDnTn001.jpg
    alleyResDnTn001.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 570

Back