L Tower Condos (Cityzen, Castlepoint Realty, Fernbrook Homes) - Real Estate -

Riley,

You should be able to get compensation if you don't agree to their amendment....

According to Tarion:

I have a unit last year that had a delayed closing and I was compensated $100/day (I agreed to their terms) until occupancy, the delay was about 20 days (don't remember exactly). The situation is probably a little bit different from yours though as I believe the my unit is somehow the only one (or one of the very few) that were delayed. The rest were on time. Whereas for the L Tower the delay is across the board...

Interesting that you actually got paid compensation, I didn't know if that was theoretical but its good to hear someone actually received it. It is a bit different with the entire L Tower being delayed, but that's probably why they want us to sign amendments, so that they can make us agree to waive our compensation, and replace it with their 'give' of letting us rent during occupancy period. I forwarded the question to my lawyer and am waiting for his take.

Hi all! What I find strange is that I have my PDI coming up very soon and have not been advised of any further delays (occupancy at the end of this month) and I am in the bottom 15 floors....Can they actually have "permit" issues for one part of the building and not for another part as it looks like they are on track for the lower floor occupancies....I would assume though that someone should already have had their PDIs. I was actually walking by the building today and you could see people inside the North facing suites cleaning them (I guess getting them ready for the PDIs...). So when I hear these 2 months delays, I get a bit confused....

One more thing...I think the compensation from Tarion matters for this condo are governed by when the first contract was signed for L Tower, regardless of when you actually signed yours. I could have signed mine in 2010 but since the first contract was signed prior to 2008, it would be governed by the $5,000 max rule.

https://www.tarion.com/Warranty-Pro...cupancies/Pages/Delayed-Closing-Coverage.aspx

scroll to the section under Condominium Buyers

"The purchase agreement for the first unit sold in your condominium project or phase was signed on or before June 30, 2008"

Hi all! What I find strange is that I have my PDI coming up very soon and have not been advised of any further delays (occupancy at the end of this month) and I am in the bottom 15 floors....Can they actually have "permit" issues for one part of the building and not for another part as it looks like they are on track for the lower floor occupancies....I would assume though that someone should already have had their PDIs. I was actually walking by the building today and you could see people inside the North facing suites cleaning them (I guess getting them ready for the PDIs...). So when I hear these 2 months delays, I get a bit confused....

That's really interesting info Sam. Yes, how indeed can they not have permits for some of us, but still let other people move in? I have no idea if that can be split within a single building, I would have thought any permit would apply to the whole building. Please let us know if you get a call or letter about a delay, or if you actually get to do your PDI and (gasp) actually move in. I'm SO confused now.
(also, if you actually DO do you PDI, please take pics and post if you're comfortable doing so!)

Looks like this thread just gained some steam again.
I have called the sales office a few times in the last few weeks to make sure my August 20 occupancy date is still on track. So far so good however when I called yesterday I was told "not to be surprised if it gets pushed back again." I called Maria at Cityzen (I believe) and left hew a voice mail but I have not heard back yet. My issue is that I need to give my notice where I am renting right now….. assuming August 20 is accurate

Looks like this thread just gained some steam again.
I have called the sales office a few times in the last few weeks to make sure my August 20 occupancy date is still on track. So far so good however when I called yesterday I was told "not to be surprised if it gets pushed back again." I called Maria at Cityzen (I believe) and left hew a voice mail but I have not heard back yet. My issue is that I need to give my notice where I am renting right now….. assuming August 20 is accurate

I would assume that August 20 will NOT be accurate. I specifically also asked Maria for confirmation of my July date because I would need to make arrangements to sell my current place, etc., and she also told me that its possible it would be pushed back, and then I got my call today pushing until Sept. 15. I'm mid-building.

My lawyer is looking into possible compensation now and just told me it looks very possible.

That's really interesting info Sam. Yes, how indeed can they not have permits for some of us, but still let other people move in? I have no idea if that can be split within a single building, I would have thought any permit would apply to the whole building. Please let us know if you get a call or letter about a delay, or if you actually get to do your PDI and (gasp) actually move in. I'm SO confused now.
(also, if you actually DO do you PDI, please take pics and post if you're comfortable doing so!)

I will venture a guess as to which permits will affect some units and not others:

1) Elevators - the lower 12 floors have their own set of 3 elevators. The other floors share the other 6 if I remember correctly. So technically, its possible only the bottom 12 floor's elevators have obtained their permit.

2) Parking - Backstage is still a mess. I doubt they can get a permit to have us park our cars there right now. Maybe the ones that are still on schedule have no parking. Can the unit holders on this board tell us (if they are comfortable) whether they have parking? I have a parking spot for my unit, but by date is still far away - October.

I would assume that August 20 will NOT be accurate. I specifically also asked Maria for confirmation of my July date because I would need to make arrangements to sell my current place, etc., and she also told me that its possible it would be pushed back, and then I got my call today pushing until Sept. 15. I'm mid-building.

My lawyer is looking into possible compensation now and just told me it looks very possible.

Riley, is your unit located near the crane/utility elevator?

I will venture a guess as to which permits will affect some units and not others:

1) Elevators - the lower 12 floors have their own set of 3 elevators. The other floors share the other 6 if I remember correctly. So technically, its possible only the bottom 12 floor's elevators have obtained their permit.

2) Parking - Backstage is still a mess. I doubt they can get a permit to have us park our cars there right now. Maybe the ones that are still on schedule have no parking. Can the unit holders on this board tell us (if they are comfortable) whether they have parking? I have a parking spot for my unit, but by date is still far away - October.

I have parking.

Surprise surprise (not!)....I just received a call from Fernbrook too and my occupancy is delayed by around 2 months to mid-August.....so actually the issue could be permits for the whole building and not parts of the building....the PDI however is still scheduled for next week! The person told me the same thing about being able to rent the unit during occupancy if I sign the agreement letter, however what I want to know is how is that fair for people who actually want to live there? How can they make special arrangements for people who want to rent but not for people who want to live there....horrible planning, I mean who deals with these things in the background....how can they tell people almost 2 weeks ahead of time that their occupancies are now delayed by 2 months....what about people that are renting and have given notice and are actually losing money by having to make new arrangements. The $5,000 compensation by Tarion is not sufficient but yes that's how it is and we know what we get into when we buy pre-construction but you would think that when you buy from a reputable builder, that at least they would know how to manage customer's expectations but none of that here...I am frustrated beyond any means yes as I know we have no rights.....maybe they should propose something for the people who will make L Tower their homes. It isn't too much to ask....that would be "fairer" at least.....

Surprise surprise (not!)....I just received a call from Fernbrook too and my occupancy is delayed by around 2 months to mid-August.....so actually the issue could be permits for the whole building and not parts of the building....the PDI however is still scheduled for next week! The person told me the same thing about being able to rent the unit during occupancy if I sign the agreement letter, however what I want to know is how is that fair for people who actually want to live there? How can they make special arrangements for people who want to rent but not for people who want to live there....horrible planning, I mean who deals with these things in the background....how can they tell people almost 2 weeks ahead of time that their occupancies are now delayed by 2 months....what about people that are renting and have given notice and are actually losing money by having to make new arrangements. The $5,000 compensation by Tarion is not sufficient but yes that's how it is and we know what we get into when we buy pre-construction but you would think that when you buy from a reputable builder, that at least they would know how to manage customer's expectations but none of that here...I am frustrated beyond any means yes as I know we have no rights.....maybe they should propose something for the people who will make L Tower their homes. It isn't too much to ask....that would be "fairer" at least.....

Ugh! Well, I'm sorry to hear that, but I'm not surprised at all. I am guessing the entire building will be getting the same call. It's true, the offer that they are giving us if we sign the amendment does not at all benefit anyone who wants to live there, so for people who will live there the only option appears to be to not sign the amendment and then argue to get compensated.

I don't have a PDI scheduled, so I guess that will now be a while. You're at least lucky you get to see your unit next week. Take pics!

Ugh! Well, I'm sorry to hear that, but I'm not surprised at all. I am guessing the entire building will be getting the same call. It's true, the offer that they are giving us if we sign the amendment does not at all benefit anyone who wants to live there, so for people who will live there the only option appears to be to not sign the amendment and then argue to get compensated.

I don't have a PDI scheduled, so I guess that will now be a while. You're at least lucky you get to see your unit next week. Take pics!

Hi guys,

This thread has come alive !! :)
Sam ... Sorry to hear aswell .... I just put a call to cityzen. They said she wasn't there and that she would call me back on monday ... if she tells me the same story i will ask her how does this help people who plan to live there ... I know what the answer is going to be :(

I have parking and on a higher floor ... I havn't recieve a letter or gotten a call yet ... but unfortunately I am ready for it.

Thanks for all the posts guys

Call up Tarion and see if you have a case for compensation. I had the same situation and got $150/day and builder honored it (different builder). Wouldn't sign anything waving your right to recoup compensation.

Back