L Tower Condos (Cityzen, Castlepoint Realty, Fernbrook Homes) - Real Estate -

I paid around $500k, total closing costs including legal fees excluding HST were around $18k. Out of this close to $7k in developments charges and other related charges and another $7k in land transfer tax. I didn't have any interest paid on my deposit, the amount in my interim occupancy statement was nil but i bought in 2010/2011.

That's not bad actually compared to what I've seen from other closings. My closing a few years ago...I paid $200K less than what you did and closing costs were about the same.

I continue to follow this thread for interest sake, as I still very clearly remember the moment of boarding a plane, going through the airline magazine and seeing a "coming soon" advert for this tower (the original iteration) and thinking finally... this is the kind of architecture we need in Toronto... and I was interested in buying a unit. After reading what the experience has been for purchasers here, I just had to see this for myself to gauge whether this is just pre-construction growing pains, over exaggeration or what. I went into a number of units yesterday afternoon. Keeping in mind that these were selling at $700psf and up, way back when, I can now attest to the disappointment purchasers must have. You need to gut the completed units and basically start from scratch. The Miele appliances is the only redeeming feature, otherwise the flooring looks like something you would find on sale at Home Depot; the kitchen layouts and the tiled areas of the kitchen with their cheap perimeter veneer thresholds is an embarrassment; the bathrooms, the door frames and doors are suburbia subdivision at best; and the hallway carpeting and lighting is something you would see at a newly-renovated Days Inn. God forbid your unit has one of the vertical white bands as the interior ends up with this off-white, almost yellow panel in lieu of the clear glass, and the mullions and windows themselves are super thin and cheap-looking. I couldn't believe it. South views above Backstage are nice, but not good enough to warrant the downfall of the units themselves. Perhaps my standards are too high or I am a finishes snob, but it's a total disaster in my mind. Such a shame. Pier 27 looks very nice and good quality - I don't know what happened here. Perhaps construction costs were poorly estimated and completing the interiors became a "scale back" exercise.

Last edited:
I continue to follow this thread for interest sake, as I still very clearly remember the moment of boarding a plane, going through the airline magazine and seeing a "coming soon" advert for this tower (the original iteration) and thinking finally... this is the kind of architecture we need in Toronto... and I was interested in buying a unit. After reading what the experience has been for purchasers here, I just had to see this for myself to gauge whether this is just pre-construction growing pains, over exaggeration or what. I went into a number of units yesterday afternoon. Keeping in mind that these were selling at $700psf and up, way back when, I can now attest to the disappointment purchasers must have. You need to gut the completed units and basically start from scratch. The Miele appliances is the only redeeming feature, otherwise the flooring looks like something you would find on sale at Home Depot; the kitchen layouts and the tiled areas of the kitchen with their cheap perimeter veneer thresholds is an embarrassment; the bathrooms, the door frames and doors are suburbia subdivision at best; and the hallway carpeting and lighting is something you would see at a newly-renovated Days Inn. God forbid your unit has one of the vertical white bands as the interior ends up with this off-white, almost yellow panel in lieu of the clear glass, and the mullions and windows themselves are super thin and cheap-looking. I couldn't believe it. South views above Backstage are nice, but not good enough to warrant the downfall of the units themselves. Perhaps my standards are too high or I am a finishes snob, but it's a total disaster in my mind. Such a shame. Pier 27 looks very nice and good quality - I don't know what happened here. Perhaps construction costs were poorly estimated and completing the interiors became a "scale back" exercise.

I have seen images/videos of a number of units and I must say I was disappointed. It's a modern building but the interiors look like what you'd find in a suburban condominium. A lot of "home depot" type finishes in there for a project that was heavily marketed and cost so much.

It's not all bad, though.

As for units being handed over in poor condition. Par for the course. Who do builders have to answer to? No one. So expect them to continue to push the boundaries. There are still some builders who turn units over in good condition (Tridel, Daniels, Great Gulf, etc)...just not many of therm.

Last edited:
Karma can you tell me who told you that building is over budget and that's why they are giving us shitty units we can use that statement against them ?

slorco can you let me know any other high rise condominium in downtown toronto better than l tower from inside the unit . I saw 101 peter - 295 Adelaide - ice condos - 353 front street - toronto maple leaf - 33 Bay Street - 3 market street .

There are bylaws to prevent this... you could call them up... call 311 or see: http://www.toronto.ca/311/knowledgebase/64/101000042164.html

From: http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/c...nnel=2e4732e2e7741410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

Construction Noise

It also applies to construction noise. Vehicles or equipment operating in connection with the construction of any building is prohibited during certain periods, including after 7:00 p.m. and before 7:00 a.m. Monday to Friday, 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 a.m. on Saturday, and all day on Sunday or and statutory holidays.

B. Construction. [Added 2007-12-13 by By-law No. 1400-20077]

(1) No person shall emit or cause or permit the emission of sound resulting from any
operation of construction equipment or any construction, if it is clearly audible at
a point of reception:

(a) In a quiet zone or residential area within the prohibited period of 7:00 p.m.
one day to 7:00 a.m. the next day, 9:00 a.m. on Saturdays, and all day
Sunday and statutory holidays; or

(b) In any other area within the prohibited period of all day Sunday and
statutory holidays.​

(2) Subsection B(1) does not apply to the continuous pouring of concrete, large crane
work, necessary municipal work and emergency work that cannot be performed
during regular business hours.

Noise bylaw exemptions can be granted.

The city is hosting some meetings this month about potential revision to the noise bylaw

In my opinion the hallways look decent and the amenities promising. I however totally agree with you that the lobby is so far a joke.... If it was not designed by Munge Leung as promised then I am sure we will see a class action from the owners very soon.

Guys make sure you verify the figures on your statement of adjustment.

My lawyers found that the builder credited me short of 1 month's occupancy fee, It wasn't too bad to have it fixed, just needed some statement from my bank.

Closing costs is quite high. My lawyer told me the levy was around 20k, but the builder decided to cap it at around 9k.

slorco can you let me know any other high rise condominium in downtown toronto better than l tower from inside the unit . I saw 101 peter - 295 Adelaide - ice condos - 353 front street - toronto maple leaf - 33 Bay Street - 3 market street .

I haven't been in these other highrises you've listed, but a quick search on MLS tells me that these highrises are not all priced the same, and especially were not sold pre-construction at the same price psf as L Tower.

Karma I agree with you but I'm optimistic I just don't think cityzen will cheap out look at London on esplanade one of the best downtown projects . That building changed the entire esplanade street in a nice way. I think main floor will be completely updated there is not one downtown condo with lobby this bad including city place . Maybe there will be a front entrance too.
I was chatting with some construction guys but I also overhead it from others while in the lobby. No reputable company would use a plastic table at the entrance for what was advertised as a luxury building. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure out that something went wrong at the end. I think the look insides the suites are pretty decent though. My guess is that they went for something nice such as what we have inside and along the way cash flow problems maybe when they needed to finalize the interiors of the building they had to cheapen that. That's the first impression that people have when they enter the building and none of our guests who came to visit were impressed. By contrast, their other buildings, London and Absolute have much nicer common element design and finishes. When I walk past by London's lobby, I keep asking myself, what went wrong at L tower

Ok I see - your opinion would be different then have a look at few of these building ice condo was expensive then l tower. It's sad but trust me this is reality of the market. What is marketed and what is actually given r two different things. Same with any other product
I haven't been in these other highrises you've listed, but a quick search on MLS tells me that these highrises are not all priced the same, and especially were not sold pre-construction at the same price psf as L Tower.

I'm in the L and I don't really agree with all your harsh criticisms. I am indeed furious with the developer for how this process has gone, and I'm livid that they casually delayed my occupancy so many times without proper notice and I'm angry that it's taking them forever to finish he amenities and giving us proper access to the parking. However beyond my frustrations with the developer, which will largely recede when those elements are finally finished, I am actually really happy with my unit. The finishes are fine. My previous condo was 18 Yorkville by great gulf, and while the closing of that condo was way better, the initial condition of my unit had more deficiencies. In comparison, while the closing at L has been a nightmare, my unit had only three deficiencies which were all easily fixed. I think it's a bit weird how much you feel let down by the finishes *except* the kitchen, when the kitchen and bathroom are the main focus of what people look for in finishes. In this regard, L is quite exceptional as all my kitchen appliances are Miele, and my washer/dryer are also Miele, and my cupboards are sleek modern scavolini. These were all standard and WAY nicer than the standard builder basics in most other condos. Everyone that comes in is really impressed by these finishes. The things you complain about - the doors, the baseboards, whatever - are completely fine and do not stand out as poor or "suburban" whatever that means. They're doors. No one has commented on them and I have not noticed any difference between then and other doors I've had. If anything, I love the entrance door because of the interesting way hey did the numbers of each suite and the lock is really solid.

I totally get the pile-on of hate for this building because of the developer being such a jerk, but the interiors of the suites don't deserve this. The modern kitchens and surprisingly large bathroom make the units seem very urban indeed, and I've been to pretty much every condo out there.

Also, you're wrong about the original price psf, it was not in the $700s, I only paid $526 psf, and have done very well.

I'm in the L and I don't really agree with all your harsh criticisms. I am indeed furious with the developer for how this process has gone, and I'm livid that they casually delayed my occupancy so many times without proper notice and I'm angry that it's taking them forever to finish he amenities and giving us proper access to the parking. However beyond my frustrations with the developer, which will largely recede when those elements are finally finished, I am actually really happy with my unit. The finishes are fine. My previous condo was 18 Yorkville by great gulf, and while the closing of that condo was way better, the initial condition of my unit had more deficiencies. In comparison, while the closing at L has been a nightmare, my unit had only three deficiencies which were all easily fixed. I think it's a bit weird how much you feel let down by the finishes *except* the kitchen, when the kitchen and bathroom are the main focus of what people look for in finishes. In this regard, L is quite exceptional as all my kitchen appliances are Miele, and my washer/dryer are also Miele, and my cupboards are sleek modern scavolini. These were all standard and WAY nicer than the standard builder basics in most other condos. Everyone that comes in is really impressed by these finishes. The things you complain about - the doors, the baseboards, whatever - are completely fine and do not stand out as poor or "suburban" whatever that means. They're doors. No one has commented on them and I have not noticed any difference between then and other doors I've had. If anything, I love the entrance door because of the interesting way hey did the numbers of each suite and the lock is really solid.

I totally get the pile-on of hate for this building because of the developer being such a jerk, but the interiors of the suites don't deserve this. The modern kitchens and surprisingly large bathroom make the units seem very urban indeed, and I've been to pretty much every condo out there.

Also, you're wrong about the original price psf, it was not in the $700s, I only paid $526 psf, and have done very well.

Agree with what you said above. The appliances and cabinets is what most look at. Although the workmanship on the cabinets were mediocre at best for me.

Most of my deficiencies can be fixed easily, but at the same time the customer service reps' approach taken has been a complete joke. They've called to tell me things were fixed, when they weren't. They've tried to brush off deficiencies as if they aren't. They've even told me the incomplete interior finishes of my locker is the responsibilities of property management, not the builder's.

On a side note, anyone else had some of their hallway lights taken off yesterday? Wondering if this was done to paint the walls / put on wallpaper, or if they are being relocated to the higher floors (lol as per the cost cutting issue discussed above)

Agree with what you said above. The appliances and cabinets is what most look at. Although the workmanship on the cabinets were mediocre at best for me.

Most of my deficiencies can be fixed easily, but at the same time the customer service reps' approach taken has been a complete joke. They've called to tell me things were fixed, when they weren't. They've tried to brush off deficiencies as if they aren't. They've even told me the incomplete interior finishes of my locker is the responsibilities of property management, not the builder's.

On a side note, anyone else had some of their hallway lights taken off yesterday? Wondering if this was done to paint the walls / put on wallpaper, or if they are being relocated to the higher floors (lol as per the cost cutting issue discussed above)

I agree that customer service in the building has been pretty bad. My deficiencies were simple to fix, but it was taking them a long time, so I had to go to the office in person during business hours to ask when they would be fixed. They wrote my unit down and the fixes required on a "to do" list that I feel I would never have been on had I not complained in person and watched them write it in front of me. It still took weeks for them to fix them. They finally said they had fixed everything and came up to have me sign the form acknowledging that everything had been fixed. However one issue had still not been fixed at all. The guy asked me if I could just sign the acknowledgement anyway because they were supposed to have fixed everything by a certain deadline and they didn't want to look late! I refused because I'm sure they would have never fixed the final issue if I signed a paper sayin everything was now fine. So they came back the next week to fix it and I signed it. The developer and customer service have been awful but I'm happy with the unit. Can't wait for the building to finally be finished.

Back