News   Aug 30, 2024
 2.4K     2 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 2.2K     0 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 589     0 

Krispy Kreme: the Rise and Fall

I know Toronto isn't exactly Paris- but i still have yet to find a superior cup of coffee in the downtown. You'd figure with so many European immigrants there would be some decent coffee houses. Can anybody direct me to a decent one?

I'm going to be wary of any donut shop when I move up there.

On another note, down here in TN, the only donut chain we have is Krispy Kreme. There are no Tim Horton's.

But as I said before, I'm going to stay away from it regardless. I've just recently been trying to ween myself off carbohydrate-rich diets.

Bogtrotter, there is tons of good coffee in TO. Check out Balzak's at the Distillery District, or Faema on the northwest corner of Christie and Dupont, next to the Blockbuster.

Besides, any coffee that was roasted more than 5 days ago is rancid anyway, so what difference does it make where you buy it?

A Big Mac from McDonald's provides a whopping 530 calories and 33 grams of fat.

One glazed yeast doughnut from Krispy Kreme packs 200 calories and 12 grams of fat.

So its about a 3-to-1 ratio. Still, I can never eat more then one, I get sick. And Ive seen people buy a dozen and just down them one after the other, imagine eating 4 Big Macs in a row.... :x

EDIT: BTW: A grande coffee frappuccino from Starbucks has 270 calories and 4 grams of fat. More than that doughnut you just ate with it.

"One glazed yeast doughnut from Krispy Kreme packs 200 calories and 12 grams of fat."

And I think the creme-filled ones have about 22g of fat! That's insane for a doughnut!

Oh, dear. I hosted a meeting this morning, and ate 4 between 10 and 1:00.

Tims is past doughnuts now, and yes, that's how it's spelt. IIRC, Tims makes most of its volume and money on coffee, sandwiches, soups and those yummie ice caps in the summer.

I doubt Tims even cares if KK is coming to town.

Now if only I could get a Starbucks to replace the Coffee Cup at Carlton and Parliament, then I'd be a happy chap.

I wish Starbucks would use Dexit downtown. Coffee is the only thing I am using cash for these days and there is no way I am going to Timothy's. One sip of their Frapacinno/Iced Cap equivalent and I was almost sick to my stomach.

Krispy Kreme Closure

I went out for a short weekend drive, out to York Region from Brampton. My first point will in in the YRT thread (my thoughts on Viva), but I noticed that the second Krispy Kreme store to open, at Hillcrest Mall in Richmond Hill is now closed. The last time I checked, the Mississauga Mavis Road store was still open. Is the one at STC still open?

I find it interesting mostly because it was such a big hype deal when it opened (with paid-duty Peel Police directing traffic for weeks after the Mavis store opened), and suddenly a collaspe. I wouldn't blame it on better eating habits, as fast food in general is still doing fine.

Re: Krispy Kreme Closure

Wow, that's crazy! There are so many failed KK in Canada (Windsor, all the ones downtown, K/W, Edmonton). I personally love the donuts. The last time I was by STC, in March, it was still open, but I don't know now. OK, I just checked the website, because I was curious, and they only have two in the GTA now, one on Mavis Rd., and one on Billy Bishop Way in North York, so I guess the one in Scarborough closed. It's strange, I remember when Boston Market came into Canada, they opened two locations, one by the Krispy Kreme in Mississauga, and one at Hilcrest Mall too! KK's growing like wildfire here in SE England now though. It's more of an American Novelty Item though.

Re: Krispy Kreme Closure

In that light, do they still sell them at groceries/gas stations?

From Yahoo! News:

Krispy Kreme Takes Another Shot at Canadian Market

Marc Weisblott
Yahoo! Canada News
Thu Nov 18, 2:09 PM

This weekend, Krispy Kreme will officially open its first location in downtown Toronto.

The first dozen people in line Saturday morning will receive a dozen donuts a month for a year, and 100 more will receive a free coffee mug.

But their efforts to bake a glazed frenzy might seem familiar.

Krispy Kreme, founded in Wilson-Salem, N.C. in 1937, announced its expansion to Canada in 2000. Saturday Night, the magazine focused on Canadian culture, ran a cover story about its faithful worshippers across America.

"Like the Christian Crusaders of the twelfth century," wrote journalist Don Gillmor, "it will encounter and try to vanquish the infidels: Tim Hortons, Robin's, Baker's Dozen, Dunkin' Donuts, and others. The suburbs will be littered with crumbs; coffee will be spilled."

Compared to its would-be rivals, Krispy Kreme was unapologetic about selling only one sugary shape of baked goods.

Could the company conquer Canada on coffee and donuts alone? Sending free samples to all media within striking distance of each new store never failed as a strategy. Back then, the company didn't believe in paying for advertisements.

Nor did they need to.

When the first location opened in Mississauga in December 2001, reporters were on hand to relay details of the six people who camped out overnight, waiting cars that were backed up for a kilometre, and the hour-long wait that resulted in more than 25,000 donuts sold by 10 a.m. at $5.99 a dozen.

By spring 2003, two more locations opened in the Toronto area, and new stores in Windsor and Montreal earned similar press attention. Krispy Kreme was planning 50 additional stores across the country. What could go wrong?

A carbohydrate backlash, basically.

The company fell beneath the weight of a growing distaste for starch and sugar. Canadian operations slimmed down by the end of 2004, and several locations were closed in the wake of bankruptcy.

However, the original factory cafe in Mississauga remained, along with similar facilities in Delta, B.C., Longueuil, Que., and Quebec City, primarily to produce boxes of Krispy Kreme for sale in retail stores.

So, the donuts were never deported, even though relatively few Canadians were ever exposed to the trademark red light, switched on when the merchandise was at its freshest.

This year, a seasonal Krispy Kreme opened for tourists at Wasaga Beach, Ont., decked out with all the retro aesthetics associated with its American heritage.

Meanwhile, the downtown Toronto location at 215 Harbord St., the vicinity of a couple of high schools and the University of Toronto, will attempt to put Krispy Kreme on the culinary map with pizza, sushi and other cheap student eats.

For all the hoopla of a decade ago, however, the operation is decidedly smaller. The company is no longer strategizing from North Carolina, having placed these plans in the hands of two Canadian franchisees, who hope to refresh Krispy Kreme's fortune.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/yahoocan...y_kreme_takes_another_shot_at_canadian_market

I'm gonna go try to be one of those 12 people. I hope that 5 AMish will be early enough haha. They open at 7am.

Back