Toronto 2150 Lake Shore | 215.75m | 67s | First Capital | Allies and Morrison

Regarding Mimico, remember that there's a ton of density planned there as well so I don't think closing that station to move it here makes sense either.

Metrolinx slavish adherence to abstract policy (1.5km stop spacing) while ignoring what's actually going on at each station is the real problem.
As I posted in the Go Transit Construction thread, all of the planned condo construction around that station in due directly to the station's existence. Without it, you would most likely see townhomes proposed (which are for more appropriate) for that area. Initially I was actually against closing it, but upon further thought I think it would make a lot of sense to close it down.

I believe there's going to be way more density in this location than you think. I wouldn't be surprised if the Ontario food terminal gets sold and relocated. Making way for more condos, office, retail etc, because of its location to the highway, Humber river, High park, beach, lake etc ! An excellent stop for locals and tourist exit on and off. Making this location more suitable than the other !!

I would advocating keeping Mimico open and adding Park Lawn.

As I posted in the Go Transit Construction thread, all of the planned condo construction around that station in due directly to the station's existence. Without it, you would most likely see townhomes proposed (which are for more appropriate) for that area. Initially I was actually against closing it, but upon further thought I think it would make a lot of sense to close it down.

But those applications aren't going away. Why should the station?

Realistically both stations should exist. But you could easily have a bus route that feeds into HBS.

My personal preference is odd, but I think it might be worth it in the long run to move mimico to park lawn and open up a Kipling one. (More of a long term thing, and opens up more access to Humber students)

There is a shuttle bus being introduced (September possibly) to get people from HBS to Mimico station. It's a short term solution, and as it's proposed to turn around at Park Lawn and Lake Shore, going no further east than that, we'll see how popular it is. (I wonder if they already got an earful about that at the consultation last night - I think it's a mistake.)

TTC2.PNG

The TTC's answer is that people would be able to transfer from a re-routed 66B to the shuttle…

TTC4.PNG

…but who is going to want to ride a stop or two on the 66B (approx. 15 min service at rush hour), just to have to transfer to another fairly short bus (30 min service), to get to Mimico GO? I'd be happy to walk to the shuttle, (I'm happy to walk farther than most people seem to want to), but then to get on a bus to go west to catch a train to go east? There's too much transferring, and it'll feel like going backwards.

It's basically the same in most of south etobicoke. To go downtown, you have to go in the wrong direction... and your most direct route is slow as hell. Literally backwards planning.

In the TTC's mind... who would use the 66 if they are going downtown from HBS? Going to take as long as the 501 and you save a fare.

With all the condos being built around Park Lawn AND Mimico (Royal York Road), they would provide a lot, almost crowding, possible patrons who would live there and then board the trains. Just look at the number of parking lot spaces available at the GO Stations (see link), most likely 1.3 people per vehicle.

Exhibition: 0 spaces, Mimico: 174 spaces, Long Branch: 282, Port Credit: 931, Clarkson: 2,878, Oakville: 2,814, Bronte: 2,623.​

If the Westlake Encore building (see link) has 523 units, add that to the other existing buildings in the Humber Bay area and add the ones under construction or planned, there would be a lot of possible patrons for a Park Lawn GO Station (without parking).

It's basically the same in most of south etobicoke. To go downtown, you have to go in the wrong direction... and your most direct route is slow as hell. Literally backwards planning.

In the TTC's mind... who would use the 66 if they are going downtown from HBS? Going to take as long as the 501 and you save a fare.
You mean, who would take the shuttle, it'll take as long and take one more fare. Yes - exactly! It's a bit of a boneheaded temporary "fix".

Wonder if they are planning on using a full bus for that route.. a Weeltrans vehicle could probably handle the demand.

There are two things with this shuttle, it can be seen as both a time saver and a time waster:

1. It's a time waster in the sense that very few people will choose to waste 15 mins to head backwards to Mimico and wait another X mins for a GO Train to head downtown. As slow as the 501 is, if you take all that time into consideration one would probably be almost halfway downtown.

2. On the other hand it's a time saver for those returning home from work to their condos in the afternoon peak in the sense that there would actually be a quick connection to HBS from Mimico. It would shave at least 25-30 mins from a comparable trip with the 76 and 501.

Basically it comes down to this, the shuttle is useless is the morning peak and useful for the afternoon peak.

I wonder with a new GO Station if there is a chance we can get a couple office towers built here?
The City definitely wants employment replacement here, and they'd prefer it to not be all retail jobs… so yes, I am hoping for office space on this site.

@cd concept: the Ontario Food Terminal is not going anywhere, at least not in the short term. The City wants them to stay, and they continue to make capital investments to improve the infrastructure onsite.

I believe there's going to be way more density in this location than you think. I wouldn't be surprised if the Ontario food terminal gets sold and relocated. Making way for more condos, office, retail etc, because of its location to the highway, Humber river, High park, beach, lake etc ! An excellent stop for locals and tourist exit on and off. Making this location more suitable than the other !!
That and the Kraft Bakery site would result in a LOT of density in this pocket of the city.

But I don't see them leaving given provincial focus on maintaining commercial-industrial employment.

Back