King West Life in Liberty Village (Plazacorp) - Real Estate -

If you guys are trying to estimate your closing costs, keep in mind that you don't pay land transfer tax on HST. That was a nice little mistake I made as I ended up paying about 2000 less than I thought I would.

$0.51

I have a large(r) unit with a large locker and parking so not sure if it's $0.51 for everyone.

Parking is included in the $0.51. Only the 1 bedrooms and smaller have no parking and are cheaper.
Lockers..everyone gets one.
So the $0.51 will be accurate for us at least as my son will have a small 2 bedroom (777 sq.ft.)

Thanks for the comment about the LTT. I guess on our purchase price that would lower by 13%. Means LTT will drop a bit. My son's first home so he has no Toronto LTT and a relatively small Provincial one so not much savings. Thanks anyhow.

Is it just me or are the lobbies of all 3 different? Sorry I bought this condo on assignment so I am not as familiar as you all are with the project's info. I went by the towers the other day and noticed a huge difference between 75 and 85. Not a big deal but just curious to know if they will all look the same once completed, more or less.

Also, does anyone know if the parking garage will have doors eventually? Right now, anyone can drive in and out and get into visitor at least. Is there any security measures that will be taken? Are the elevators fob controlled?

No parking garage doors? Same in our Plazacorp building and its sister building. Our board ended up buying a door for security reasons -- also adding additional keyed entry points.

No parking garage doors? Same in our Plazacorp building and its sister building. Our board ended up buying a door for security reasons -- also adding additional keyed entry points.

That does not sound too good:( I'm not sure why they would not have garage doors...it's unheard of these days with all the new projects that are going up! Depending on who is on my board, who knows if we will spring for this!

That does not sound too good:( I'm not sure why they would not have garage doors...it's unheard of these days with all the new projects that are going up! Depending on who is on my board, who knows if we will spring for this!

I believe there is the visitors parking that is open. There are garage doors to the rest of the parking within. Also, there are controlled entry fobs. Not sure it is quite as open as suggested.
The concierge would need to open the door and there be a buzzer I guess if they install doors at the entrances. And yes, probably will end up at the cost of the unit holders.

I know at our other Plazacorp unit there is parking for condo residents on floors 2,3 and 4. The first floor is visitor and public parking and is open (and they charge for it but it is downtown). However, you can't get into the condo itself as you need a fob.

Hmm I will have to go look at it again this week.

Do you know if the elevators are fob controlled? And does the condo already have a board set up?

I believe there is the visitors parking that is open. There are garage doors to the rest of the parking within. Also, there are controlled entry fobs. Not sure it is quite as open as suggested.
The concierge would need to open the door and there be a buzzer I guess if they install doors at the entrances. And yes, probably will end up at the cost of the unit holders.

I know at our other Plazacorp unit there is parking for condo residents on floors 2,3 and 4. The first floor is visitor and public parking and is open (and they charge for it but it is downtown). However, you can't get into the condo itself as you need a fob.
Yes that's how ours was ... a door to enter resident area. However, it was very difficult to control the visitor parking with no entry door to that section and also to control people wandering in, so we added a door to visitor's that now requires people to ask security for entry. That entry door has also helped cut down on the dust, dirt, leaves, etc. that blew in through the opening.

As for other entry, one example was a door that anyone could walk through from the visitor parking area to the resident parking area with no fob or key required. We did a full building security audit and identified other similar areas in the building. There were also areas where you could access the building without a fob, for example. (not main doors, but you might be surprised if you do a walk around) Also, we only were provided with 6 security cameras for an entire, large building. We have since purchased quite a few more cameras.

Not trying to scare anyone, but we bought in a building that was advertised as having a number of security features and were disappointed at what was actually provided. Security was the #1 issue identified by new owners and residents at our turnover meeting and throughout the first year.

Yes, we had to pay for security upgrades, but fortunately we were able to do that out of surpluses realized by costs savings on a number of areas that Plazacorp originally budgeted for but were overbudgeted or unnecessary.

Good to know!
Clearly this is the first issue we need to bring up once we have an elected board. I am guessing that can only happen once 85 is fully occupied. I think we should also look at elevator fob access as it adds so much more security. In my current building, we have a fob control and it helps lock out 'people' that follow in residents.

If the building is registered (I think I remember reading that?) the turnover meeting should happen within a couple of months. It's not dependent on the building being occupied.

Sounds to me like you should run for the board :)

If the building is registered (I think I remember reading that?) the turnover meeting should happen within a couple of months. It's not dependent on the building being occupied.

Sounds to me like you should run for the board :)

lol...I want to be part of it but not sure I want a 'senior' role as my work won't allow me the time required to actually do the things. I just hope that there are people who agree with me on the issues I raise! Security is a biggie for me as I have had or known of people who have had horrible experiences with their buildings. Especially since Liberty Village is a trendy area right now and there are a lot of 'party' people that do come and hang out at the bars etc, last thing we need is them causing trouble. I know of 2 new buildings in King West that suffer from this a lot and pretty much have the cops doing surveillance every weekend!

We initially had a lot of party people in the building. Board/property management cracked down on the rules and some left because it wasn't fun anymore :) We have double security presence on weekends, which has helped a lot -- when there was just one, he'd be off quietening down a group while people would be sneaking in through the main entry because no one was on the desk.

We've also got pretty much a zero tolerance policy and we have and will fine people, charge them, etc.

We used to put on extra security during busy times like Beerfest, Caribana, etc. but having the entry door to the parking levels helped a lot with that -- people don't try to sneak in and get free parking! We also are very vigilant about ticketing visitors without passes and about matching passes to residents because we found that some people would say they were visiting and just give a suite number -- but when we checked with the person living in the building, they didn't have a guest.

Bottom line is that there are growing pains with a new building as it develops its own personality and character. Good board and good management are essential.

We initially had a lot of party people in the building. Board/property management cracked down on the rules and some left because it wasn't fun anymore :) We have double security presence on weekends, which has helped a lot -- when there was just one, he'd be off quietening down a group while people would be sneaking in through the main entry because no one was on the desk.

We've also got pretty much a zero tolerance policy and we have and will fine people, charge them, etc.

We used to put on extra security during busy times like Beerfest, Caribana, etc. but having the entry door to the parking levels helped a lot with that -- people don't try to sneak in and get free parking! We also are very vigilant about ticketing visitors without passes and about matching passes to residents because we found that some people would say they were visiting and just give a suite number -- but when we checked with the person living in the building, they didn't have a guest.

Bottom line is that there are growing pains with a new building as it develops its own personality and character. Good board and good management are essential.

You should move to our building and get on the board!!!!

You should move to our building and get on the board!!!!

I tried to invite PinkLucy to run for our board as well. LOL
You do not actually have to be an owner or live in the building to run for the board at least as I understand the condo rules/act.
So PinkLucy, the offer still stands.

She was not inclined to take me up on it before however soaddictive.
She clearly would be a great resource person as she has experienced first hand "growing pains" of a new condo.

Back