King West Life in Liberty Village (Plazacorp) - Real Estate -

We have been moving him slowly the past week.
We will go through and inspect everything that was done in more detail the next few days.
That said, we had mainly scratches, loose board etc. No major damage though there was a bit of mark on the granite in the kitchen...they got it somewhat out...I think he will have to settle. All in all pretty minor.

We have been moving him slowly the past week.
We will go through and inspect everything that was done in more detail the next few days.
That said, we had mainly scratches, loose board etc. No major damage though there was a bit of mark on the granite in the kitchen...they got it somewhat out...I think he will have to settle. All in all pretty minor.

You know what...I'm a liar. It was our 30-day stuff that took 4 months to fix.

^^^^
No big deal.
Did you find new things between your 1st PDI and the 30 day move in PDI?

Yeah, we noticed more issues with the floor. Some of it had to be ripped up so that they could pour self levelling concrete. The floor was "bouncing" a little to much in those areas.

Thanks.
Will make sure that my son checks on that as we move in more furniture.
These are floating floors though....laminates just are but they should not be trampelines.
Overall though I trust you are more or less pleased with the unit you bought.

This IMO ruined Ivory for me. If it was about money they could have easily made up for the loss in floors by charging more for the 9 ft ceilings. Plaza also seems to have gone down in terms of quality. I'm hoping they step it up...but don't expect much.

a family member has a west face unit in 85 East Liberty. There are 8 foot ceilings on that floor. The condo is very bright, well laid out and frankly in terms of quality was extremely well built with very little in the way of concerns on the PDI...virtually all taken care of in the week following the PDI. He has been there going on a year and 1/2 and very little to complain about as far as the unit.
Quality of workmanship frankly was excellent.
That said, on some of the floors with piping the hallways are quite low. Given we are talking about 1 extra floor every 8 would people want to spend 12.5% more to have 9 foot ceilings if the limiting factor for the builder is total height of the building?
I would suggest in trade up buildings and larger 2nd or 3rd condos for owners the answer is yes. For renters/those going into their first units as entry level condos in smaller buildings..the answer would be no.
I believe Plaza is just catering to their perceived market and hence for e.g. at 85 the higher floors beyond 14 are all 9 foot ceilings as well as some other individual floors on lower levels though mainly due to transition floors and additional heights to hide ceiling pipes.

a family member has a west face unit in 85 East Liberty. There are 8 foot ceilings on that floor. The condo is very bright, well laid out and frankly in terms of quality was extremely well built with very little in the way of concerns on the PDI...virtually all taken care of in the week following the PDI. He has been there going on a year and 1/2 and very little to complain about as far as the unit.
Quality of workmanship frankly was excellent.
That said, on some of the floors with piping the hallways are quite low. Given we are talking about 1 extra floor every 8 would people want to spend 12.5% more to have 9 foot ceilings if the limiting factor for the builder is total height of the building?
I would suggest in trade up buildings and larger 2nd or 3rd condos for owners the answer is yes. For renters/those going into their first units as entry level condos in smaller buildings..the answer would be no.
I believe Plaza is just catering to their perceived market and hence for e.g. at 85 the higher floors beyond 14 are all 9 foot ceilings as well as some other individual floors on lower levels though mainly due to transition floors and additional heights to hide ceiling pipes.

Not a fan of KWL or how it's built, to be honest. The place looks like it's 10 years old inside. The paint, carpeting, wallpaper already needs changing and the building's what...2-3 years old? Given the issues that I've heard about in that place...."excellent" is not a word I'd use to describe Plaza's workmanship. I also think they offer a decent product at competitive prices. I just don't like it. The styling is very dated IMO.

We have seen that in Toronto people are willing to spend a lot of money for virutally anything. Personally, 8ft ceilings are a big no-no nowadays. Most new condos coming out have 9ft ceilings.

Not a fan of KWL or how it's built, to be honest. The place looks like it's 10 years old inside. The paint, carpeting, wallpaper already needs changing and the building's what...2-3 years old? Given the issues that I've heard about in that place...."excellent" is not a word I'd use to describe Plaza's workmanship. I also think they offer a decent product at competitive prices. I just don't like it. The styling is very dated IMO.

We have seen that in Toronto people are willing to spend a lot of money for virutally anything. Personally, 8ft ceilings are a big no-no nowadays. Most new condos coming out have 9ft ceilings.

The problem with KWL is there are too many dogs/cats and people do not take care of it. The light coloured carpets in the common areas was a mistake.
I was referring to the suite itself and I stand by my assertion. The workmanship is actually very good. Perhaps my relative was lucky. However this is the second Plazacorp building I have owned in and I have to tell you...it is a lot better workmanship than many other builders in the city.

The style of the building I agree could be better.

The problem with 9 feet being a nono these days is simply everyone being sold a bill of goods. I agree 9 feet is nice. However, with a lot of window (this unit is under 800 sq.ft. unit but has 30 feet of window) and west face...it is a very bright cheerful condo. Now a bowling alley condo with less window and less ceiling height...I agree is an issue.

My problem is that a lot of these entry level condos are that...entry level. 9 foot ceilings, SS appliances, hardwood floors and no compromising especially from people who can only buy because of ridiculously low interest rates has meant that people want and get everything because the monthly payment is $100 more.
There is a place for these units and $20K less is significant in absolute dollars for the loss of ceiling height...but irrelevant in the carrying costs. Let's see when/if interest rates go up if that is still the case.

The problem with KWL is there are too many dogs/cats and people do not take care of it. The light coloured carpets in the common areas was a mistake.
I was referring to the suite itself and I stand by my assertion. The workmanship is actually very good. Perhaps my relative was lucky. However this is the second Plazacorp building I have owned in and I have to tell you...it is a lot better workmanship than many other builders in the city.

The style of the building I agree could be better.

The problem with 9 feet being a nono these days is simply everyone being sold a bill of goods. I agree 9 feet is nice. However, with a lot of window (this unit is under 800 sq.ft. unit but has 30 feet of window) and west face...it is a very bright cheerful condo. Now a bowling alley condo with less window and less ceiling height...I agree is an issue.

My problem is that a lot of these entry level condos are that...entry level. 9 foot ceilings, SS appliances, hardwood floors and no compromising especially from people who can only buy because of ridiculously low interest rates has meant that people want and get everything because the monthly payment is $100 more.
There is a place for these units and $20K less is significant in absolute dollars for the loss of ceiling height...but irrelevant in the carrying costs. Let's see when/if interest rates go up if that is still the case.

You're right. The interior finishes are quite nice. I was mostly talking about the finishes and workmanship outside of the units. As far as the ceiling height debate, I just think we're moving to 9ft ceilings being the norm. 8ft ceiling units will need to have a lot of bells and whistles in order to compete with 9ft ceiling units. Younger people want the stainless steel, ceasarstone and wood floors......along with 9ft ceilings. They are driving the market....whether it's buying or renting.

To me 8 ft is OK, but then you see the same unit with 9ft ceilings and you probably won't even consider the 8ft one. Only way I'd consider 8ft is if it was top notch in every category and was priced much lower than the competition. Maybe it's because I've always had 9ft ceilings ever since I rented an 8ft cave 6 years ago. It's like having HD. Once you have it, you won't go back to SD even though SD is cheaper and decent.

You may be right about young people.
I grew up with 8 foot ceilings.
If young people are being priced out of the market at present....something has to give.
9 foot ceilings are nice. 10 feet even nicer. Especially when you are talking about 500 sq.ft.
But again if interest rates go up....what are people going to give up as developers can't entice people to buy?
Will it be the SS appliances, the marble countertops, the Hdwd floors, the amenities, or the 9 foot ceilings?

My point is simply in the very low interest rate environment people are stretching in many cases and able to get it all and the difference of carrying an additional $20K mortgage at 2.6% on a monthly basis is not huge.

Back