News   Mar 28, 2024
 27     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

King Street (Streetcar Transit Priority)

I might be wrong, but is it possible that the businesses on the Pilot that claim to be negatively affected are actually telling the truth and the spending being "in line" with other years is because other businesses are getting more spenders? So some are losers and some are winners, but that balances it out?
Of course it's possible. Averages always fail to show individual variations. The whiners MAY be getting less business because their food has got worse or more expensive, because they ARE whiners or for lots of reasons.

Of course it's possible. Averages always fail to show individual variations. The whiners MAY be getting less business because their food has got worse or more expensive, because they ARE whiners or for lots of reasons.

Well, it sure couldn't have been the middle finger sculptures they had pointed at all of their customers...

DUGjj9fW0AANyZH.jpg

Remember, they're just selfish Ferengi pricks. They just want your money, and will resort to extremes to try and get it, even if it means stirring up a controversy.

Attachments

• DUGjj9fW0AANyZH.jpg
    DUGjj9fW0AANyZH.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 393
Remember, they're just selfish Ferengi pricks. They just want your money, and will resort to extremes to try and get it, even if it means stirring up a controversy.

All of this dishonesty from certain business owners has completely shattered my faith in people who dress like mafia stereotypes :(
Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 7.06.38 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 7.06.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 7.06.38 PM.png
    109.8 KB · Views: 384
Small King Street Pilot adjustment: the eastbound streetcar stop at Peter has been moved further east on the block, away from the intersection.

Stops will now feature these flexiposts to prevent cars pulling into them.

035DE41F-5817-468C-8BB5-C88C06E4F048.jpeg
275E375E-214E-4440-9DDC-FB5F4FFEACC8.jpeg

Attachments

• 035DE41F-5817-468C-8BB5-C88C06E4F048.jpeg
    035DE41F-5817-468C-8BB5-C88C06E4F048.jpeg
    297.2 KB · Views: 527
  • 275E375E-214E-4440-9DDC-FB5F4FFEACC8.jpeg
    275E375E-214E-4440-9DDC-FB5F4FFEACC8.jpeg
    220.9 KB · Views: 530
Small King Street Pilot adjustment: the eastbound streetcar stop at Peter has been moved further east on the block, away from the intersection.

Stops will now feature these flexiposts to prevent cars pulling into them.

View attachment 135708 View attachment 135709
All this effort to keep pedestrians waiting for the streetcar safe could have been avoided if proper sidewalk extensions were built. It doesn't even have to be anything permanent, as simple wooden decks could be built out to allow for streetcar platforms, widened sidewalks, and public spaces.

Of course, this is assuming no crazy Beck drivers think they are accessibility waiting areas, requiring the road to be the same level of the sidewalk o_O

Reactions: BMO
Whats being done to prevent people breaking the rules, it seems nobody even cares about the pilot at King and University with numerous drivers going through? Why aren't there cops ticketing people.
The same that was done when "the centre lanes are for transit vehicles only during rush hours" before the pilot.

Whats being done to prevent people breaking the rules, it seems nobody even cares about the pilot at King and University with numerous drivers going through? Why aren't there cops ticketing people.
We have had this discussion (at great length) pages and pages above and I think the consensus is that you really don't need to catch every car. I agree that a bit more of a police presence would be good (and would bring in some $$) BUT the amount of traffic is really GREATLY reduced.

All this effort to keep pedestrians waiting for the streetcar safe could have been avoided if proper sidewalk extensions were built. It doesn't even have to be anything permanent, as simple wooden decks could be built out to allow for streetcar platforms, widened sidewalks, and public spaces.

Of course, this is assuming no crazy Beck drivers think they are accessibility waiting areas, requiring the road to be the same level of the sidewalk o_O

Wooden extensions of the sidewalk at the stations would've been the most effective solution IMO. It visually and physically separates the road from the waiting area. The bollards, may be as effective, but are also ugly as sin.

Wooden extensions of the sidewalk at the stations would've been the most effective solution IMO. It visually and physically separates the road from the waiting area. The bollards, may be as effective, but are also ugly as sin.
It's a PILOT and thus there really was no point in building wooden 'sidewalk extensions". I have heard discussion of some coming now that the pilot is clearly working well (except for Mr Kit Kat) and with summer coming there may be roadside patios in some locations. The bollards ARE extremely ugly but if (or when) the pilot becomes the norm I bet they will go as fast as they came.

Right now whats the consensus? Do we expect the pilot project to drop the pilot? Or is it gonna end?
Well, one person is not a consensus but I think that the results are pretty clear: the lack of traffic DOES speed up transit, does attract transit riders and does not generally harm business or create huge traffic problems on adjacent streets. I am, of course, in favour of it and I think that it will continue - probably with more tweaks and certainly with more 'design elements'.

Indeed you could have someone sitting at a different intersection every day and rake in the cash.

It turns out that being too heavy handed was counterproductive. People who previously frequented King are avoiding the area because they're afraid of doing something wrong and getting a ticket. That lead to the business complaints that we're now wasting time and money trying to correct.

Unintuitive road design and a large media focus on the police blitz ticketing drivers caused a PR blowback that unnecessarily hurt the pilot. Yes, drivers should know the rules but there's no benefit in scaring people away from King Street with media alerts or a big police presence.

The end game isn't to collect revenue from ticketing drivers; it's to improve the use of the street. In that, the pilot is working despite those who break the rules. Improved signage and physical cues will help improve compliance.

Back