News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 385     0 

King Street (Streetcar Transit Priority)

Looking to see how the TTC handles crowds on King East when the Canary District starts to populate this summer. A lot of people going to be moving into the area in a very short time.
The two new routes (514 and 121) starting in late spring should deal with it. Population there has already grown. Bigger issue is that 4-minute peak 504 service on Broadview and Queen E is already leaving people behind at 8:00 AM.

Bombardier should just give us those additional 60 streetcars free of charge for our troubles.
the contract limit is 5% penalty I think. It's likely TTC will take a chunk of that in streetcars, but even that is 10 cars at the most. They could sue for more but there is no guarantee they would not be held to the contract as negotiated.

I think that recent and new development in the Canary and Distillery Districts and the Parliament corridor in general warrant a SmartTrac station. If Liberty Village gets one, so should this neighborhood. Hopefully the King streetcar ROW reaches this far east. A DRL on Queen would complete the picture. If Cherry (Sumach) becomes the central spine, I'd hope that the stations of these new lines are aligned with the Cherry streetcar route.

I think that recent and new development in the Canary and Distillery Districts and the Parliament corridor in general warrant a SmartTrac station. If Liberty Village gets one, so should this neighborhood. Hopefully the King streetcar ROW reaches this far east. A DRL on Queen would complete the picture. If Cherry (Sumach) becomes the central spine, I'd hope that the stations of these new lines are aligned with the Cherry streetcar route.
Let's see what Metrolinx decides. They make decisions behind walls in the office oppose to exploring what's there.

During the Master Transit Planning for the Portland area and the Waterfront in 2004-2006 as well the EA for the Cherry St LRT line, A GO Station was vision by GO and the team that there would be a GO Station at Cherry St that would service all of GO Transit east line.

During the Master Transit Planning for the Portland area and the Waterfront in 2004-2006 as well the EA for the Cherry St LRT line, A GO Station was vision by GO and the team that there would be a GO Station at Cherry St that would service all of GO Transit east line.
Unilever wasn't in play at that point. I wonder if that changes the inclination to have a station between there and Union.

Metrolinx and city council are reviewing whether the DRL should include a Unilever stop. It seems absurd to have both a Smart Trac and DRL stop in an undeveloped area, yet no stops in an area (Parliament/Distillery/Canary) that's exploding and will need a transit hub even more when the Portlands are developed to the south. My suggestion would be to have a DRL station at Unilever and an ST stop at the Distillery. (I also think we need the DRL to at least reach as far west as Spadina, considering that it's been confirmed that there won't be an ST stop at Spadina.

Metrolinx and city council are reviewing whether the DRL should include a Unilever stop. It seems absurd to have both a Smart Trac and DRL stop in an undeveloped area, yet no stops in an area (Parliament/Distillery/Canary) that's exploding and will need a transit hub even more when the Portlands are developed to the south. My suggestion would be to have a DRL station at Unilever and an ST stop at the Distillery. (I also think we need the DRL to at least reach as far west as Spadina, considering that it's been confirmed that there won't be an ST stop at Spadina.
DRL stop at Unilever will be terribly far away from where the Unilever site actually is.

I don't know why the DRL is wasting time with the Unilever node, when it is undeveloped, cannot have a good interchange with GO-RER, and will have alternative transit access options. The longer route to the Unilever site makes the Relief Line less attractive for it's primary purpose - relieving Yonge-Bloor station.

I don't get why people keep bringing up a DRL station at the Unilever site. Unilever is right on the Lakeshore/Stouffville GO line and not on the DRL route. Changing the route of the RL to serve a site that's right on an existing rail line would be wasteful and pointless. Just serve it with RER. It's not rocket science.

I don't get why people keep bringing up a DRL station at the Unilever site. Unilever is right on the Lakeshore/Stouffville GO line and not on the DRL route. Changing the route of the RL to serve a site that's right on an existing rail line would be wasteful and pointless. Just serve it with RER. It's not rocket science.

Yes, a DRL station at Queen and Broadview would only be a 5-10 minute walk away from the Uniliver site. Totally unnecessary to divert off Queen for that. A more legitimate reason to divert south would be to allot for a station near Queen and Carlaw before swinging north underneath Pape.

Back