News   Apr 18, 2024
 694     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6.2K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

King Street (Streetcar Transit Priority)

I think this pilot is going to be adjusted to 7pm soon... It's a sensible compromise and I don't think the Mayor is an ideologue.
https://stevemunro.ca/2018/01/18/the-king-street-pilot-sorting-fact-fiction-part-ii/
The importance of all this detail is that transit priority improvements like the King Street Pilot have many components that behave differently by time, day of week, location and direction. Understanding the benefits of the changes as well as the potential effects of scaling back the pilot requires this level of analysis. A supposed “fix” for one location and time applied across the pilot area could have unwanted consequences.

Few if any ALRVs during the winter though, apparently. Hell of a "refit"...
On the rare very cold morning. We had none last year - but this year is more than making up for it.

There were 20 out on 2 days this week. 17 today. That's more than I saw any day in the fall. Last I saw, only 15 had undergone life extension yet, with 6 more underway.

This is the 2016 TTC fleet plan https://swanboatsteve.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/streetcarfleetplan_201601.pdf which is now significantly in need of revision obviously.

The base delivery number tails off at 204 given that the option had not been approved (and still hasn't) but there is an ongoing assumption that TTC would take some or all of their 5% damages in cars rather than $ which would nudge it into the (guesstimating) 210-214 range depending on the final agreement

From link.

transitnetwork.jpg

If the Transit Priority remains (or expands) on King Street, the 514 could be extended south on Cherry Street into the Port Lands development. Meaning more streetcars would be needed.

However, the complaining businesses along King Street cannot wait that long, naturally, for more patrons.

But likewise, if you like at King East now you can easily get to King West.
This is true. For years, working near Sherbourne, if I ever had to get up to, say, Museum or St. George, I'd take the streetcar to King, and go around the subway through Union. And vice-versa.

Since November, I've been taking it two further stops to St. Andrews , and going that way. Doesn't seem to be faster than the subway, but isn't slower either. And always nice to be outside instead in the tunnel. Plus St. Andrew doesn't seem quite as hectic.

Steve Munro has been claiming that the ALRVs so-called "life extension" was merely cosmetic. The accuracy of that claim is unknown to me.
Well, while at least half of the CLRVs were out on the two coldest weekday mornings - there was no ALRVs the one day, and one the next day.

So he well may be correct (he usually is).

I thought it was the CLRV one that was cosmetic.

Back