News   Apr 18, 2024
 180     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 385     0 

King-Queen-Roncy Intersection/ROW

Other than funding, cannot see why work is not underway for the remaining ROW as it would be finish before the loop. By the time the loop is ready, the 501 would run to Humber/Long Branch allow the 504 to use the loop.

Before the 504 can use the loop, the OS needs to be replace on King that still needs to be replace,

Headway was off the wall for the 504 with 20+ minutes gaps with the odd buses running in pairs.

Lets see when platforms work takes place on Roncesvalles, but 2023 is completion date for this project and that has been my timetable for most of the year shooting it.

Since this is not an TTC project, but an city one, its the City saying 90% work is done which is a joke consider Toronto Hydro is causing all the mess in the first place.

You really hit a nerve with this one. Back when the streetcars were running, I would seethe every time I rode over that slow order, knowing it was a construction failure that should never have happened and was swept under the carpet. When service comes back I bet I will seethe some more.

We cannot have the TTC saying “Hey we got 90% of the job done right, that’s good enough” and walk away leaving defects that destroy the potential value of a grade separated streetcar row.

- Paul

PS - of course, with the low operational standard we have come to enjoy on 501 streetcars were probably crawling over that zone to stay within the padded schedule…..or the loop was full of cars laying over, so there was no rush for the operator to get there…..
Maybe @Steve Munro can get to the bottom of it with his contacts at the TTC?

Normally i'd go and file some kind of complaint/inquiry but I have little doubt it would fall on deaf ears in this particular case. The fact that they are actively aware that a defect exists but fail to do anything to address it is one of the most idiotic things i've seen to date. If this is the standard we're falling to, what's stopping them from doing the same during this reconstruction project if a track defect exists shortly after this project's completion.

Normally i'd go and file some kind of complaint/inquiry but I have little doubt it would fall on deaf ears in this particular case. The fact that they are actively aware that a defect exists but fail to do anything to address it is one of the most idiotic things i've seen to date. If this is the standard we're falling to, what's stopping them from doing the same during this reconstruction project if a track defect exists shortly after this project's completion.
Is it not depressing how so many of us have just accepted that the TTC will do the minimum – or less – wrt repairs and communication?

A similar, though smaller, example is that the TTC had to replace the switch at King & Sumach recently. Rather to my surprise, they took the opportunity of no streetcars and having a concrete crew in the area to repair the concrete around the tracks between Parliament & Sumach, unfortunately they did not do the (much smaller area) of concrete around the tracks between Sumach and River. They are really not good at 'seizing opportunities'.

Reactions: PL1
What's frustrating as a customer is that when one is riding a streetcar that is "dogging it" along the Queensway, one can actually see one's connecting bus arriving at Humber Loop - but there is no way of getting off and getting to it before it leaves.

I have missed plenty of buses that way. Operators refuse to open the doors until the tram reaches the official platform, and if there are two or three cars ahead laying over, it can be five minutes or more before they can move ahead to allow that.

From the operator's perspective - what's the rush? They are ahead of schedule. From the passenger's perspective - it's an added 10-12-15 minute wait for the next bus.

- Paul

What's frustrating as a customer is that when one is riding a streetcar that is "dogging it" along the Queensway, one can actually see one's connecting bus arriving at Humber Loop - but there is no way of getting off and getting to it before it leaves.

I have missed plenty of buses that way. Operators refuse to open the doors until the tram reaches the official platform, and if there are two or three cars ahead laying over, it can be five minutes or more before they can move ahead to allow that.

From the operator's perspective - what's the rush? They are ahead of schedule. From the passenger's perspective - it's an added 10-12-15 minute wait for the next bus.

- Paul
I thought that there was an initiative by the city to better co-ordinate jobs after the Leslie Street track issue after they had to replace the tracks that were just installed to replace a water pipe.

Is it not depressing how so many of us have just accepted that the TTC will do the minimum – or less – wrt repairs and communication?
I will speak for myself, but expect most of the members do not accept TTC or any transit system not doing the max in getting things done right on the first go, let alone quality of service and equipment. It is very depressing to see systems well ahead of TTC around the world with no hope that TTC may get there some day.

I have appeared numerous times before TTC, council and other system with some gains, but mostly fall on deaf ears. A few other have appeared before TTC trying to make changes with the same results as me.

Since the 1990's, only 2 of the GM/CEO have try to make changes for the better with strong opposition from the City since they control TTC in the first place. 2 GM/CEO that I know of have been fired for their opposition to the chair of TTC or the mayor.

A few of us have worked on various CLC for various systems and have seen the pushback from all levels first hands to improved transit on all levels.

Toronto Hydro is part of Toronto system that continues to screw up projects after projects to the point they are over budget, real late and so on regardless who or what the work is for. KQQR is one of many regrading TTC and expect to see it happing on future TTC projects unless there is a major change both within TH as well the City.

You have another player call Metrolinx who is subject to the whims of the Province Leadership that is a real lame duck these past 10 years who has no clue what they are doing nor the effect they have not providing a good transit system at a reasonable price and in a fashionable timeframe.

TTC is great at poor planning and some of that has to do with lack of funding by the city. It one hand not knowing what the other hand is doing as well.

Oct 3-6 will see a great mess for most of the streetcar lines with riders caught in the middle of the mess. Only look at the mess caused by Nuit Blanche for both transit and traffic on Sat.

Other than funding, cannot see why work is not underway for the remaining ROW as it would be finish before the loop. By the time the loop is ready, the 501 would run to Humber/Long Branch allow the 504 to use the loop.

Before the 504 can use the loop, the OS needs to be replace on King that still needs to be replace,

Headway was off the wall for the 504 with 20+ minutes gaps with the odd buses running in pairs.

Lets see when platforms work takes place on Roncesvalles, but 2023 is completion date for this project and that has been my timetable for most of the year shooting it.

Since this is not an TTC project, but an city one, its the City saying 90% work is done which is a joke consider Toronto Hydro is causing all the mess in the first place.
What is the chance that 3-6 months after it opens again, the TTC will close the line for another year like they've done the majority of the last 10 years

What is the chance that 3-6 months after it opens again, the TTC will close the line for another year like they've done the majority of the last 10 years
It's absurd how often this happens. All streetcar lines running concurrently should be the rule, not the exception.
Sydney managed to reduce a rail closure on one of their many "S-Bahn" rail lines (to convert it to a metro) down from 18 months to 5 weeks after public outcry.
Meanwhile we're somehow accepting interminable streetcar closures and that the SRT be closed in 2023, with nothing to show for it for 7 years.

Last edited:
Had a look at the area Nov 13 and this is what I saw.

Drivers parking in the construction zone as on street parking on King St from the intersection to TTC construction Trailer is block off with 4 trailers with switches on them. Lets open the fence and move a few pillions to park where we shouldn't be parking in the first place.

All the tracks from the north side of the intersection new track to north of the east gate have been removed with a section still to be done. The remaining section up to Harvard has been jackhammer and ready to be rip up.

More concrete has been pour for the eastbound lanes

The Bell manhole is done, but not interfering with TTC overhead. Footing in place for 2 more pole east of Sunnyside Av that may have no impact on TTC OS.

Sunnyside loop main support for the OS in place with a number of support brackets missing, but not all the support wires in place. That a long straight of support wire from the new centre pole to the south side pole. I thought there was another pole where the Bell Manhole is, but looks like TTC couldn't wait until it was in place.

A retraining wall is being built west of Sunnyside Av almost at the property line with Metrolinx to allow room to have 2 lanes and a turning lane for Sunnyside Dr.

From the retaining wall to the Hydro building is strung for curb pouring with about 40% pour. Once done, the road can be tore up to allow the new road to be pour and then pave to shift traffic to it. Hard to say if the road will be pour in the next 5 weeks without doing heating or have to wait until spring to pour it.

Most of the eastbound platform at Glendale still needs to be pour. Nothing has happen for the westbound platform as well the ROW. Nothing stopping to have the ROW dug up so TTC can finish the track work up to Parkside overpass.

Don't have time for the 400 photos I shot today for a number of places and only making my back log larger as to when they will be posted.

133A4472.JPG
133A4473.JPG
133A4488.JPG
133A4456.JPG
133A4455.JPG
133A4493.JPG
133A4464.JPG

Dec 18
About 200' of duel eastbound lanes to be pour to complete the roadwork up to the east side of the new eastbound platform. From the platform to Parkside Overpass, a single lane of concrete has been pour. Once the 200' is pour and all the lanes, traffic can be shifted off the New ROW to allow the building of the other lane.

Most of the rebar in place for the platform and when done, concrete can be pour for it.

All the existing ROW tracks are now history up to Parkside Overpass. Still have to remove the track and concrete west of Glendale

The missing pole for TTC at Sunnyside Dr is now in place and no idea what its for since the pole to the east is supporting the OS for the loop now. Was expecting this new pole was to support the loop OS as well the east-west line.

About a week or so of work is still required to complete the east gate switch work to allow the base to be anchor down.

Noticed transit signals on the north east stop light and don't recall seeing it before. They are working with a right arrow.

Only a few missing brackets are missing for Sunnyside Loop to support the OS.

No idea when the rest will be on line as I am up to 55 days of backlog for over 5,000 photo.
1671405254424.jpeg

1671405365911.jpeg

1671405422524.jpeg

1671405496790.jpeg

1671405544967.jpeg

1671405585589.jpeg

Thanks for a photos! Huge transformation. I can't wait till they finish this to only close another section of the line for 2 years 😝

Always great to see there being virtually no work being done on The Queensway stretch of this project for the past 2 months.

Back