News   Mar 28, 2024
 963     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 543     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 837     0 

John Street Revitalization

At one point there was a desire to get this done by the pan am games, is that at all still in the works ?

Looks like something is finally happening on John, a study perhaps. Taken yesterday.

13953794490_11ee791682_b.jpg

Last edited:
LOL!! So here we are, 5 years after this proposal popped up, and all the city has bothered with is to toss a few planters on the road for another "trial". Wow, how typically meek of Toronto. Really makes more ambitious plans such as Eglinton Connects seem like nothing but a pipe dream if even makeover of a short, but culturally important street like John can't get done in a timely manner. I remember there's also another beautification plan for the whole district that looked fantastic, but it's probably collecting dust on some dark shelf somewhere in the depths of city hall.

Last edited:
^ I totally share your frustration Tower, although to be fair it's not like those of us who live and work in the central city can complain that nothing happens in this city ;) ! 5 years is excessive but 3 years would be very aggressive. When you say the "city", I would argue there is no such thing as the city. Every department, every contractor, every private interest, every neighbourhood organization, etc. acts on it's own and the net outcome "the city" is an expression of the back and forth and antagonism between these interests.

Let me give you an example from my area: It required a meeting of 18, 18 city departments and groups to decide (with great debate and many adamantly opposed) to remove a couple of old rusty bollards (read polls) outside the Ossington subway entrance.

One only has to look at NYC to see how fast thing change there.

A crew would go out on the weekend and put some paint down along with planter, chair benches and etc and then sat back to see how the changes were working. If they work within 6-12 months, a EA or what every was needed to make the change permanent took place.

One only has to look what took place at Time Sq where the change improved everyone life for the better including traffic. It takes years or decades to get thing done here and John is an example of the slow wheel. Got to be more than 3 years for this idea already and time to get on with the makeover.

According to the Entertainment District BIA - who is the 'developer' - things are moving according to schedule.

Yes, in Toronto time! It's the same pacing that takes a decade to fix a fountain on University (is it even fixed yet?).

Is there anything else planned besides the planters?

ya, a couple of plastic tables & some chairs but of course the city doesn't want to move too fast so they're waiting until October. that's October 2015.

Back